Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Directv

Hi everyone, just returned from our first out of state (Florida) trip. While using DIRECTV satellite we had maybe half the channels that we usually have at home. I always thought that we would have the same channels that we have at home but apparently that’s not the case. . Isn’t that the advantage of DIRECTV just so you have the same channels? Any insight would be helpful thank you
jimbok58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
If you are missing your network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) it is because they are spot-beamed and in most cases only available for about 250 miles from home.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Lots of moving parts here. As already mentioned, your "local" channels won't be available outside the spot beam.

Also, what kind of dish antenna are you using at home, and what kind do you have on the RV?

And what channels did you get, and which were you missing?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

Of course it appears ATT does not want to pay for the local CBS affiliates any more so at least for us its gone, likely for good.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Of course it appears ATT does not want to pay for the local CBS affiliates any more so at least for us its gone, likely for good.
Or that CBS is trying to extort AT&T. Could go either way.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Talking

You can pay extra for abc, nbc, cbs, and fox,but they may not be you local channels. At least that was the way it was last time I had local service from them. As an aside, I just completely dumped DIRECTTV, as they have gotten WAY to expensive. My look anyway, happy tv, the Muffin Man.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Directv at home and directv satellite on Rv. Used to be mirror channels while away from home, but that was while still in Florida
jimbok58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

I call direct tv when we move out of a campground and give them my new address. Tell them you’re an RVer. They can remotely change your location. Be prepared to be on the phone awhile
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
I call direct tv when we move out of a campground and give them my new address. Tell them you’re an RVer. They can remotely change your location. Be prepared to be on the phone awhile
Just read a couple weeks ago that they have dropped that. You can no longer give them your 'service address' and have them move your home channels to a new location like in the past...even then they would argue with you or screw it up.

I have no idea why they're being pissy like that. Doesn't make sense but that's what I've been reading.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we travel, I just take my HD receiver from the house with me. I have a portable dish which I set-up at each campground. The setup is relatively straight forward, input your zip code into the receiver and it will give you the tilt, azimuth, and elevation angles. Then it's just a matter of aiming the dish to optimize your signal strength. You may not get the local channels, but everything else will be the same. If you want the local channels, you need to call DirecTV, which is a PITA, and tell them you want to change your SERVICE location (not your billing location). Beware that if you do this you may loose any recorded program you have. We use our roof antenna for local and our dish for everything else.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post

We still get CBS on Directv.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #12

I still get cbs nbc and abc but they took fox away.
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Just read a couple weeks ago that they have dropped that. You can no longer give them your 'service address' and have them move your home channels to a new location like in the past...even then they would argue with you or screw it up.

I have no idea why they're being pissy like that. Doesn't make sense but that's what I've been reading.
Don't believe all that you read on the internet..... 3 weeks ago, I had a chat session with Directv and changed my service address. Took maybe 5 minutes. All is well ! Jim HiTec, WHen you get the service address changed, you get the local stations for that address, they do not send your home channels to that location.

Instead of changing your service address, you can sign up for DNS and you will get the ABC,CBS,NBC + feeds from either the east coast ( NYC) or the west coast(LA)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Don't believe all that you read on the internet..... 3 weeks ago, I had a chat session with Directv and changed my service address. Took maybe 5 minutes. All is well ! Jim HiTec, WHen you get the service address changed, you get the local stations for that address, they do not send your home channels to that location.

Instead of changing your service address, you can sign up for DNS and you will get the ABC,CBS,NBC + feeds from either the east coast ( NYC) or the west coast(LA)
I have had DNS for many years so get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and Fox from LA. The problem is the channels if I want local channels for local news and weather reporting.

I haven't tried it yet this year...still on my way up north, but with the trouble I've had changing the service address over the years I would not be surprised if the article about them stopping that program is true. ATT owns them now.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv