Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
Dim headlights - Fixed

There have been numerous threads in the past concerning poor/dim headlights. I wanted to share my solution.
In the past, people have blamed cheap headlight units from china, clouded lenses and inadequate wiring.
I replied to a thread back in December 2013 saying I had purchased a headlamp relay kit from Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
I installed it a couple of weeks later but haven't had the opportunity to test it as I don't normally travel in the dark.
Well, this morning, I had to take the coach for her annual oil change and although I live half a mile from the local Camping World, I just couldn't bring myself to go there so booked it in to a truck service place about 30 miles away. This meant leaving at 6am in the dark.

WOW! what a difference

Before, it was difficult to even tell the lights were on and main beam didn't improve it much. Now, I can see the road ahead and main beam illuminates half a mile or more ahead.

What their kit does is by-pass the inadequate (40ft) wiring and the headlight switch. In addition, when main beam is active, it keeps the low beam on as well.

In my case, I connected the power feed to a large half-inch 12-volt terminal in the front compartment.

As an aside, last year I also replaced the headlight switch to fix the dash lighting. That MAY have been contributing to the previous problem (no way to be sure).

I am VERY pleased with the results

Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good idea. I've ran across this when I was researching why my DRLs never turn off. The power for my headlights goes throu about 700 switches and relays and the voltage losses are probably substantial.

Looks like you just signed me up for another project on my Mirada

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks !

We have done that on a few different cars in the past...
so far haven't researched it for the coach... may need to !

(replacing factory wiring with just a trigger circuit and coming straight from the battery)
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I did the same thing with my old Itasca last year. The voltage at the headlights with the engine running was about 11.6 volts. After the relay was installed, they measured 14.1. The light output was doubled according to a digital light meter.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. I never would have guessed it made that much difference.
ga80486 is online now   Reply With Quote

light, lights