Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

DirecTV local channels on the road

Does anyone have a trick for keeping the local channels on your receiver when on the road? I have the Traveler dish with an HD DVR and every time I move, I lose the local channels and have to call DirecTV to get them reset. There has got to be an easier way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had a phone conversation with Direct tv a few days ago, regarding getting local channels if we stay in one location for an extended period. My account is setup for our sticks and bricks. I take the receivers out of the house when we travel.

The Direct tv female agent with a strange accent, told me I could not do that, when I pressed harder, she got angry and began to read me legal fcc regulations.
I don't plan on changing unless I am going to be in a location for at least a couple of weeks.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #3

The only real way to get the local channels is to call DirecTV and change your address to where you are. When you do this, they connect you to a different spot beam for the area. Note that this changes where paper billing is sent and allows service calls to the new address.
Alternatively, get the DirecTV AM1 receiver and hook up to coach OTA antenna and DirecTV receiver. This provides access via receiver to channel guides and recording off the OTA antenna once you have scanned them in.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
The only real way to get the local channels is to call DirecTV and change your address to where you are. When you do this, they connect you to a different spot beam for the area. Note that this changes where paper billing is sent and allows service calls to the new address.
Alternatively, get the DirecTV AM1 receiver and hook up to coach OTA antenna and DirecTV receiver. This provides access via receiver to channel guides and recording off the OTA antenna once you have scanned them in.
You can change your service address only and not your billing address. Make sure you tell them to change your service address only when you call.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #5

I knew you could change just your device address with Dish, didn't know you could with DirecTV. Good to know.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #6

Service address %^% autocorrect!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

So far, all I do is use campground cable for locals vs. trying to change my location with Direct TV. We just do not stay in one location long enough at this point to mess with it. Doing this also provides the ability to watch something else on the other TVs since at this point I only have a single Direct TV receiver in the coach that feeds all the TVs the same channel. The surprising thing I have found is that in many cases, the locals over the campground cable are in HD......

If we were staying someplace for a longer period of time, maybe I would consider trying to have Direct change my location. And, once we switch to Direct at the S&B after we move in a few months, then I'll think about trying to take the genie and remote units on the road.....
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #8

When you say locals, are you referring to the down home, local news or just looking for the Networks ? ( CBS, NBC, ABC ).

My Direct TV service address is Metro NY, and I get the networks everywhere. They call it DNS ( distant network service ) but it's included in service to metro NY and LA, California customers.

I switched my billing and service address to PA., when I sold the S&B and lost the networks. I called them back and gave then the old address for service and all is good.

While in Florida for the winter, I get to watch weather in NY. Makes me glad I not there.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

call and call

We have to call Direct every few days as we change locations. Sometimes it is easy and sometimes the person we get on the phone doesn't understand what to do........
Would not do Direct TV again.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #10

Make sure you call DirecTV AFTER 3:30 PM Central Time. The idiots east of the Mississippi have no idea how to do the switching. I had two of those "phone experts" tell me it couldn't be done. One hung up on me. Another did something on her end so I lost all reception, then had the gall to tell me It was the weather or--maybe, just maybe--I did something to lose the signal.(and it was a clear, calm nite) I hadn't even touched the TV or remote!!
Another so-called expert told me I would be guilty of fraud if I had my signal changed and not my billing address to the same place.

CALL AFTER 3:30 PM CENTRAL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The [lack of] training of the Direct TV reps is dismal, and few of them ever learn to deal with people who move around. If you have a mobile account it is usual better (at least they expect you to move), but many of the reps just don't get it when you want to change a residential account.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Change your account to an RV account. You'll have to send in a copy of your RV registration. You then be able to receive the EAST and/or WEST COAST CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and FOX ANYWHERE. Your home service address will allow you to still receive your home local, WHEN IN YOUR HOME LOCALS SPOT BEAM.

Below is a link to DTV's Distant Network Services (DNS).

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #13

I pay a fee and get LA and NY network feeds for the big 4 everywhere. As stated earlier I had to sign up for Mobil service and send a copy of RV registration
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Change your account to an RV account. You'll have to send in a copy of your RV registration. You then be able to receive the EAST and/or WEST COAST CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and FOX ANYWHERE. Your home service address will allow you to still receive your home local, WHEN IN YOUR HOME LOCALS SPOT BEAM.

Below is a link to DTV's Distant Network Services (DNS).

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf
I had no idea that is how it worked. So, what exact channel numbers do you end up plugging in for the DNS stations? I thought all this time it was either/or. I had no idea you could still get your home area locals once you were back in the footprint. Yuck, I see an extra $15 per month? No thanks.