Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

Dinette booth install and pricing

We have been looking to trade in our Fleetwood Discovery 36T for a newer and bigger model for about a year now. In our searches, we have come across some interesting MHs, but some have a free standing table and chairs instead of a dinette booth. We need the convertible booth for additional sleeping (4 kids plus friends). I haven't really found a bunkhouse model that I like so, we have to settle on a model with the convertible dinette, and two full length couches that jackknife or fold out.

My question is, should these models with the free standing chairs be automatically overlooked? How expensive or difficult is it to retrofit them with a booth? Can you find coordinating booths in the marketplace?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #2

Most dinettes are way to short for adults to sleep. You might be better off with a descent blow up mattress. I prefer table a chairs myself.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Our sofa/convertible bed is 68". Our dinette is way more comfortable and is over 76". Just my input.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknjohn View Post
We have been looking to trade in our Fleetwood Discovery 36T for a newer and bigger model for about a year now. In our searches, we have come across some interesting MHs, but some have a free standing table and chairs instead of a dinette booth. We need the convertible booth for additional sleeping (4 kids plus friends). I haven't really found a bunkhouse model that I like so, we have to settle on a model with the convertible dinette, and two full length couches that jackknife or fold out.

My question is, should these models with the free standing chairs be automatically overlooked? How expensive or difficult is it to retrofit them with a booth? Can you find coordinating booths in the marketplace?
I don’t know what the cost would be, but it is not a difficult swap. I called new,at about replacing a dinette table and was quoted $1200 for just the table top. Hat said, I would guess you could have a matching dinette installed for roughly $3,000.
Dgreen1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Try calling around to the RV salvage and surplus yards in your area. You might get lucky and locate a NOS booth that fits the MH in question. I would not limit myself by eliminating free-standing table N chairs MH's because that is usually an option in lieu of a standard dinette booth.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have previously taken out a booth and planed to relocated it. In the process I thought I could reuse/re-purpose the existing one, WRONG. The way they are built makes it impossible to reuse, so I just built a new one.

Now I am very handy with power tools, way above average skill set on this type of stuff, it took me about 4 hours to completely build a new booth from scratch. It then took another 4 hours to apply stain, finish, sand, finish, sand, finish, then install. Was fairly easy to get new cushions made, there are a bunch of shops that do this kind of stuff, not upholstery shops, think patio furniture seat cushion shops.

No idea all in on the costs, but would guess all in around $1K, so if you hired someone would guess all in around $2K.

Hope this helps.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #7

I was in the same boat - wanting a dinette instead of table/chairs. I gave up and just bought the moho we wanted. Unfortunately, this meant a unit that happened to have a dinette. Soooo.....we are now looking at either constructing a new dinette, or finding one somewhere that came out of a salvaged unit. Another option is a company such as this: https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/dinettes.html

About a grand.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #8

I just went through this. I wanted more sleeping space for my kids. I ended up with a 40" wide X 72" long, color matched ultra leather and color matched oak wood for 2681.00 installed. My post is in the Country Coach forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	208281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	208282  

John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I just went through this. I wanted more sleeping space for my kids. I ended up with a 40" wide X 72" long, color matched ultra leather and color matched oak wood for 2681.00 installed. My post is in the Country Coach forum.
That looks great! But wow....almost 3000 dollars!!
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We did a lot of investigating of costs to install a dinette (U-shaped or standard)

Lots of RV repair facilities also do furniture installs and remodeling.

There are two major manufacturers of RV furniture, and when you look at their catalogs, you might drool over all the cool options.

We were prepared to spend $2500 or so for the comfort and the huge under bench storage, but found that our available space was a few inches too short for either the U-shaped or a standard style. The RV center said we could get a high end wrap around unit that included the couch, but the couch would have to be shorter. That was just too expensive to justify.

We are currently putting up with our uncomfortable chairs and table.

Tags
install