Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DirecTv genie receiver

I have directv using their genie receiver. With my old receiver I could take my receiver with me and use my single horn dish either roof top ore outside. Can I do this with the new receiver. I know with the single horn I will only get SD but that's fine.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I have directv using their genie receiver. With my old receiver I could take my receiver with me and use my single horn dish either roof top ore outside. Can I do this with the new receiver. I know with the single horn I will only get SD but that's fine.
Nope, the Genie uses SWM and the single LNB dish does not. You can turn your old receiver on for $4 a month...if it still works!
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We take our DTV HR44 with us and our SWM antenna on a tripod.

Easy to spot the satellites after you do it a couple of times.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

I also use the old rcevr and pay the fee
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

A few years ago direct told me my old receiver was obsolete and I needed a new receiver that I would have to rent from them and it wouln’t Be compatible with my crank up dish. They wouldn’t even supply any upgrades that they offer new customers even though I was a customer since the beginning of time.They even told me I owed for some movies I never purchased or watched? So I went with dish and bought a tailgater works for me costs enough a month with out being hassled.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #6

The H24 receiver or HR-24 DVR receiver can be used with any legacy system or with the new (2005) SWM system. Both have decoding ability for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 encoded signals in both SD and HD. All receiver numbered 25 or above are SWM only. DirecTV plans to discontinue transmitting SD MPEG-2 encoded signals in 2019. They will continue to transmit SD MPEG-4 encoded signals.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The H24 receiver or HR-24 DVR receiver can be used with any legacy system or with the new (2005) SWM system. Both have decoding ability for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 encoded signals in both SD and HD. All receiver numbered 25 or above are SWM only. DirecTV plans to discontinue transmitting SD MPEG-2 encoded signals in 2019. They will continue to transmit SD MPEG-4 encoded signals.
That would be good and would allow RV dishes to continue to operate after next January. However, where did you read this or get this information? I know that this was an option for them but have never seen anything written about it as an announcement.

It would, however, allow AT&T to continue to charge $10 a month for HD, since MP4 SD would still be available. Lots of revenue there that they wouldn't lose.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

I just purchase the receivers and then don't have the monthly fees.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Still $4 a month for service...
Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Sorry, when you activate the purchased receiver you will get a two year contract with programing of your chose and DirecTV will charge you ($10) for use of the receiver. They do wave the cost of the first TV connected to the receiver.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Nope, the Genie uses SWM and the single LNB dish does not. You can turn your old receiver on for $4 a month...if it still works!

You can purchase a Winegard SWM-840 kit to convert your old dish to SWM - we did that several months ago when we upgraded to the genie receiver. I found the SWM-840 kit on Amazon for around $50 and it took me maybe 1/2 hour to install it in the motorhome. Eventually we'll have to upgrade our dome from the KVH R4 but until then the kit works fine.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
That would be good and would allow RV dishes to continue to operate after next January. However, where did you read this or get this information? I know that this was an option for them but have never seen anything written about it as an announcement..
The note is 18 months old and was first from Solid Signal and then again on the DBS Forum. There are four sats in the 101 galaxy. All are hybrid sats. DTV-4 is 18 years old is is running out of fuel for station keeping. DTV-9 is current silent but was launched as a spare for DTV-4 as its expect life was 10 years. When DTV-4 is moved out of the 101 galaxy DTV-9 will take over SD transmissions. As DirecTV still markets SD signals and receivers they will continue SD transmissions, but only those encoded in the MPEG-4 format. The MPEG-4 format enables 2.5 times as many channels to be transmitted on the same frequency and polarization as would the MPEG-2 encoding format. DirecTV own 24 Ku band frequencies for SD use. By the way, they own all the Ka and reverse band frequencies for sat service in the 99, 101 and 103 spots. They currently have 12 operational sats in the spots. Two more launches are scheduled to increase their reverse band capability for 4K service. DirecTV maintains a Moble Division the services RV, boats & ships, trains and aircraft. From the service agreement -"(g)
Mobile Units. We provide Service to Receiving Equipment installed in mobile units such as
campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. However, this Receiving Equipment is not eligible
for the additional TV authorization discount described in Section 1(f)."
Old 08-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The note is 18 months old and was first from Solid Signal and then again on the DBS Forum. There are four sats in the 101 galaxy. All are hybrid sats. DTV-4 is 18 years old is is running out of fuel for station keeping. DTV-9 is current silent but was launched as a spare for DTV-4 as its expect life was 10 years. When DTV-4 is moved out of the 101 galaxy DTV-9 will take over SD transmissions. As DirecTV still markets SD signals and receivers they will continue SD transmissions, but only those encoded in the MPEG-4 format.
Can one infer that the Motosat Nomad antenna will still be able to find 101W using the surviving signal?
Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #14

We have the Extra plan and no other monthly fees for the other receivers
Only one TiVo and a mini, others are just plain receivers

You don't get the local Channels on all, just the designated receiver

All work well and you can activate them on line via your direct TV app
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv