Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Obviously we all have different points of view. With the number of posts that you have on IRV2 I'm surprised that you didn't catch the 10 year old tires.
The dates were on the inside of the tires. DH crawled under with a flashlight to see find them. We diodn't think to bring a flashlight and heavy pad with us when we went to look at it.

Quote:
In all the RV's I have looked at, that is one of the first things I look at. 6 tires can easily be $2000. at a minimum and obviously go much higher. As I mentioned in my own case I did find OBSOLETE parts for my oven. My guess is you can find couch parts. In my own personal case I don't look at RV's that are winterized. The price might be better at that time of the year but I'm not going to ask someone to dewinterize so I can check the entire water system ..... but that is just my choice.
Lucky you. I live where people leave them winterized if they don't plan to use them. They did not use this RV since last October. They were waiting for spring to sell it.

Quote:
It appears that you did not employ the use of some type of RV inspection service. Many, many buyers do not. My first purchase included that service and
the surprises were minimal and inexpensive.
Again, lucky you. We don't have there here. I called several places and no one even heard of such a thing.

Quote:
Lastly I feel that describing 75% of RV'ers on here...
WHERE DID I SAY THAT ON HERE? We didn't look at any rigs owned by people ON HERE.

Quote:
.... as liars a mistake. I don't like it when someone asks for help and then makes a comment like that. Good luck with your issues. I wish you the best but I will unsubscribe from this thread. I truly believe your estimates are way off and offensive to most of us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
OP, I and many others feel your pain. Most of us have had times when our new to us purchases have gone wrong. Spending money on our dreams only to find something closer to a nightmare. I have had to adjust to having no income, always second guessing did I retire too early. Sounds to me like this is a time you and DH need to have a talk about how happy will ya'll be RVing in the future and at what price.
The Coach runs good for being 15 yrs old and no leaks. Fortunately it seems to have a sound engine, tranny etc. I would have been very happy though with either the NorthTrail or the Class-C he just sold. I told him another used RV is most likely going to be another money pit like the used Class-C was and Sunline were . It's very difficult to find and RV that is clean and was well maintained. Most were not. People seem to use them and abuse them, then unload them never mentioning the issues or even bothering to clean them. And anyone who thinks the sellers don't lie is living in LaLaLand.

We put thousands into that CC plus endless hours of labor to get it in tip-top shape and up to date - and took quite a loss on it when he sold it against my wishes. We already have to buy a new commode and Futon (since the Sofa was useless as a bed.) And we're now looking at 6 new tires which are 4 times the price of tires for a Class-C. Class-A's for those people who are wealthy, which we are not. I don't even know if we can find a place around here that works on them. All the places here work on Class-Bs and Cs.

Quote:
I enjoy the outside view as well. I really enjoy it from a lawn chair, setting outside in it. There has been 6 pages of helping attempts at solving your problem on the window, best I can tell no one has lied about their window problem or its resolution.
I didn't say they did and didn't think they did. Why would they? I said those unloading/selling their coaches are a lot less than honest - had nothing to with people on this thread.

Quote:
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this purchase, I'm sorry you feel like it's a money pit, I feel the same way about mine. Yet I still manage to enjoy it 4 to 6 months out of the year, fogged window, leaking toilet seal, busted vent cover and all.

Hope things get better, that your able to look past the problems and enjoy life!
Well the toilet will be replaced as he ordered a new one. The sofa is already gone and the Futon ordered. On the next trip to town I'm going to look for some of the glass products mentioned here and on the other thread.

As for the dinette, I notice a lot of people find them horrible and replace them with a table and chairs. We may do that also but would lose a lot of needed storage space in the kitchen area.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:32 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
.......It sounds as if you guys drove up, saw it, tossed him the cash, and headed home. Regardless of how dishonest the guy may or may not be, he has no fault in selling you a coach that you hate.
To bad you didn't read what I wrote before trying to make my husband and I look like idiots. READ a thread before trying to insult people.

You may see no problem with the seller lying and not mentioning the issues but my husband and I do.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
After looking at 10's of thousands of RV's and having owned 6 coaches, I'd like to think that I've run across most of the issues I should have paid attention to. Even still, I've spent about $10,000 more than I planned to on our current one. Most sellers don't lie, they just don't give up all the things wrong with their RV and hope you don't notice before the sale goes through. It's unfortunate that most purchases we make that result in problems, end up being expensive lessons.
This man, like the last two we bought used RVs from, both lied "and" didn't mention the issues. And to top it off, one of these men had BIBLES and religious literature all over the sunroom where we sat and paid him in. Why not tell the buyer the truth? We still sold all these RVs after putting a lot of money into them - and telling the truth. All still had a few issues and all still sold. The Class-C for example had an inaccurate gas gauge and the genny had carburetor issues that defied repairing. The ladder and roofrack were removed when the roof was repaired. The first few people rejected it but the 4th I think it was, bought it and they're happy with it. The Class-B had electrical issues we did not hide, and still sold.

Oddly enough the 2011 NorthTrail isn't even bringing in calls or offers and has NO issues. Not one!

Quote:
One thing I have learned, is to make sure I have some money set aside for the incidentals that will come up. If my numbers to purchase along with my fudge factor don't fit the buy, I leave it alone.
Even after spending the addition $$$$$, am I mad at the seller? No. Do I wish he had the character to point out all the issues I missed, Yes!
Instead, I (like most others), have learned to beat myself up for not noticing, not asking and not verifying that all things met with my satisfaction before committing.
I understand where you're coming from. We did expect to put maybe $1,500 or so into it with MaxAire covers, MaxAire window vents, maybe new mattresses, a second FantasticFan but did not expect to need 6 new tires right off the bat @ $300 to @400 ea., a new commode and sofabed etc. These tires do look really good with plenty of thread and no cracks so with no flashlight or ground-mat, DH did not try and crawl under it at the seller's home. We took his word for it. From now on we would never be able to believe anyone selling an RV. Terrible thing to say but true. If their lips are moving.... as the saying goes.

Also, like someone on another Forum said, no one is going to spend that kind of money for new tires when selling an RV. They're going to leave the old ones on it. I believed him. All three of the used RVs we bought needed new tires.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
The thing is from 1999. I don't think it's reasonable it would be all shiny and like new after the years. Everything (even glass) shows it's age after being in the elements for that long. Might be your expectations are too high for a unit of that age.
Just to let you know - the glass windows on the 1982 Sunline, the 1993 Class-A and the 1980+ Class-B all had crystal clear windows. No one expected a "shiny-new" 15 yr old RV. If we expected a shiny-new Class-A we would have taken out a loan and bought a brand new one. I did expect more honesty in the seller - so yes, that was asking and expecting too much obviously. And then he calls us back finally and LIES more....

Quote:
Before making comments on someone's character maybe consider his standards were just not up to meeting your expectations.
He had no standards.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
I agree, you did not do your home work, and you bought an older coach that always has some problems and wear and tear, So fix or replace what is broken or what gives you problems and just whistle while you work and enjoy life. You did not I am sure pay the price for a new coach , so you got a deal and now it may cost you to get it all spruced up the way you want it..
If it is just to much stress for you, then sell it. If he don't agree then just pack up and leave. .
And you failed to read the thread before insulting us, including a man you never even met.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
Now there is TWO pages of post with no mention of window glass repair! The tension is high, how long will this thread go? Lol
Old 06-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #92
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Asking for a thread to close is considered off topic. If you think another member has posted outside of our Community Rules , please report it .
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #93

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Now there is TWO pages of post with no mention of window glass repair! The tension is high, how long will this thread go? Lol

I'm thinking this thread is no longer about a glass etching issue & hasn't been for awhile.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #94

Talking You done did it to yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
And you failed to read the thread before insulting us, including a man you never even met.
I read the thread....
I did not insult you, You did a god job of doing that to your self.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #95

Question Next time

You bought it as is....Next time get them to put it in writing that you are buying a old coach that is like in l new condition and that the window spots are soap stains, and everything works 100% perfect, then if you find something not up to par you can take them to court and make them pay to have it fixed.

The problem is with an old coach no one will do that because it can not be in like new condition at that age.

Buy from a dealer, they don't lie.....and you can get a bumper to bumper service protection plan.

See you just learned from alll your mistakes what to do next time.....
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The original poster changed the subject in her post #64. Up until that point there were suggestions galore. Later her comment was that she didn't accuse anyone here of being in that 75% of untruthful sellers (post 85). I guess the thousands that belong here are, thankfully not part of that awful group.

I believe the conversations have been civil according to the community rules. Has it veered off course ??? Yes but it went off course originally by the OP. Is it not fair to comment on the subject change ? if the OP wants to continue off topic instead of dealing with the glass issue, then there will likely continue to be remarks concerning the purchase of a 16 year old, used motor home. My perception is that after 3 purchases of which only one was an honest deal, by your standards, you made monumental errors. I have bought three. Other than tires for this one I found just one surprise and after some deep research I was able to resolve the problem. All the other money we have spent (minimal at best) has been for personally desired upgrades. I feel that my past experiences made me a more informed buyer.

Was Rick's RV Center not a good place to take the MH to get checked out before the purchase ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

The man lied to us just like the other two men we bought used RVs from. Of the 4 used RVs we bought only one man was honest. That says something for our society and RVers doesn't it?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #97

Honesty go hand in hand with knowledge at times. The RV we currently have was listed well below what would be normal. So I expected some "issues". I specifically asked if it had a diesel generator, and was told yes. It was propane. The more questions I asked, the more I realized they simply didn't know much. So it was up to me to look at everything and investigate....which I did. It needed tires....14 years old. Looked good in every way, but not to be trusted. It had some delam issues, so that was a giant unknown. They weren't even aware that the fridge would run either electric or propane, so of course I looked at that. It was worth about what I paid for it, and I could not afford a lot newer. So we come away not bitter and friendly with the seller. They didn't tell me everything, nor did they know everything. Some things you simply have to trust people about.....if they have been trustworthy thus far. But tires? Windows? 3 minutes and very little effort can give you all the info you need to know about those things. Do the windows clean up? What do the tires say? If you cannot or don't want to look, bring someone who can.
Way too many times we fall in love with what we thing we are buying. The rosy glasses go on, and everything looks just fine. When the glasses fall of and we fall back to reality, it can all be different. I see some real bitterness and misplaced anger in this thread. Sometimes it is less painful to be angry at someone else than be angry at ourselves.

I am probably honest to a fault when I sell my stuff, and it probably costs me dearly. I know every inch of vehicles by the time I get rid of them. I do virtually all of the work myself. So of course there is more bad to tell them.....because i am aware of more things. I half felt like I was trying to talk the last guy out of buying the motorhome I was selling. But I disclosed everything. I checked in with them afterwards and they didn't seem to have buyer's remorse. I hated to hear the phone ring for the next few days. Some folks won't be happy no matter what when the rosy glasses fall off. And sometimes by that time there is no way to make you both whole again. So it is what it is.
I am not making judgements about anyone involved here. But life is certainly too short to stay bitter about anything. When life hands you a lemon, sometimes the best thing to do is start making lemonade.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
As for 'off topic'--

The very first words of this thread are "What I was led to believe by the seller was nothing more than soapy water spots on all the windows..."

Ergo, as I see it, the topics (<plural) of this thread from the very beginning, have been "less than honest sellers", and "water spots that aren't water spots".

Carry on...

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote