Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Been watching this post hoping you find a viable solution. One thought, concerns these harsh chemicals you having using to try and get your windows clean. Won't some of them do major damage to your paint, as it runs off the window? How are you dealing with that?
No. None of it runs over the paint.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Have you tried vinegar yet? Put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and try that.
I tried that and I tried Lime-Away, neither worked. A hard scrubbing with Brillo pads and a tub and tile cleaner got most of it off but not all of it. It's also on the paint above the windows and along the roof- I don't know how we'll get that off without ruining the paint. Whatever this is came running down off the roof of this rig.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
See this thread RanCarr.

Water Stained Glass Remedy!!!

I could almost guaranty that this "Nothin's Better" stuff works!
I used it on salt water etching on my friends Jeep after trying a cornucopia of products. This stuff works! Yes it takes elbow grease but the end product, clear glass, is worth it.
Thanks for this info. I can't use anything that takes excessive "elbow grease" due to our arthritis.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
I didn't take time to read thru all 3 pages, but I've been thru this problem with windows in my house. The reason you can't remove the 'stains' is because they're not stains. Your glass is actually etched, by chemical reaction between the calcium in the water that DID stain the glass and the junk in our air.
I have a bunch of products to try. One or a combination may work. Even if I could get 90% off it'd be happy. I am hoping it's not etched. But I am aware of the etching you mention.

Quote:
In short, the glass has been naturally acid etched.

And it's entirely possible the previous owner probably had no idea himself. The glass can look exactly like it has wet condensation on it. That's exactly what I thought when I tried wiping my glass off.

IF that's the case, the only cure is new glass, I'm afraid.
This doesn't look like condensation at all. It looks like a watery greenhouse white-wash or very watered down white paint. I never saw anything quite like this before.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:40 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
After nearly ruining my arms and getting frustrated more and more I tried Wenol metal polish. Had some left over from my anal hotrod chrome polishing days. Says it's also for glass. I used it with an orbital polishing machine and finally removed all traces of the spots.

https://www.tedpella.com/Material-Sc...m#Anchor-47857

Hope this helps. Give your arms a break! You'll have the best looking windows around. And eliminate all of that frustration.
I have to try something first where I don't have to buy some kind of buffing or polishing machine for a one time use.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #62

I had posted: "A hard scrubbing with Brillo pads and a tub and tile cleaner got most of it off but not all of it."

I took a good look and most of it is still there.

I just tried the fine steel wool recommended here with 4 different products, it did nothing. Neither the fine abrasives worked or the dissolvers w/the steel wool. If things that desolve minerals don't work and mild abrasives don't work...what's left? Are any of those other products you folks recommended NOT solvents or abrasives?

And how obvious it is depends on the light and angle of the light. From inside, the windows just look filthy in the sun.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #63

If you're sure it's not etched, have you tried a razor blade?
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
If you're sure it's not etched, have you tried a razor blade?
The glass is "stained" it appears. Yes I tried a razor blade. The heavest of it comes off but leaves a shadow behind - in the glass itself. The Tilex and other shower stall cleaners with steel wool at least take the dull haze off the glass but a "ghost" remains. They don't look filthy after going over them 2 or 3 times. In examining the coach closely we see this whitish coating on the bottom of the outside mirrors as if something hit the coach and this stuff ran down it. The last owner must have somehow cleaned the huge windshield himself or the glass was different because it doesn't have this on it.

I have a list of stuff people recommended that I can still try but I believe this glass is never going to be as it should be, crystal clear.

The man lied to us just like the other two men we bought used RVs from. Of the 4 used RVs we bought only one man was honest. That says something for our society and RVers doesn't it?
Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

The man lied to us just like the other two men we bought used RVs from. Of the 4 used RVs we bought only one man was honest. That says something for our society and RVers doesn't it?
It may say something but not all of us are like that. I've sold two of them and have been honest about them to the very best of my knowledge. When buying used we all have to accept that some of the problem is us. Since this is your 4th RV you really should know what it is you're looking for. I totally get that you feel taken but some of the issues you've described seem like they could have been avoided had you been a more informed buyer. Replacing a couch with a futon because the couch wasn't right should have been noticeable. Please note that when you get ready to sell that the futon could be a minus. We looked at one with a futon and just walked away. You may get lucky, when the time comes, and find a buyer who is OK with that.

Because you both have physical issues, many of the offered solutions are difficult for you. I think I would just take it to a glass dealer and see what they can do. If they can't do anything then you have to make the choice of can we live with it or do we move on.

We all get surprises when buying used. We had one that we did resolve but I am still kicking myself in the can because it would have been suoer easy for me to see that there was an issue. We needed to find an obsolete part for our oven. After searching long and wide we did find it. Do i hate the guy for possibly not telling me about it ??? Yes and no. Had I tested the oven I would have seen the problem. Just as much my fault as possibly his.

I'm not saying that you should not be upset but in most cases there is plenty of blame to go around. You all just need to decide what issues are important and proceed in the order of importance. Either that or get the old for sale sign out.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
...The man lied to us just like the other two men we bought used RVs from. Of the 4 used RVs we bought only one man was honest. That says something for our society and RVers doesn't it?
No! Say it ain't so! Fine, upstanding citizens wouldn't lie, steal and cheat like some common Wall Street hedge fund manager or billionaire developer or titan of industry, would they?

One doesn't have to practice sleaze but one should protect themselves from sleazebags. The old saying, "Buyer beware" seems apropos. Thanks for lumping me and all RVers together with your all inclusive indictment.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Could it be some kind of tree sap? Maybe it was parked under a tree for too long.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #68
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
After looking at 10's of thousands of RV's and having owned 6 coaches, I'd like to think that I've run across most of the issues I should have paid attention to. Even still, I've spent about $10,000 more than I planned to on our current one. Most sellers don't lie, they just don't give up all the things wrong with their RV and hope you don't notice before the sale goes through. It's unfortunate that most purchases we make that result in problems, end up being expensive lessons.
One thing I have learned, is to make sure I have some money set aside for the incidentals that will come up. If my numbers to purchase along with my fudge factor don't fit the buy, I leave it alone.
Even after spending the addition $$$$$, am I mad at the seller? No. Do I wish he had the character to point out all the issues I missed, Yes!
Instead, I (like most others), have learned to beat myself up for not noticing, not asking and not verifying that all things met with my satisfaction before committing.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #69

The thing is from 1999. I don't think it's reasonable it would be all shiny and like new after the years. Everything (even glass) shows it's age after being in the elements for that long. Might be your expectations are too high for a unit of that age.

Before making comments on someone's character maybe consider his standards were just not up to meeting your expectations.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #70

Life is too short, especially at retirement age, to be upset over something as trivial as marked windows. I say trivial, because in the big scheme of life, it's unimportant. Better to save your anger and frustration for something that is important. I don't mean to be a smarta**, but if you can not enjoy your RV because of the windows, then replace the windows or sell the motor home. All used RV's can have undetected problems that pop up. If your RV drives nice, has a floor plan you like, has very few mechanical problems and can take you to fun destinations, get in and go. You might just come across someone that has a cure for your windows. Then you will wonder why you spent so much time being upset over something so unimportant.