Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Directv Away From Home

My setup is I bring the Directv receiver from home and I use a tripod with a 3 lnb setup and I use a in line satellite meter. Usually, we stay in campgrounds with cable TV but the last 3 AZ trips to Prescott, Verde Valley and Safford, the campgrounds where we stayed did not have cable so I set up for Directv. Using the inline meter I got a good tone but no picture. I know there are 5 satellites and probably I was on the wrong one. In days gone by the inline meter worked fine but maybe that was because there was only a couple of satellites.

Some folks on another forum suggested that after I get the correct coordinates installed on my dish for my location that I use the signal menu from the Directv receiver and tune in sat 103. They also said I needed good signal strength coming from sats 99 and 101.

What method do you southwest guys use? Is sat 103 the correct satellite for me to tune to in AZ & NM? Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

southie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
101 is the primary satellite for DirecTV, and probably the only one your sat meter can see. 99 and 103 are the HD sats, on Ka band, and your meter probably can't see them at all.

Do you have the dish with 3 LNBs in one largish oval enclosure? Or three separate LNBs on the end of the arm? If the latter, they're actually going to pick up 101, 110, and 119.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Did you go into the DirecTV menu and select the correct receiver/antenna? The wrong one will not let you recieve a picture.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a Winegard antenna, I suggest you go to the Winegard forum and pose your question. They are very helpful and knowlegable there.
Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good tone but no picture... I know there are five satellites.

No, there are closer to 5,000 satellites, The problem is that cheap in-line piece of junk meter.. It will give you tone on any satellite in the KU band, that means if you lock onto the bird at 82 W or 91 W or 101 W or 87 W or 110 W or 119 W or 127 W or ... A long list of birds in that band it will give you good tone.

Now a DISH NETWORK receiver's menu-6-1-1 page will also show a strong signal, but it will tell you two more things 1: WRONG SATELLITE 2: WHICH SATELLITE This receiver is just about as good as a kilobuck worth of professional antenna pointing meter in case you wonder.. DirecTV's receivers.. NOT so good

They will say "Wrong Sat" but not which satellit..

Scrap the el-cheapo meter and do this instead.

Do you have a provision for an external TV? (I added one) run a coax back from there to the antenna, 59 is ok for this, no need for RG-6, use a small portable COLOR tv (Battery operated) and set your receiver to the antenna pointing page.

Now watch what happens on the screen, when you hit the right bird.. You'll know it fast.

Oh, and DirecHDTV only uses 3 out of those thousands of satellites.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
I think most of the channels are on 101 if you are not using HD get a single dish with 1 LNB that sat is real easy to find
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
I can not aim the DIRECT TV 3 lnb dish. Friends & I work for hours trying and we all have done it many times before. Now I only take it to FL and have Direct come out & set it up for $50. It the works great for all the HD stuff. We stay in one spot for 3 months. We use the antenna or CG cable when we travel. If we needed satilite all the time we would get DISH or DIRECT standard TV.
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said 101 is the correct satellite for MOST ALL DirecTV, sometimes the local stations may be on a different bird, and HD is on not only different birds, but a totally different frequency band. but for most stuff it's 101 or .. nothing.

Now, as for "installing the cordornates on your receiver"... Impossible, absolutly impossible. No provision for that, the receiver, in fact, could care less where it is (or rather could not care less) It does use the ZIP CODE for two things.

1: When pointing the antenna, you enter the zip code and it will recommend initial aiming points. This is a straight look up table inside the box. no "Communications" with DirecTV is even possible at this point.

When you do some interactive stuff like the weather forecast.. It defaults to your pre-set zip code. (or it may) NOTHING else uses the zip code and the receiver does NOT talk back to DirecTV unless it has a phone line attached (Pay per view needs that, eventually)

However. this said.. If you are far enough from home you won't get Network TV unless you are either a: One of the lucky few who can do it (Long story I do not wish to type) or B: qualify for Distant Network Service.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
For all things Satellite TV, I go to www.dbstalk.com
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040
& 2007 Ford Sports Trac
& 2004 Ford Exploder TOAD's
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As others have said you are probably locked onto the wrong Satellite. I have found everything I watch on 101. Use the signal meter to fine tune after you have the correct elevation and azimuth for your location. You can get it from your Directv receiver or go to a website that will help you find the correct information. Here is the one I use if my roof mounted satellite is blocked by trees.

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Also If your dish is different from your home dish then you will probably need to go through setup again. Once you have the correct aiming information you should be able to manually set up your dish and be watching tv in about 15 min or less.

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote