Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I visited multiple RV dealers in the DFW area, and even some as far away as Seattle over a 6 mo period. Actually enjoyed testing and laughing at the games and lies from some, and the efforts of a good salesman who had nothing that fit my desires. I ended up getting a nice coach for a fair price from Prosales RV in Colleyville. They spent hours working with me on the inspection, found a few minor things, and they took care of everything. Nice folks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having no RV experience my wife and I set out to find a used MH at a low price point. We did not want to put too much into it until we tried RV'ing. We were all over Central / South Florida, we kissed a lot of pigs and licked a lot of frogs, before we found a suitable unit at a suitable price. Knew it was the one as soon as we walked into it. We have done a bunch of little nit picky repairs and upgrades but that really helps with the learning curve.

Getting back to the subject, we talk about upgrading a few model years. However; there is so much junk out there we dread the chore. I'm amazed at amount of De-Lam on units well into the 2000's, and just the overall lack of care.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by worleybyrd View Post
i just got a used 98 safari 40' dp and had some records but the price was right and i had to fix the 110v plug for the fridge, driver power seat, awning, steps,and the hurricane hot water system. none of it worked when the dw and i looked at it. i took it to a local rv shop in toledo ohio and they said all of it needed replaced with new at the tune of around 5000.00 so i was considering having all the work done with them. after i got to thinking about it i took the rig home and just started looking at how the things work and the steps they said needed a motor and control box, the awning they said had no motor and they couldn't get one and the driver seat needed all new components. so the steps was just a bad ground, the driver seat was the power and ground was not hooked up, and the awning ready for this ?????? they said it had no motor and couldn't get one ............well guess what???????? they never turned the power switch on. so i fixed everything with just some cleaning and about 5.00 from the auto store for connectors and elec tape. the old owner just got the coach and drove it one time ( he also go it used ) and said it was way to big and he just was worried driving it. so i guess even if you get a used rig everything can be fixed and a lot of times you can fix everything yourself if you just set back and think about how it works. i can't afford to buy a new rig ( i would love to ) so used is all i got and i make it work.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but when I saw your username I had to laugh and respond. There's a lady her in Columbus, MS whose real name is Whirlie Byrd!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought ours from a private party. We are brand new to RVing but found out fast where all the old used car salesmen went ..... they're selling RV's!
We did luck out as, for its age, the MH is in overall excellent shape. All books & complete maintenence records (that's a must imho) were there.
Yes we are finding a few issues but overall, we're happy!

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
You're probable aware of this but a lot of people sell on the net. They might be getting rid of a unit because they can't travel any longer. That will happen to all of us. Or they may be wanting to upgrade and know they might be able to get a little more than an RV dealer would give them. There are a lot out there but it may take some searching. We traded our 99 Dutch Star with 33,000 miles and only got 25-K for it in 2010. I spent a week cleaning and waxing it. It looked like it came off the showroom floor. The owner of the dealership low balled me with an offer for 19-K I laughed at him. Then told him that he insulted me, which he did. He came up to 25 and I took it. It almost paid off the truck.

I didn't think I could sell it and I didn't want to go through the trouble. It was in excellent shape and well maintained. They guy who bought it only paid 25-K for it as well. We traded it in on a 2010 F-150 so we could pull a trailer.

I've read about a lot of people on these forums that have bought used and if they were careful shoppers they did OK. It really helps if you can fix a lot of the stuff yourself. If I were 10 years younger I think I would have bought used and brought everything up to top shape. Getting the right floor plan is important. Some of the rest of it can be upgraded. I didn't know this but there are a lot of RV salvage yards around. That's where our brand new totaled TT went. It didn't have 1,000 miles on it and got hit in a service area by a dump truck. A lot of good stuff went into the junk pile.

Keep looking you'll find a good one.

TeJay
My uncle buys used trailers. However, he's a jack of all trades and can fix anything. I agree. If you're not a DIY person, buy new.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by worleybyrd View Post
i just got a used 98 safari 40' dp and had some records but the price was right and i had to fix the 110v plug for the fridge, driver power seat, awning, steps,and the hurricane hot water system. none of it worked when the dw and i looked at it. i took it to a local rv shop in toledo ohio and they said all of it needed replaced with new at the tune of around 5000.00 so i was considering having all the work done with them. after i got to thinking about it i took the rig home and just started looking at how the things work and the steps they said needed a motor and control box, the awning they said had no motor and they couldn't get one and the driver seat needed all new components. so the steps was just a bad ground, the driver seat was the power and ground was not hooked up, and the awning ready for this ?????? they said it had no motor and couldn't get one ............well guess what???????? they never turned the power switch on. so i fixed everything with just some cleaning and about 5.00 from the auto store for connectors and elec tape. the old owner just got the coach and drove it one time ( he also go it used ) and said it was way to big and he just was worried driving it. so i guess even if you get a used rig everything can be fixed and a lot of times you can fix everything yourself if you just set back and think about how it works. i can't afford to buy a new rig ( i would love to ) so used is all i got and i make it work.
Good for you!
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #21

Check out Foretravel of Texas and Motorhomes of Texas.
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
Why don't you take a look at the classifieds here on iRV2. I have bought some really good deals on base plates and tow bars
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #23

Hello I bought new to me used 2005 Beaver Patroit Thunder on line once I knew what I wanted then I went after coaches which fit my bill. Took me a few months lQQking and emailing but got it down to 2 coaches made all the plans over a email flew down for a personal look and bought it. I live in Canada and bought it in the States could not be more happy.Bought it from Penterra Coach & RV in Angola Ind honest honest honest people to deal with
Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #24

Disappointment in a used RV you say?

Can happen in a brand new one too, starting from the day you bought it. Grrr....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
When I went out to buy my first Class A (last spring) We shopped and shopped and more shopping. But we finally found what we were looking for. We saw lots of junk like what you have mentioned, they were newer than what we bought, but we bought some quality which goes along ways.
If you see one that you like and it does have a few things wrong with it, then that's just more reason to pay less for it. If your at a dealership (and have some time) all the better. Make yourself a list of the things that the sales man says that won't take much to fix. Then take this list to their repair facility and get quotes on how much each will take to fix. Now your armed with some amunition to go back to that sales man with. I'll bet he changes his tune then!!
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #26

Just got back from Tulsa/Claremore. May have found JUST what we're looking for. If the price and trading is right, we'll probably buy it.
1 owner, 14K mi, 72 hrs on gen, etc. Very well taken care of. Owner traded for new DP.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #27

Good to here you were able to find what you were looking for Good luck with your great new adventure
miketj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
I agree. If you're not a DIY person, buy new.
And then trade every 5 years or so! Or keep up the maintenance and repairs and keep it longer!
Either learn to fix it yourself or have deep pockets. Luckily I can fix most everything myself and we have some $$ to spend!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote