Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind Send a message via Yahoo to Bauernfeind Send a message via Skype™ to Bauernfeind
Discount on Shocks Class A

My front shocks on my 2007 Coachman Epic are leaking and need replacing. A local shop wants $550 for the job -- I almost had a heart attack! I started researching and found Shockwarehouse.com where they not only had my shocks but offer 5% discount using this code: shock55
I hope the replacement of the shocks is as easy as it looks? Can't I just unbolt them and replace? The coach is supported by the hydraulic stabilizers and there is plenty of room behind the wheel, I should be able to just take them off -- correct?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #2

Yes, easy as it looks. Took my brother and I, with a few big tools, just a couple hours to replace all four on my Class A. Didn't even take off the front tires, though doing so would have made it easier.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauernfeind View Post
My front shocks on my 2007 Coachman Epic are leaking and need replacing. A local shop wants $550 for the job -- I almost had a heart attack! I started researching and found Shockwarehouse.com where they not only had my shocks but offer 5% discount using this code: shock55
I hope the replacement of the shocks is as easy as it looks? Can't I just unbolt them and replace? The coach is supported by the hydraulic stabilizers and there is plenty of room behind the wheel, I should be able to just take them off -- correct?
Bauernfeind - Usually that is all that is required. Usually! I bought four Koni shocks for my Ford E350 but the back two shocks were extremely difficult to get to top bolts to remove and replace. The front had to be jacked up and the wheels turned to the stop to access the shock and the other side was the same. It took a very simple looking job and turned it into a two person (Wife had to come help me. Not enough hands and fingers) job that should have only taken an hour or so. I started at 7:30 in the morning while it was cool and finished it around 4 that afternoon. I have done this before, not on a regular basis so I do have a clue. Biggest problem I had was clearance for these big fingers of mine. Wife made it much simpler with her dainty little fingers. I had to listen to an hour of her complaining at how hot it was and the MH had better not fall on her! LOL! I now have a much large MH and I put new Koni's on it as well and the was just north of $1400 to replace all 8.

Look it over good to be sure you have hand and finger clearance and judge your mechanical abilities against what you see and decide from there. I am not familiar with your unit but shocks all mount very much the same.

Alan

Alan
Old 12-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as you have the tools and know the torque spec for the mounting hardware it is pretty straight forward. The torque spec for my Ford F53 is 260 lb ft for the upper a lower bolts. When I replaced my shocks I didn't know the spec, just used an electric impact to removed and install. A word of caution, the stabilizing jacks are not design to be used for working under the coach. The manual for your jacks should tell you that. When I need to raise mine to work under I always use jack stands. I have a set from Harbor Freight rated at 12 ton for the pair, you can also use heavy timbers. Be safe.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
shocks

i need shocks to so checked shockwherehouse. com found the same shocks
cheaper on e bay / free shipping shop around
mine has a tag axel with air ride i need 2 more shocks ? correct

Tags
class a, shocks