Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So from the very beginning my guess has been that at some point someone cleaned the roof. I don't know about others but I have cleaned my roof. As a matter of fact I did it this year. I used a soap with Clorox in it. At this moment the exact name escapes me but I also used another cleaner that had bleach in it. As I rinsed the roof off it would streak down the side of the bus, obviously including the windows. Once done the roof I cleaned the bus itself. My driveway (asphalt) now seems to have some white/off white streaking on it. So with that knowledge my offering is that it COULD HAVE BEEN caused by a roof cleaning that was never properly completed.

Of course that has no true relation to the problem of how to make the windows right and it may not even be the cause but if the seller BELIEVED it was nothing more than a soapy residue then it is possible he honestly didn't know it would turn into this magnitude of a problem. None the less there are many offered resolutions that have been offered and possibly still untried.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #100

I bought my rv from a pastor. Yes sir everything is in great working condition. Being new to rving I trusted him, on most stuff. You learn the hard way. Dryer shot 500, carburetor shot 319, water damage 100 plus hours and 200. Lp system needed work 200, newest issue freezer work fridge not sure. If it does it cools really slow. Almost forgot battery system for coach including inside switches Boom no good. Luckily I could wire around and put a high amp switch in. This is my home for several months , being lied to pissied me off. Now I know everything is getting fixed my way ☺. good news the microwave worked so I could have popcorn while I worked. Lol

Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #101

These stains take time and soaking.

Back to the glass.

Water exposure over time causes buildup and etching.

So it takes time to undue the buildup or work or both.

Place a paper towell over an area and tape the top to the glass to hold in place.

Spray vinegar on towel away from taped spot to get it soaked to keep it wet against glass.

Repeat spraying to keep wet or fashion a bottle and hose or straw to drip on it for some time.

After a day or so remove and see if it has softened it at all and determine if valud for your issue.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #102

To buy from a private party, you should always have an independent mechanic check
it out and find out what you need to fix to make it safe, and what you need to make you happy. Unless you know the party like family members this is a must. Now if you buy a Motor Home from a dealer, because the law assumes they are knowledgeable about the product they are selling they have to at least make sure the tire tread is good, and the brakes and safety equipment are in working order.
But for a small fee you shuld have it checked out by an independent tech person before you plunk your money down and go home with sour grapes.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #103

WOW! I hadn't read this thread for quite sometime and had hoped all the additional posts were congratulating the OP on getting the windows clean.

I'm sorry that wasn't the case and for all of the issues with the coach. I would be disgusted and disappointed too if I purchased a coach (sort of against my will) and found as many issues. True, they aren't "game over" issues but it seems there are enough to be upset about especially since the seller was not as truthful as he should have been. We've sold 2 RVs and were truthful about both and I think the majority of owners are truthful. We purchased our current coach from an individual, we didn't have an inspection, we took her at her word and have found no issues that she could have known about. We had to have an engine fan hub or something replaced and we have trouble with the dash air, neither of which we "blame" her for. We also sold our gasser with a handshake and no deposit. The couple said they'd take it, we said okay and didn't show it anymore while they got their financing.

It sounds like the OP is getting some of the issues resolved but the windows may not be fixable. The windows and the fact that her hubby forced this coach into her life when she didn't want it is enough to make anyone beyond frustrated.On the upside though, it seems that the mechanical part of the coach is in decent shape!

To the OP, try to focus on the positives of your coach & your DH. Fix what you can as you can on both. I know the windows are high on your list of fix its but you just might have to live with the as they are. I don't know what replacement windows cost but if it means this much, perhaps saving up enough to have the window used the most replaced would be worth it? We like to see out windows too but spend most of our time outside in our gravity chairs...sometimes with our eyes closed.

I sincerely hope you get to the point where you can enjoy this coach and that it happens soon. Life is too short to be so upset and POed even if you have a reason to be. Chalk it up to lesson learned (and hopefully your hubby has learned something too!)

Good luck!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #104

Ran Carr,
I have not seen any mention of trying Bar Keepers Friend. It contains oxalic acid which is good for removing mineral deposits from glass. I used it on my side mirrors and it took off every water spot.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Ran Carr,
I have not seen any mention of trying Bar Keepers Friend. It contains oxalic acid which is good for removing mineral deposits from glass. I used it on my side mirrors and it took off every water spot.
I have used that as well. It is very mildly abrasive, and works well.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Ran Carr,
I have not seen any mention of trying Bar Keepers Friend...
Page 1, Post #8
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #107

I can't help with the windows but I have an idea for the dinette that you say is too high.
I don't know from your posts exactly how yours is set up but I've owned two different travel trailers that the dinette table was supported by two metal posts that fit into sockets on the floor. The posts could be easily removed to use the dinette as a bed.
Maybe you could cut an inch or two off the posts to shorten them to lower the table to a more comfortable height.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
So from the very beginning my guess has been that at some point someone cleaned the roof. I don't know about others but I have cleaned my roof. As a matter of fact I did it this year. I used a soap with Clorox in it. At this moment the exact name escapes me but I also used another cleaner that had bleach in it. As I rinsed the roof off it would streak down the side of the bus, obviously including the windows. Once done the roof I cleaned the bus itself. My driveway (asphalt) now seems to have some white/off white streaking on it. So with that knowledge my offering is that it COULD HAVE BEEN caused by a roof cleaning that was never properly completed.
This stuff may well have come from the roof. The odd thing is it came off the windshield and comes off the RV body fairly easily. But the side window glass is actually stained (spotted and streaks). We'll be going into town later today or tomorrow. I'll see if I can find some of the products mentioned locally before ordering online. The products I tried so far showed limited success.

Quote:
Of course that has no true relation to the problem of how to make the windows right and it may not even be the cause but if the seller BELIEVED it was nothing more than a soapy residue then it is possible he honestly didn't know it would turn into this magnitude of a problem. None the less there are many offered resolutions that have been offered and possibly still untried.
Yes, there are still some to try as soon as I get my hot little hands on them. I'm going to try those made for glass that's stained since acidic mineral solvents don't take it off very well even when fine steel wool is used. And once rubbed off with steel wool and a mild abrasive you can see a "ghost" still in the glass where they were. Since this is so difficult to remove this had to have been there before he washed to RV to put up for sale last in April. I can't see how soapy water could have done such damage to the glass even if it had a high mineral content and yet comes right off the pained areas leaving no damage. With the excessive rain we had this spring I'm surprised anything would be left from him washing it.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #109

With paint the "magic stuff" may bind to the oxidation and wash off taking it along.

But glass has no such layer so the stuff bonds to whatever the surface is and it binds well and possible chemical action.

Only hope is to break down whatever that is to get the stuff off the glass then maybe recoat with rainx or other materials made to allow glass to be cleaned better.

These may replicate the wetting action that clears up what is left.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I can't help with the windows but I have an idea for the dinette that you say is too high.
I don't know from your posts exactly how yours is set up but I've owned two different travel trailers that the dinette table was supported by two metal posts that fit into sockets on the floor. The posts could be easily removed to use the dinette as a bed.
Maybe you could cut an inch or two off the posts to shorten them to lower the table to a more comfortable height.
I'll be using the Futon as a bed. The dinette is not like anything we've seen before. There is one leg that can be folded up with some kind of spring. It's attached to wall in tracks that looks like it was slid in before the dinette seats were added. There doesn't appear to be any way to remove the table without removing the one dinette seat-unit entirely. A job we wouldn't want to tackle. The track the table is in would leave the wall damaged when lowered. He doesn't think there's enough space for a table and 2 chairs if we remove the dinette and table altogether.

The tire place just called us back = $1,400 for all new tires, balanced and installed. They'll be installed later today.

We're waiting for the new commode to be delivered and will pick up the Futon in a few days.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #111

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, you're gettin' 'er dun! 👍😍

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post

....Only hope is to break down whatever that is to get the stuff off the glass then maybe recoat with rainx or other materials made to allow glass to be cleaned better.

These may replicate the wetting action that clears up what is left.
I hope! I'll give it my best shot - something has to work. I can't accept defeat. I'll let you all know when I finally hit that product.