Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dimming lights

Have a 2001 38' Holiday Rambler Scepter that is mostly stock. We recently purchased the motorhome and having never owned a Class A we don't know what is normal and what is not. The lights would dim when the furnace came on but the furnace motor soon showed signs of a bad bearing. The dealer replaced the motor. We are now in Texas enjoying the 'Polar Vortex' and again running our furnace. The lights still dim when the furnace comes on. We are hooked up to 50 amp shore power with fairly new batteries so I am a surprised the lights still dim momentarily. Is this normal? If it isn't, what could be the problem? I would think with new batteries installed just before I purchased the motorhome the terminals would not need cleaned again already. Looking for some people with experience.

Thanks,

Alan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
power surge, what else is plugged in using current,
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
power surge, what else is plugged in using current,
The lights only dim when the furnace comes on so I am not inclined to believe it is a power surge or they would be getting brighter at some arbitrary time. I am trying to figure out if the furnace motor really pulls enough power to dim the single light or lights that are on when the furnace comes on and if that is normal.

Alan
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sorry my mis use of term, what i actually meant is, possible the furnace motor pulling more power, im not too sure, but my guess probably normal. as in a auto if u have lights on then turn key, lights will dim a sec or so as u start it.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #5

You will need a voltmeter. You will need to check voltage at those light(s) when the furnace fan is both stopped and running. Please post your voltage findings. I suspect you will find a substantial voltage drop. Now check the voltage at other lights that aren't dimming or being affected when the furnace is running. Do you see the same voltage drop? If so then I would remove the house battery terminals - clean them well with a wire brush including any grounds that you can easily get to. If no other lights are affected then it's entirely possible that someone previously has wired that particular string of 12v lights to the furnace 12v circuit. Since you are not the previous owner it's difficult to figure out what previous owners have done in the past.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
You will need a voltmeter. You will need to check voltage at those light(s) when the furnace fan is both stopped and running. Please post your voltage findings. I suspect you will find a substantial voltage drop. Now check the voltage at other lights that aren't dimming or being affected when the furnace is running. Do you see the same voltage drop? If so then I would remove the house battery terminals - clean them well with a wire brush including any grounds that you can easily get to. If no other lights are affected then it's entirely possible that someone previously has wired that particular string of 12v lights to the furnace 12v circuit. Since you are not the previous owner it's difficult to figure out what previous owners have done in the past.
Let me clarify that all lights dim no matter if it is one or many so I would expect the voltage to be the same on all of them. You also mention the battery terminals which was my first thought but the dealer put in new Interstate batteries so I made the assumption they would have cleaned the terminals so I dismissed that as the source of the problem. I take it that the lights dimming is NOT normal. Is that correct?

Alan
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
sorry my mis use of term, what i actually meant is, possible the furnace motor pulling more power, im not too sure, but my guess probably normal. as in a auto if u have lights on then turn key, lights will dim a sec or so as u start it.
I have no idea how much power the furnace motor should draw. So the lights dimming when the furnace comes on is not normal?

Alan
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #8

Yes that is correct. A brief flash or dimming while the fan motor first turns on, then returning to normal brightness is not abnormal - lights staying substantially dimmed while it's running is not normal. I still would like to know your voltages on the 12vdc side of things while plugged into shore power, both with the furnace running and not running. It is very possible your converter is the problem, but voltage readings will determine that.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The cables to the batteries may have been cleaned. How about the ground to the chassis?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes that is correct. A brief flash or dimming while the fan motor first turns on, then returning to normal brightness is not abnormal - lights staying substantially dimmed while it's running is not normal. I still would like to know your voltages on the 12vdc side of things while plugged into shore power, both with the furnace running and not running. It is very possible your converter is the problem, but voltage readings will determine that.
I will check the voltage later when I get a little time. Exactly where do I take the reading?

Alan
Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
The cables to the batteries may have been cleaned. How about the ground to the chassis?
You may have something there. The terminals appear clean on the outside but of course that has nothing to do with what is at the terminal. I seriously doubt the ground has been cleaned. I am going to check the voltage drop when I find out where to check and it is daylight.

Alan
Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #12

You can take the reading from any 12v source for now. Once we see the voltages there I suggest you pull a voltage reading right from the converter itself. This will determine how much further in depth you need to go. As suggested, it could possibly be a bad ground, but rather than go thru all that hassle right now we can determine whether or not the converter is failing - if it's not then it's time to break apart grounds and clean them all.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The furnace is a 12 volt system??
Learned something there / today. I have only used mine a couple of times, thought it was 120 volt, shore or Gen powered.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
You can take the reading from any 12v source for now. Once we see the voltages there I suggest you pull a voltage reading right from the converter itself. This will determine how much further in depth you need to go. As suggested, it could possibly be a bad ground, but rather than go thru all that hassle right now we can determine whether or not the converter is failing - if it's not then it's time to break apart grounds and clean them all.
My converter is not on as far as I can see unless it comes on to charge the batteries. I don't know.

Alan