Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dirt Devil Central Vac Bag

We have a Dirt Devil central vac in our new-to-us Phaeton. When we tried to use it it worked OK, but didn't have as much suction as we expected. After a few minutes of vacuuming it went dead, as if a circuit breaker had popped. I couldn't find a breaker, but the next day it was working again.

I thought that a full bag might be causing low suction and the shut down (due to overheating from an air blockage), so I opened up the box and found the bag laying on the bottom of the box. It was clean, but not in the air flow so it wasn't doing anything of value. There were two additional filters downstream, the first was a coarse screen-line material, similar to a Scotch Brite, with a fine cloth after that. Those were very dusty, so I shook them out as well as I could and reinstalled them. I couldn't figure out what was supposed to keep the bag on the hose nozzle (where it enters the vac box).

Is there a clip or other fastening that holds the bag? Has anyone else experienced lackluster vacuum from their Dirt Devil System? (I ran out of time and didn't check it after I shook out the downstream filters, so it might be better now.)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

Mine works great clean and reinstall exhaust filters and install bag you should have good suction. One possibility is the bag has never been installed and the dirt ruined the motor. Or the filter not being installed blocked the air flow to the motor making it over heat and shut off.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I agree with Tha_Rooster's comments.
Our Dirt Devil CV950 works quite well.
The Secondary Filter #4929 is gently hand washable and wraps over Support #4928. The Filter Bag #7767 has a heavy cardboard collar with an elastic seal that fits over the suction inlet connector against Support #4934. No other clips or retainers are required. Just expand the pleats by gently pulling on the filter bag and slide the collar onto the inlet connector.
Please refer to pics below.
Reference Schematic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405797983.659287.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	713.4 KB
ID:	68410
Filter Bag Collar with beige Elastic Seal:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405798169.417458.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	749.2 KB
ID:	68411
CV950 showing Inlet Connector and Support #4934 on left and Secondary Filter #4929 wrapped over Support #4928 at rear of canister:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405798546.645614.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	611.8 KB
ID:	68412
Congratulations on your new coach!
In case the Dirt Devil Owner's Manual didn't accompany your Phaeton, here is a link that may be helpful:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/402...v-S-Cv950.html
Safe travels!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for Pix and Link

Doc,

Thanks for the great pictures and the link to the manual. Looks like the cloth-like filter goes upstream of the scotch-Brite type filter, so I'll need to reverse it. I'm guessing that the dealer just slapped on whatever paper filter they had on hand, because it would never stay on while in use. I ordered some genuine Dirt Devil bags, so maybe that will do the trick. It also looks like I have different attachments. Guess I'll order the Dirt Devil ones when I'm satisfied with the system's performance.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

ProjectPro
You're very welcome! Definitely a plan to order the genuine Dirt Devil Bags.
FYI, our unit is mounted on the ceiling in a basement storage bay. There is a suction inlet in the basement and another inside the coach connected by a hose. I have taken the liberty of providing a few more pics for greater clarity.
CV950 with Top Cover removed showing the "Primary" Filter Bag in place:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405871307.027812.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	68549
CV950 with the Filter Bag and "Secondary" Filter removed:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405871463.351739.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	733.4 KB
ID:	68550
The white cloth-like Secondary Filter (#4929) shown folded over the black Scotch-Brite type Support (#4928):

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405872001.143306.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	850.7 KB
ID:	68551
In our unit, the left edge without the fold-over slides nicely into a slot/space between the rear of Support #4934 and the back wall of the canister on the left. The right edge with the fold-over forms a friction fit with the right canister wall, as well as with the top and bottom walls. The suction is created by the motor on the rear wall pulling air through the filter bag, then the white secondary filter and finally the black support material.
Good luck!
Hugh
Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you had the dealer install the vacuum, it should have came with three bags along with the attachments. My wife loves ours, have one in the MH and 5th wheel.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Removing the Connecting Hose

Ordered the correct bag and it grips just fine. We still have low suction, so I thought I would remove the extension hose (6452-05) to isolate the problem to either the vacuum unit or the house "plumbing". The hose doesn't want to come off, and the installation book doesn't mention how it attaches. (Our installation is similar to Method E, except that the vacuum line points up.) It looks like the hose ships without fittings, then 7471-G flex connectors are added at installation time after the hose has been cut to size.

Both of these parts are shown on the drawing, but not discussed nor listed in the parts list. Does anyone know how these fit together? If I disassemble the connector, do I need a new connector?

More to the point, does anyone know how to detach the extension hose's connector at the vacuum box?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I will have a closer look at our CV950 this weekend, as I am temporarily working full time this week.
In the meantime, here are a few links (which you may well have already viewed) with a slightly different perspective on installation from the Manual that MAY provide some clues to assist in addressing your dilemma.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/applian...il_install.php

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...duct_Guide.pdf

I'll let you know regarding our system as soon as I get a chance.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

As mentioned in a previous post, our CV950 is mounted on the ceiling of one of the storage bays in our coach as shown in this photo:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412017249.196566.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	75320
I moved the vacuum from the side wall on the left of the photo to the ceiling to create more usable storage space in the compartment and to prevent the vacuum unit from interfering with items stored in the slide-out tray mounted on the bay floor.
The photo below shows the hose from the vacuum going into an adjacent sealed compartment to the interior inlet valve to service the inside of the coach:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412017586.655069.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	702.3 KB
ID:	75321
As you can see from the close up photo below, the wire-reinforced flex hose is friction fit to the hose adapter fitting and secured with a SS hose clamp:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412017833.500863.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	75322
Basically, the PVC fittings (inlet connector, T-Fitting, inlet reducer, hose adapter, valve extension, etc, are glued together, but in this system the flex hose can be removed by loosening the hose clamp at both the vacuum end and the interior inlet valve end.
Unfortunately, it looks like this information may not be much help in your installation...
Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Kink / Crush???

I finally got the connecting hose off at the unit. A screw had been added through the connecting hose and mount to keep it in place, I guess. There is great suction at the box, but very little at the wall connection. Since the vac also cuts off after about 5 minutes I suspect that I have a crushed or pinched connecting hose. This would keep adequate air from reaching the motor and cause the thermal protection device to activate (as well as drop the suction at the wall plate).

It looks like it is only a 4 or 5 foot run from the vacuum to the wall plate. The problem is that it disappears, possibly under the fridge. I think I will have the shop check it out while they have the fridge out to install the Amish cooling unit in my Nevercold.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad the proprietary bag and the vacuum itself appear to be working properly.
Good plan. Looking forward to a successful outcome! Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Latest Twist - The Hose, That Is

Today I decided to disassemble the inlet valve and any associated fittings from inside the coach. I took off the inlet valve, and much to my surprise there was a clump of dust and debris just below the opening where the valve plugs in. I dug around the best I could with my fingers and was able to pull a baseball-size collection of junk out of the unit. That seemed to help a little, but it still isn't good enough.

From the best I can tell, there is an ell that points down immediately after the reducer. I can feel around and it feels like there is some kind of grate down there. Nothing of the kind is shown in the manual - it shows a straight shot from the valve, to the reducer, then to the connecting hose.

My next effort will be to take my powerful shopvac to the coach, disconnect the connecting hose at the basement, then try to "back flush" all of the crud into the shop vac from the wall valve. I should also try to find a tool that looks like a dentist's mirror to determine if there is, in fact, some kind of grate in there. If so, I suspect that I'll be digging and shopvac-ing often unless I correct the plumbing.

The next installment should be within a week or so...
Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quite the intriguing journey! This is a situation where a fibre optic camera would come in handy. Looking forward to the next instalment...
Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I installed my Dirt Devil there was nothing between the valve and the vacuum. The PO probably sucked up something that got lodged in the line.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote