Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Question, if you have a DVR in your bedroom at home can you watch those recorded programs on the Direct TV receiver in the rig while on the road?
Great question and I would like for someone to chime in on this also please...

Our BENZ Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
Have only had Direct in the stick house. I just take a couple receivers with us and it works fine.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #17

Dish has "pay as you go" for rv's" we have used it for about 4 years. We purchased our equpment (reciever and antenna) works pretty simple, call them when you get ready to leave, and call them when you return and you only get billed for the months you use it. When your out on the road, call them to change your "service" address and you get the local stations for where your at. They also carry forward any unused portion of the month you have already paid for when you stop the service.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The pay as you go has conflicts with the Hopper, because Dish doesn't allow Hopper in the MH. It was always a fight to get it turned back on. We finally just went to a summer cabin account, turn it off for the season and pay $5 a month to keep the account open. No more hassles and we use a Hopper and 2 Joeys.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Have only had Direct in the stick house. I just take a couple receivers with us and it works fine.
So you don't have tp pay extra for the coach????
What do I have to do in the coach to use my house receivers in the coach?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
The pay as you go has conflicts with the Hopper, because Dish doesn't allow Hopper in the MH. It was always a fight to get it turned back on. We finally just went to a summer cabin account, turn it off for the season and pay $5 a month to keep the account open. No more hassles and we use a Hopper and 2 Joeys.
What is a Hopper account & a Summer Cabin account?
Are these both by Dish or does Direct TV also have this?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
So you don't have tp pay extra for the coach????
What do I have to do in the coach to use my house receivers in the coach?
Depends on the receivers. 211 & Wally receivers are typically used with DISH Pay-As-You-Go.

With 211 or Wally receivers, each one would be connected directly to your Travler.

Hoppers are a little more complicated.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #22

But Mr D stated that he has Direct TV in his house & takes those receivers & uses them in his coach & no extra fees.
My question is how can I do that?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had Direct in our stick house since 2004 so we use it in our coach. Several observations:

1. IMO, Direct customer service has declined in quality since they were acquired by AT&T. You can still get someone helpful but it is sort of a crap shoot getting that done.

2. You can just take receivers from home and use them in your coach. We did that at first but then decided to get two receivers dedicated to the coach.

3. When you get out of your home base 'spot beam' you will lose your local programming. That distance varies but seems to be about 150 -200 miles. There are ways to get local programming but we just use our OTA antenna if we want to watch locals.

4. I know the Winegard Traveler HD dish is popular but we've had issues with our 3 year old dish that caused us to look at options. Bottom line, we just removed the Traveler and installed one from RF Mogul. If you can, I would investigate RF Mogul and consider some advantages it offers. IMO, the RF Mogul is better made. It is more sturdy and uses aluminum and stainless steel instead of pot metal in the Winegard. If you decide to change from Direct to Dish (or vice versa) it is easier and more cheaply done with the RF Mogul. For us, the most compelling reason to change to the RF Mogul is the fact that it is completely serviceable in the field with great tech support from the manufacturer. Winegard refuses to allow techs or the owner to do their own repairs. The only option to get our Traveler fixed was to remove it from the coach, ship it back to Winegard so they could rebuild it. Likely a 5 - 6 week process and not a viable option since we are on a cross country trip. Plus, their tech support folks are very hard to reach. You leave a message and someone calls you back whenever.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Question, if you have a DVR in your bedroom at home can you watch those recorded programs on the Direct TV receiver in the rig while on the road?
You can if you take it with you.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Sorry about that statement is incorrect as I have a Hopper 3 and I know of several others with Hopper 3s in their RV.

There is a difference between hat is allowed and what a CSR may tell you.

The only requirement for Pay-As-You-Go is that the equipment be purchased.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Sorry about that statement is incorrect as I have a Hopper 3 and I know of several others with Hopper 3s in their RV.

There is a difference between hat is allowed and what a CSR may tell you.

The only requirement for Pay-As-You-Go is that the equipment be purchased.
Dale, I've been down this road for over a year and finally threw up my hands. Pay as you go has to have purchased equipment. Yes, I purchased my Hopper and 2 Joeys, tried to activate the account and caught lip service from Dish that they would not turn it on for a MH. Their reason was the hard-drive does not fair well over the road. I went to supervision, I went 3 more places and they said it ain't happening ever. After 2 weeks, I finally got them to turn it on, but the next 3 times I tried to restart it, I got the same lip service.

Power to you if you got it to work and if you have the customer service person phone number you called I would be glad to try them, but for now - I've got better things to do than sit and argue with them on the phone. It makes my blood pressure go up and at one point we came to such an impasse I told them to shut off the 8 TVs in my house, and they DID! Wife came running out of the house asking what I did.

It's just more peaceful for me to call it a cabin account and activate and deactivate it once a year for the season.

Also - Hopper 3 no worky on the Travler with out some special procedures to trick it out a bit as you and I have discussed before. I know you don't like when I call it trickery, but it is.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #27

Hopper 3 on Trav'ler is not that much tricky as I do have a Trav'ler with my Hopper 3.
When I first got a Hopper, Dish directed me to a Local installer. That worked out fine. To get the Hopper 3, I just my name on the SatelliteGuys list, got the appointment and Dish came and installed the Hopper 3 with my tripod. I wouldn't ask Dish to deal with the Trav'ler.

I don't use Pay-As-You-Go because I am a full-timer. But as an RVer you need to be a little creative just because you live in box on wheels. Relying on CSRs to understand the RV environment is just not reasonable. RVers probably represent well less than a million subscribers out of 14.5 million.

I am registered, as far as it goes, as an RV with Dish because I had DNS when it was available. I have found that you do not have to get into more details than necessary when dealing with a CSR.

But the Dish CSRs do handle my Service Address changes just fine for the multiple time I move a year.

Using suspension works okay for the part-timers if it is once a year. That is not necessary for all part-timers.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well there you go- you don't actually have Pay-as-you-go, so you haven't had to go through the aggravation!

Hear what you know, and know what you hear, but until you have called and tried to reactivate an account for an RV that has a Hopper you haven't lived a full life. That Hopper number sets off a red flag to them, and trying to explain that you know more about it than they do is like trying to tell the Wells Fargo bank teller you don't want another credit card account!

Changing service address with them isn't the same - you can do that with your home unit if you pull it and put it in your RV for travel across the country, and they never seem to make the connection that you are using a Hopper in a MH.

Now that Pay-as-you-go has gone to monthly instead of actual number of days, its not really an issue anyway to use the seasonal cabin account. True I can only suspend once, but so far I haven't traveled over the winter so it doesn't matter.

Next spring, I may try again. I might dump the hopper and just go to a couple of Wally HD receivers made for RVs, or if they ever allow 2 outside receivers on the home account instead of 1, I can combine everything into our home account. I've got the winter to think about it.

Tags
dish