Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #43

I used to br a loyal dish customer for over ten years then they thought they were too big for the channels to raise their fees and it seemed every year you would go through a few months of channel limbo while things got worked out who lost the viewers. So I dropped the and went with directtv they never threatened to drop a channel they add them in for free. Plus if your a NFL fan then direct ticket is the way to go. I was in the hospital and rehab for most of the season last year and never missed a game watch on my iPad or laptop using a Sony head mounted monitor.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackey Cole View Post
I used to br a loyal dish customer for over ten years then they thought they were too big for the channels to raise their fees and it seemed every year you would go through a few months of channel limbo while things got worked out who lost the viewers. So I dropped the and went with directtv they never threatened to drop a channel they add them in for free. Plus if your a NFL fan then direct ticket is the way to go. I was in the hospital and rehab for most of the season last year and never missed a game watch on my iPad or laptop using a Sony head mounted monitor.
I think the opposite may be true - I understood it was the network channels that got too big for their britches, and grossly raised costs to Dish. I don't know for a fact thought. It is frustrating on the user end.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #45

I was disapointed to learn that DTV does not offer the Pac 12 Network. If you are interested in west coast college football, go with Dish.
dmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #46

Programming important to us

We have had both Dish and DTV in stick/bricks over the years. Now as full timers we have DTV Genie and Winegard's latest Travlr. Perfectly happy with how everything works.
When choosing between Dish and DTV, we looked at the program lineups and chose the company that gave us what we wanted in the lowest cost package. We like baseball, so DTV was best for us.
Not sure if that helps, but it is how we did/do it.
MPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The real test for us is High Definition. Dish offers HD even if you use a single LNB rooftop or any of the dome or portable antennae.

DirecTV requires much more antenna to get HD. No problem if you have the Trav'ler or have the means to set-up a manual aim 1000.2 or .4

In the RV, we use a portable antenna almost all the time due to the fact that we like to park in shady spots. Shade typically means a blocked view of the sky.

So, if you like shade when camping and High Def TV, pick Dish.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #48

Direct TV vs Dish TV

We have Dish at home and Direct in the coach. I've generally had reasonable service from both. Direct seems to have a little more nickel and dime you to death than dish but both do a little of it.

I got Direct for the coach so I could get the NFL Sunday Ticket. It's not available through Dish.

Both outfits charge more than they need to but what can you do? We've always been a society willing to overpay for our entertainment so they take advantage of that.
wmd1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #49

We have DISH for two reasons. 1. We have Dish at home and love it. 2 I bought a Tailgater cube antenna because if I have a roof mounted antenna and can only park under trees I am locked out on reception. If my coach is covered by trees I usually can take he tailgater out to clear the trees and get reception!
normburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #50

We have had Directv for years. Our home system is on the swim system so I aquired a swim system dish and bought a tripod. Set it up outside the coach and used one of our home receivers at first.

I then bout the smaller H25 receiver used and owned. Ordered a new receiver card, activated it and we use that one solely for the coach. Takes up less space, just no DVR.

Sports packages are a must.
mvannote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #51

Direct forever

I am a devout Direct lover and have had it for 10 years plus. Moved from dish because of not allowing me to get local channels, but think they do now. DTV is easy to use and when there is a problem all you need is the 1 800 directv on your cell and they can get you going. Only thing I don't like is they won't work on a RV antenna. Recently had a problem with a LNB on the antenna going out and had to get someone else mobile to fix it. They did send a tech out 3 times to test it and try to fix the problem. They changed my box and replaced all the ends on all fittings on the Direct TV hook ups. Wouldn't have Dish. Got into too many arguments with them, but that was a long time ago. Maybe they have gotten better. I also have DTV at my home and pay the extra $5 a month for the receiver in the coach so I don't have to swap it out. Works great with my Winegard Traveler antenna. I would highly recommend DTV for RV's & Home.
Cactus Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:10 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Question, if you have a DVR in your bedroom at home can you watch those recorded programs on the Direct TV receiver in the rig while on the road?
Nope.
jpm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:21 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
I had DTV since early 1996 (the business started in mid 1994) at home and then in the RV when I bought it. Always good service until ATT took over. Over the last 8 months I have had such horrible service from them (Long story) that after 20 years with them I cancelled their service and switched to Dish both at home and the RV. I've been very happy with Dish and you can broadcast stuff from your home DVR to many portable devices.
jpm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #54

Dish Network

I get my retirement check each month from DirecTV. I am and have been a Dish customer. Go figure.
fourwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #55

I cannot speak about Direct TV, but I can about Dish having been a customer for over 20 years. They will suck as much money as they can from you if you let them. I call once a year and negotiate a new one year deal. I used to be able to do a two year deal but they won't do that anymore. I push the prompts on the phone to cancel service, this gets you to a customer representative faster than any other method I have found. I explain that they are charging me too much and I want to disconnect service. I also explain that every time I set foot in Costco I am confronted with a Direct TV sales person. In addition I point out that Streaming Netflix, You Tube, and Amazon Prime is better than their service and very cheap. Dish always offers to reduce the cost by downgrading service and my response is no deal. We are currently paying $50 less per month than the regular charge for our level of service. This is still way too much but is better than nothing.
Both Dish and Direct are very aware that they have old technology and that on-line streaming is killing their business. When unlimited data arrives for 4G wireless, with Verizon for example, streaming video to your RV will be much better than Dish or Direct TV. Dish and Direct know they are loosing this battle.
When we use our RV, the antenna works great for local HD stations.
Currently T-Mobile has unlimited data for Video & Music, it is too bad their 4G coverage sucks. Verizon has by far the best coverage everywhere we go, but they are being greedy with data and charging too much for it.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
I get my retirement check each month from DirecTV. I am and have been a Dish customer. Go figure.
hahahaha - that's like the retired United Pilot I sat next to on my Southwest flight last year
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish