Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Dining table remodel

I have looked at a number of threads on remodeling the coach dining area and replacing the table/dinette with fold down to stand alone table and expanded work and desk area. A lot of great looking projects with improved results. I have been wanting to do something with the dining table and 2 chair set up in my coach for some time. We seldom if ever use it for eating. We use trays at our couch in front of the TV when we eat in, so the table just becomes a catch all and takes up valuable floor space.

I saw something that caught my eye today in the latest edition of the FMC Magazine. They had a big spread of the new Millennium Luxury Motor Home. For 1.9 million dollars very nice rig. But there was a small picture of the "dining area" with a concept that I had not seen or thought of before. Rather than a table the coach had a "Counter" type set up with 2 chairs side by side up against a wall with a window in front of it. Plenty of room for 2 people to sit down and eat and have a view to the outside. Also storage underneath and the counter could serve as a computer work area as well. In fact their set up had a computer monitor that raises out of the counter top when needed.

I have the perfect space for this type of set up in my coach and I am going to start working on my plans. Here is a picture of the dining area in the Millennium and a floor plan layout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinning bar.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	64662

Name:	Dinning area.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	64663

Certainly mine will not look exactly like this and I will work with the materials features of my coach. But I am excited about the Counter type dining/work area concept. Let me know what you think. I will update as I move through the project.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
This is a really neat idea! I wonder if it makes any sense at all to put the bar-stools "behind" the table, so that when you sit you are looking into your coach instead of looking at the window or wall? If it's only 2 people, and both are eating, I suppose it doesn't matter (and I'd like to look out a window). But if >2 people (entertaining guests) then sitting on the inside looking out is more social, and allows guests to stand/eat. Just a thought..
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

That would take up more room. I plan making the height the same as the current table and use the same or standard chairs
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
But how do you keep the other person from seeing your cards, or dominoes , or Scrabble tiles?
Just kidding... It's a great concept, give us updates
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Newmar has a floor plan in the Ventana and Dutch Star with a counter and stools. It's the 4369. The plan happens to have a table for dining in addition, but checking out the pictures is worthwhile. See 2014 New Newmar Ventana 4369 at Buddy Gregg Motorhomes Serving Knoxville, TN, IID 11288812 for a few.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

I finally had enough time to layout what I call my "Counter Table" to replace the old table that attached to the wall where you could sit 2 people one on each side. The table itself was narrow so you would almost be eating out of the other persons plate. Then it stuck out in to the walk way from the front and back of the coach as you passed through the kitchen. Even with the slide out it was in the way, but with the slide in it was really in the way and I ran into that thing several times while parked in storage or leaving or sitting up for a trip. We did not use it for eating and it was just a place to sit things. It had to go. After reading other threads about remodeling the kitchen table/both from others I knew there must something to fit my sit up. After finding the counter top approach in my 1st post here, I knew I could design something that would work. I decided that I would use Hickory wood for the Counter Table to match the Hickory cabinets and trim through the Airstream coach. I found a good looking supply at my local Hardwood supplier and began the project about a month ago. It is all complete except a few finishing touches and cleaning the coach but here are a few pictures of the project.

Old Table

Name:	old table.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	67559

Working with hickory requires sharp saw blades and drill bits but I love the different colors and grain of the wood. I joined about 5 boards to form the top with a joiner and glue laid on a one piece backer of 1/4" plywood. The top is then glued and brad nailed from the bottom of the 1/4" play wood so it is now like a solid piece of wood. I belt sanded the top to get any ridges out and then sanded smooth

Name:	Hickork.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	67560

I added a trim board around the outside edge and then clamped everything together to let the glue dry

Name:	clamped.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	67561

I installed a small 1 3/4" board along the back wall and the one end on the right to hold the Counter Table and attached it with screws from the top. I also added shelve type braces underneath for support, The 2 in the middle are are just "L" shape so they will not be in the way while sitting but the one on the left end is a more heavy duty brace to support the end.

Name:	braces_edited-1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	67562

Here is the finished product, no more bumping in to the old table and plenty of room to suit and eat and have a view to the outside through the window. The counter table is 73" long and 19" wide. Towards the right end it tapers out to 24" for about the last 2 feet. This will accommodate a computer work area in that corner and I have added a 1 1/2 hole with a plastic cover for power cords and cable from underneath.

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	67563

I really am pleased with it. The top was stained with a natural stain to bring out the grain and color of the Hickory and I then used a Spar Urethane for a hard bar top finish. As I said I still have a few finishing touches to complete and will follow up when that is don.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy, that turned out fabulous, Don. Nice job on that for sure!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #8

Don,
Excellent work! I can see how the old table would have been in the walking path and probably caused a bruise or two.

I'm going to save you idea for our future MH!

Fantastic!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nicely done!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

Thanks everyone
Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #11

Finished, going camping

I finished up the final touch up items and cleaned everything up and I don't miss the old table at all. Even with the slide in still plenty of room and the chairs are not in the way.

Name:	table1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	68667

Nice area to eat and a view.

Name:	table2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	68668

I am packing up to hit the road.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #12

Absolutely beautiful! I too are having fits about table taking up to much room in my coach and it also being a catch all causes cludder and frustration. Looking into a corner computer set up with euro chair for extended living area look. Sure like what you did here!
jandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandk View Post
Absolutely beautiful! I too are having fits about table taking up to much room in my coach and it also being a catch all causes cludder and frustration. Looking into a corner computer set up with euro chair for extended living area look. Sure like what you did here!
Thanks it is working out perfect.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great work Don. I am exploring a new dining setup too. Maybe not like yours but who knows.

The front curtains I got from you last year are working great and look great too.

Thanks

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel