Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Discovery 2010 wiper quit working

2010 Fleetwood discovery wipers not working. Had a power flux with the generator and the wipers stop working along with the light in the bed room. Replaced the switched in the bed room and that fixed the lights, replaced wiper switch but they still do not work. Anyone have a solution or idea.
Glen
hedoiicple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoiicple View Post
2010 Fleetwood discovery wipers not working. Had a power flux with the generator and the wipers stop working along with the light in the bed room. Replaced the switched in the bed room and that fixed the lights, replaced wiper switch but they still do not work. Anyone have a solution or idea.
Glen
Just curious, is it on a Spartan chassis?
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

Yes this is a Spartan Chassis
Old 02-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoiicple View Post
Yes this is a Spartan Chassis
You are not going to be happy with what I am going to tell you. More than likely, you burned out the chassis computer. It is located on the driver's side firewall. It looks like a big heat sink that has 2 large connectors that are secured with an Allen key in the center. Even though you do not have the VIP steering wheel, and instead you have a separate wiper switch which is not supposed to run through the chassis computer, Fleetwood in their infinite wisdom erroneously taps into Spartan's wiring. You can get the wiring diagram from both Fleetwood and Spartan, and try to isolate the wiper switch from the computer like I did. It literally took me 2 days to figure out which wires were intertwined, because they are not supposed to be connected unless you had the VIP steering wheel. After doing all that, I found that in short order, the headlights and the dash fan went kablooey. I reluctantly ordered a new chassis computer from Spartan, to the tune of around $700. When I installed the new computer, all my troubles went away. It is unfortunate, but inevitable. Fleetwood is not supposed to tie into the Spartan computer, but I found several Fleetwood side items running on the chassis wiring. Trust me, you will pull your hair out on this. I spent a lot of time on this exact same issue. Good luck, and please report back with your results.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, I will check that out. Also my seat heaters do not work. I stopped at a RV dealer coming back from Talladega last year and they ran a new hot wire to the switch and that got my wipers to work but the washer and intermittent wiper dose not work. I will try and run the wires down as you suggested.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In some cases the wiper motor controls both park function for your wipers and the intermittent function. I recently had to replace a wiper motor due to the intermittent cycle not working. All is fine now. The motor will work on normal low and high but not on the intermittent cycle, and sometimes will not park in the proper location. Good luck hope this helps.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #7

Bruce, I will check that out because mine will not park either. Was your washer affected also?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #8

Wiper motors I'm familiar with, although not all, have two sources of power.

One is hot to the motor, at all times, and controls the park mode. It powers an internal switch that breaks the circuit, every time it goes to the parked position.

The other is from a dash switch, to supply constant power to the motor so it will travel past the park position.

If the constant feed power is missing, the wipers stop wherever you turn them off.

Hidaway wipers not included. They reverse the motor to park.

Just some trouble shooting info.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure this is pertinent to your situation, but if someone reviews your post about windshield wipers not working, I thought I'd mention our experience.

We had an issue with windshield wipers on our Discovery in a snow storm at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Here's a link to how we "fixed" it:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/wind...rm-247214.html
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure if my washer worked or not. I hadn't checked the washer. The motor did take care of the wiper problem though. I replaced the motor last week and as I said all is well again. Good luck. Keep me informed, would like to see it fixed.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote