Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #15

I'd suggest you let it go as normal.

If you want to get into it anyway, you may get involved with proper wire sizes used vs. requirements for the length of them, as well as amperage requirements for the furnace when running. Amperage requirements are going to vary by model, so you would have to back up into the specific requirements of the furnace you have. Dig those up on line or in the furnace manual. Then you're going to need an ammeter capable of reading 8-10 amps would be my guess, and many/most multi-meter's won't measure that much current. This to see if the furnace is drawing excess power or working as it should?

To answer your question regarding where to check voltage, that's going to be a troubleshooting process. I would start at the power source - your converter/inverter's main output? See if voltage at that point drops when the furnace is turned on? If so, no point in continuing. If not, you might locate the 12v fuse for the furnace at the distribution panel and check again there? At the battery? At the point the wires enter the furnace? Etc.

Best of luck! -Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
The furnace is a 12 volt system?? Learned something there / today. I have only used mine a couple of times, thought it was 120 volt, shore or Gen powered.
Honestly I don't know other than the lights are 12V so I made an assumption the furnace motor is as well. I am still learning. Also when dry camped there is no 120V so I assumed 12v.

Alan

Old 01-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
The furnace is a 12 volt system??
Learned something there / today. I have only used mine a couple of times, thought it was 120 volt, shore or Gen powered.

Traveling in cooler weather, say in the 30's and 40's, the fact the furnace runs on 12v. can be darn handy! Many/most will turn that on to let it assist the cab heater to keep things comfortable going down the road? -Al
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Traveling in cooler weather, say in the 30's and 40's, the fact the furnace runs on 12v. can be darn handy! Many/most will turn that on to let it assist the cab heater to keep things comfortable going down the road? -Al
Al, that is what we did coming down here because it was so cold.

Alan
Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #19

I just checked the batteries and the voltage while the furnace is running is 14v. Furnace off 13.2v. That does not make sense to me but that is what I got.

Alan
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
I just checked the batteries and the voltage while the furnace is running is 14v. Furnace off 13.2v. That does not make sense to me but that is what I got.

Alan
Here's my guess (heavy emphasis on guess): furnace off - converter is providing a float charge to the battery of 13.2. Furnace comes on, voltage goes down because of the draw of the furnace motor, convertor sees lower voltage and provides more voltage to charge the battery.

Fred
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Here's my guess (heavy emphasis on guess): furnace off - converter is providing a float charge to the battery of 13.2. Furnace comes on, voltage goes down because of the draw of the furnace motor, convertor sees lower voltage and provides more voltage to charge the battery. Fred
Fred, you are correct because I have seen the converter change. Is this normal and should it do this or do I need to clean battery terminals?

Thanks,

Alan
Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #22

The furnace blower motor and the thermostat control circuitry both run on the 12 volt DC system. We have run our furnace overnight on just the batteries many times.

When our furnace comes on, none of our lights dim at all.

You probably have a high-resistance connection somewhere in the 12 volt system. Since ALL the lights dim, that connection is very close to the source. Check those grounds at the batteries.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine dim ever so slightly when the furnace kicks on then return back to normal. If that is what is going on it should be normal. All motors take more current to start than they do to run. Depending on lots of factors some units that will not happen some will. You could probably stop it if you really wanted to. New furnace motors, Heavier gauge wiring to the furnace and possibly a soft start circuit on the motor. Lots of work and possible expense or you can just ignore it and go on. The latter is what I do.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #24

It is really hard to relay this kind of information but on a scale of 1 - 100 all the lights dim probably 95 when the furnace motor (new motor) starts and then the lights come back to 98 until the fan shuts off and then they return to 100. I think if it ever warms up I will check the grounds on the batteries. This MH is new to me and the batteries are new Interstate batteries but I have run into a few other things the dealership didn't do as well as I would have done. Thanks guys, it's good to hear what is normal and what is not.

Alan
Old 02-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I have started experiencing the same type dimming effect. I also know my house batteries need to be replaced (maybe this weekend) and am pretty sure the two are related. I suggest checking the house battery connections and have the house batteries tested.