Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

DirecTV from home to our MH ??

We have DirecTV with 5 receivers in our home, and in our 2 receivers with the Trav'Ler satellite in our newly purchased motor home What are the options for low cost use of DirecTV setup in the MH. Can we just take the cards from home to the MH, or do we need to register the MH boxes?
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't have any receivers in my RV, so I take the bedroom one out of the house and use that one in the RV.

I would think you could simply use the cards, try it. But not sure if each receiver is assigned to your DTV account.

I guess worse case scenario would be you would have to take a receiver from the house to the RV
Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

I believe the cards are assigned to the hardware. You would most likely have to take the boxes from the house. That's what I do.
suicidetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cards and receivers are paired, can't change them around. I just take two of the home receivers with me. Been doing that for at least 10 years now with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #5

As said above, i was told by Directv that the cards are assigned to the receiver they are in. They can be made to work in another receiver but you have to go through technical support to get it done. Not worth it.

I disconnect ours at home and stick it in the motorhome when we want to use it. The house runs on a 3 lnb swm dish, the MH a 1 lnb multiswitch dish, so i do have to change settings each time i move the receiver. Not hard and i've gotten pretty good at doing it quickly..
Old 08-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #6

Also, once you travel out of your home area, you will loose ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC
and either have to get them over the air or you can sign up for DNS (Distant Network Services) which will get you ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels from New York or Los Angeles.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we travel, I just take my DirectTv HD receiver from the house with me. I have a portable dish which I set-up at each campground. The setup is relatively straight forward, input your zip code into the receiver and it will give you the tilt, azimuth, and elevation angles. Then it's just a matter of aiming the dish to optimize your signal strength. You may not get the local (national ABC, NBC, CBS) channels, but everything else will be the same. If you want the local channels, you need to call DirecTV and tell them you want to change your SERVICE location (not your billing location). Beware that if you do this you may loose any recorded programs you have and you will have to do this at each location. We use our roof antenna for local and our dish for everything else.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #8

I recently went through this same situation with my new coach, and after speaking with DirecTV, I ordered 2 new SD boxes with cards.
They were $99.00 each and adds an additional $6.00 a month (each) to my home bill. Both work fine, just NOT HD.
The problem with transferring the boxes from home to coach is that the DirecTV signal received by my in-motion antenna in the coach only receives SD and the home antenna and boxes are HD.
I assume your situation is possibly the same.
In the coach only a very few channels can be received with an HD box.
To make things more difficult, DirecTV stated they will be shutting down the SD satellite in 2-3 years and then ONLY broadcast HD.
I will have to change my coach's in motion antenna at that juncture.
Dish doesn't present these issues, unfortunately my coach came with DirecTV.
I hope this helps you.
csidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

We actually have HD box in the RV since our Trav'ler satellite is the dish which receives HD.

This is all good news. We will likely start with using a home receiver box, and then when our trips become longer, add the RV onto our account.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we updated to Direct TV HD at home, I took one of the old SD receivers out and put in the MH, which only has an SD dome. Works great! I think we pay about $6 per month for the second receiver.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My new coach that's on order I got it with a in-motion satellite and the big one that gets HD I forgot the model #... I had them put in a splitter so I can hook up one receiver and run all for TV's from it... My question is and this may be a phone call on Monday am I going to have to switch the wires from the two different satellites on the receiver to change them or will a splitter do that as well?
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Almost all homes are now using the Genie with "Clients" in other rooms. The Clients HAVE to be associated with the Genie (stay in the house) or they won't work. This means, you'll need to bring the Genie.

For me, we have an HD DVR that we leave in the coach. Personally, for the $6.00 for an HD box or $10.00 for the HD DVR box, it's just not worth it to keep switching units. We also tale our coach out at least once a month. We have some friends that will drink a $20.00 bottle of wine at dinner three days a week, but will drag that $6.00 receiver back and forth every time they go camping.....doesn't make sense to me!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

We have Dish with a receiver in our WI home and our AZ home. We also have one in our motorhome. WHen in WI for five months, the AZ box is inactive. When in AZ for 6-7 months the WI one is inactive. The MH box is always active and paired with whichever home we are in. When traveling, we call dish with our location zip code and they give us the local network channels for that area. We used to take our one receiver from the house with us when we traveled and called in our locations for the Network channels. It's much nicer having several receivers and we are only charged for the location that is active.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am not savy with all this Direct TV and satellite stuff so can someone explain? Can I just order a new SD receiver with a card from DirectTV and put in RV? Or do I need a satellite dish? I have a newer RV (2016). Not even sure if what I'm asking makes sense!
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv