Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

discontinued for 2013

thor serrano, damon avanti, monaco vesta/holiday rambler trip have all been axed for 2013. has the FRED 29 to 34 foot experiment flopped? if so , any input on why? too pricey, too noisy? i kinda liked them... much roomier than the mercedes sprinter competitors which are pricey too.
vvoicemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Discontinued 2013

I think those models were not selling well and that is why they may have been axed. Also, the true FRED (Front Engine Diesels) chassis were also not a great hit. Several reasons to buy diesel, ride, torque, power, floorplan and quiet up front. The FRED chassis did not lower the noise up front significantly to make up for the extra cost between gas and diesel chassis.

Just my 2c

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

I'm a newbie to motorhomes (not RVs) but as somebody that just bought one of these last year new (Thor/Damon Avanti 2806) those units are a niche-market and the buyers love them for their reasons but there's not enough of those buyers.

Think it all really boils down to you really need your reasons to buy a 125k MSRP 30' motorhome vs. spending that same money on a slightly used larger pusher or one heck of a gasser. Same goes for the Sprinter class B's IMO.

Think that the space/cost factor really factors these units out for most folks.

I know we set a parameter on a 30' limit based on the USFS campsites and we wanted diesel since, well - we like diesels for the towing, economy and range and wouldn't think of our motorhome not being one. We're unusual and I think most in this camp are, hence probably the reason why Thor/Monaco/etc realizes they can devote the floor space in the factory to making stuff that appeals to the rest of the sane nation vs. us and make more money off that floor space.

One thing I often notice with the diesels is that folks tend to focus on the mileage in terms of the savings on fuel vs. purchase cost. I don't think you'll ever likely recoup the costs of the engine but the part that's mostly overlooked is the range. Planning a trip with a gasser means you need to factor in fuel stops every xxx miles vs. the diesel range gives you a lot more flexibility.
mcruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Okay.
I have a niche product.
Now an orphan product.
And I love it.
Everybody has something nifty.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

Exactly.

The cool thing is that Thor seems to stand behind it which is why we bought fully understanding that it was discontinued.

I called Thor and asked them whether I could buy for example, a body panel 5 years down the road for what I'm about to buy that's already discontinued and they said they keep all the panel molds so yes, they would make you one going forward.

I guess this is the new reality with RVs, the only thing that's consistent is change?
mcruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Hey, look at the bright side, my RV company went belly up years ago. Regardless, there is a market for used coaches that still provides value to my coach.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
Okay.
I have a niche product.
Now an orphan product.
And I love it.
Everybody has something nifty.
My ex-wife felt that way about her yellow Gmelin with black stripes.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My coach manufacturer went out of business in late 2009, then came back for service and parts last year. The plan now is to start manufacturing again, but on a smaller scale. Because these coaches are on the ultra high end, I guess they are considered niche as well. However, they can be had used at quite reasonable prices, which we did.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Times change as far as chassis's go can remember the John Deer 460 Ford and the now the Workhorse, the ride was great on WH but the problems lead to demise.
Getting bought up by new company so what may the future hold.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

My ex-wife felt that way about her yellow Gmelin with black stripes.
I guessing a bird categorized in the 1800s by a guy named Gmelin.
Nifty
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

I guessing a bird categorized in the 1800s by a guy named Gmelin.
Nifty
Yes and in the AMC family. Fat fingered the Gremlin. Both extinct now.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Yes and in the AMC family. Fat fingered the Gremlin. Both extinct now.
When I do something foolish in front of guests, DW tells them to not pay attention to me. Tells them I am just her first husband
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, I think the FREDs are a much better option than gassers (I actually don't know why all gassers aren't FREDs instead) but I think the cost is the big reason they aren't more successul (if they sold more, maybe they'd be able to price them much closer to the gassers).

As far as the Sprinters, IMO, they do serve a niche market and aren't really direct competition with FREDs or gassers. There's a very significant difference in GVWRs but for those willing to sacrifice the space, a Sprinter chassis that does 20+ MPG even at 'real-world speeds' is pretty appealing (I think some Ford / Chevy based Class Bs can also do 20+ MPG but only if you can them below 55 mph)
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
When the Vista first came out I loved the looks and style,took one for a ride found engine noisy inadequate power,cabinets and microwave mounted way to high and no engine break. I don't think those types of issues appeal to any niche. At the time I was driving a 39'Providence ended up trading Providence in for a new 2011 40' Monaco Knight.