Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Disabling ABS

Please try to hold back on lectures about why I should not disable my ABS system. I am simply looking to run a test to compare driving with and without ABS functioning on my coach. Attached in a picture of the fuse panel in one of my rear compartments. I would assume that pulling the 25 amp power fuse would be the way to do this and leave the other fuses in place? Thanks in advance. Coach is a 2003 DP Monaco on a roadmaster chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151228_084017.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	115132  
evotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

No lecture here.

You could just unplug a wheel sensor and the system will fault out.

You do know that ABS only activates during partial skidding conditions.

It does not effect normal braking.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No lecture here.

Thanks. It does not effect normal braking unless there is a problem in the system that I am trying to isolate. I should have included that. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should think pulling the fuse will do the job.. There are a few other things you could disconnect

On some models of GM products simply holding the brake pedal depressed during startup does the job but I doubt yours is one of those.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

What exactly is the problem? I've had the dash ABS light stay on. A friend told me to use my power washer to spray the ABS rotors, it turned off the dash light by removing road dirt from the rotor. ABS Brake Light On - What Does it Mean
Not so lucky with DW's Jeep. Mechanic said computer module is bad = $700 + labor; OR, I could ignore the light and drive without ABS, just like I did prior to them being invented. We chose the latter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
No lecture here.

You could just unplug a wheel sensor and the system will fault out.

You do know that ABS only activates during partial skidding conditions.

Partial skidding conditions?

I've had my ABS activate on my 2004 Monaco La Palma three times. Every time it was dry pavement and at about 55 mph when people cut in front of me trying to take an exit from the freeway. Two times were at the same exit in Sacramento...I change lanes when I go through there now.

I never had a skidding condition so I'm not sure what you mean.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Partial skidding conditions?

I've had my ABS activate on my 2004 Monaco La Palma three times. Every time it was dry pavement and at about 55 mph when people cut in front of me trying to take an exit from the freeway. Two times were at the same exit in Sacramento...I change lanes when I go through there now.

I never had a skidding condition so I'm not sure what you mean.
Try your panic stop without ABS.

An anti-lock braking system (ABS) is an automobile safety system that allows the wheels on a motor vehicle to maintain tractive contact with the road surface according to driver inputs while braking, preventing the wheels from locking up (ceasing rotation) and avoiding uncontrolled skidding.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Try your panic stop without ABS.

An anti-lock braking system (ABS) is an automobile safety system that allows the wheels on a motor vehicle to maintain tractive contact with the road surface according to driver inputs while braking, preventing the wheels from locking up (ceasing rotation) and avoiding uncontrolled skidding.
I've been driving since the early 60's and am familiar with panic stops before ABS came along. I'd never be without it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

ABS is not just for slippery roads - hard braking can produce a skid condition on dry pavement. A "skid" occurs anytime the brake locks the wheel sufficiently to stop it from spinning while the vehicle continues to move. If the chassis is moving but the ABS detects that the wheels have [nearly] stopped turning, it adjust the brake pressure downward to avoid a lock-up and skid.

ABS has no effect whatsoever if the wheel speed is not nearing the lock-up condition.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help. With the fuse removed, my problem disappeared. Despite their being no trouble code or ABS light in slow speed stop and go my brakes would get very funny in a scary way. May need an ABS module, but for now I am perfectly comfortable driving without it.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #11

Wow, ran across that problem when air brake antilock first came out, way back when.

We had 4 Ford, 6 wheel rear load garbage trucks. When they acted up the air would keep poping off at the module as you rolled along.

Ford's fix was to cut the feed wire to the module and change the brake shoes. The anti lock shoes had a higher friction block, making lock up skids to easy.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #12

I had a truck with ABS that acted funny as it came to a stop. The steering knuckles were rusty, that lifted the ABS sensors away from the tone wheel. They worked fine, except at low speeds. They didn't read any speed below about 3 MPH. As you came to a stop, as you dropped below 3 MPH, it thought the wheels locked and the ABS would release that wheel. Made it buzz and pull towards the side that wasn't acting up. You'd be able to find a condition like that with a scan tool that can read all the speed sensors.

It is also worth noting that modern ABS systems do more than keep the wheels from locking. They do traction control, stability control, and brake proportioning. Probably not doing traction or stability control on a 2003 coach, but it might have active proportioning. With fuses pulled, it will default to a set proportioning that may or may not be what you need for a particular stop. Just something to remember if you get into a panic situation.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

That brings this to mind.

To the OP, did you ever check your wheel bearing end play.

A loose wheel bearing on any wheel could confuse the wheel sensor, like the last poster mentioned.

Something worth checking.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
With the fuse removed, my problem disappeared. Despite their being no trouble code or ABS light in slow speed stop and go my brakes would get very funny in a scary way. May need an ABS module,
I would be inclined to look at wheel sensors first. An erroneous report from a wheel that it was about to lock-up would trigger the ABS into action.

Most anybody over 40 has probably driven non-ABS vehicles for many a year.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs