Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #113

Talking The solution that is guaranteed to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I hope! I'll give it my best shot - something has to work. I can't accept defeat. I'll let you all know when I finally hit that product.
A hammer will break it loose then you can buy all new glass.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
It appears to me the thread has a dual purpose for the OP. One is to find some solutions to some very difficult and expensive problems.

The other is to vent about the problems and expense. Fair enough as it also appears she is as angry with DH for pushing the purchase as she is with the seller. IMO she is angrier with DH.

New or old we all will have issues with our units. You either pay it up front and get a warranty or buy used and hope you have some money left at the end of fixing it up.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #115

Quote:
...The man lied to us just like the other two men we bought used RVs from. Of the 4 used RVs we bought only one man was honest. That says something for our society and RVers doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
...Thanks for lumping me and all RVers together with your all inclusive indictment.
Quote:
Are you including yourself with the 25% who were honest with us or the 75% who weren't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It appears to me the thread has a dual purpose for the OP... The other is to vent about the problems and expense. Fair enough as it also appears she is as angry with DH for pushing the purchase as she is with the seller. IMO she is angrier with DH.
I don't have a problem with people venting on a forum, as childish as it is. However, I draw the line on implied personal attacks against my character because she can't stand up to her husband. Until she claimed 75% of society in general and RVers in specific are dishonest, posters tried to help. After that, she gets no sympathy or empathy from those she maligned. At this point, my attitude is, "Suck it up and deal with it because the well of sympathy and empathy has dried up."

My last post on this subject.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #116

It's things like this that confirm why our last six motor homes have been new.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
One need not look any further than this forum to find unhappy new MH buyers. Let's dwell on the glass issues and make them happy campers !

LSC9901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #118

Question replace or live with it.

The solution is a hammer like I mentioned earlier. It is the only way to get the etching on the windows to come off after many years of not properly taken care of. So if you want clear like new windows on an old coach, then you buy new windows.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
A hammer will break it loose then you can buy all new glass.
We found an old forgotten buffer in the garage. He's going to use that on the windows to remove the whiteish spots and streaks. I can live with the "ghost in the glass" as it's very faint. He's so happy with the coach I wont rain on his Parade. He got the new tires put on it the other day and today the new commode came so he installed it. It's higher than the Original and a better fit for us both. Now we await the Futon. That should be in any day now. I have the curtains half done - though it has those day-night shades. I'm using a woodsy print of pine cones and pine branches. The curtain is hung where we removed the bathroom door. We also hung a curtain in the hall for privacy in both the bath and bedroom. We found an inexpensive brown plastic "dresser" for his clothes that we can live with. It will double as a place for a lamp.

I'm quite happy with the changes. So that leaves the bedroom latch that wont hold when rolling. So far we haven't figured that one out yet. There's no space for a hook and eye from the outside to lock the cats in when moving. Three travel well but one just isn't adjusting. She was getting so hysterical on the way home from Atlanta we had to pull off the Interstate and put her in a carrier before she hurt herself, us or damaged the RV.

The last is the dinette. There will be some solution for that I'm sure. We'll tackle that last. Perhaps the answer will be new cushions if we can find something to fit - since the back is curved.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:57 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
The solution is a hammer like I mentioned earlier. It is the only way to get the etching on the windows to come off after many years of not properly taken care of. So if you want clear like new windows on an old coach, then you buy new windows.
It's not etchings. The glass itself is stained like an old glass bottle that was buried for years. The 20 yr old Dutchman Class-C had crystal clear windows just like the 25+ yr old windows in my house.

If and when we find a money tree or someone leaves us in their Will we can replace the windows. Don't assume everyone enjoys your wealth.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
My perception is that after 3 purchases of which only one was an honest deal, by your standards, you made monumental errors.
We sure did by not insisting that first dishonest man (with the bibles) rip off the bottom cover of the Sunline so we could check if the black tank had a crack. How many selling a TT would rip the bottom off so people could crawl under to check the waste tanks for cracks? And the odor he hid so well with the windows all open and sprayed with Lysol. Does everyone close up a used RV and wait a few hours to see how it smells? We never did get the odor out and I told the people who bought it we could not find the source of the sour cheesy smell. Lysol controlled it- that was the best we could do. The liar never mentioned the black tank needed to be replaced due to a large split or that when the Lysol wore off the foul odor would come back.

The Class-C which looked so good and ran so well, had a totally rotten roof at the rear end. No stains on the ceiling and no soft places where I pushed up on it. I doubt he would have let us rip the ceiling down to check it or rip the roof covering off to look for rot under the aluminum. This rot could not be seen as it had a fresh coating of roofing stuff on it.... until we got it home and my husband went on the roof to replace the old AirrMax vents. It then became obvious the roof was rotten under his 170lbs. The seller lied - told me the roof had just been redone, no leaks... blah blah.. blah... never leaked, blah, blah....The first rain and the water literlly poured down from the ceiling in two places, from the rotted area around the vent in the bedroom and from the A/C in the front. The other stuff was more or less minor (no engine/tranny problems) but expensive. We were going to put new tires on it before our trip out west anyway but he lied about the tires too, saying they were 5 yrs old when then were 10 and one blew out on the way home from his house. He also failed to tell us the gas gauge was off by 1/4 tank. DH ran out of gas a few miles from our house because the seller lied. The fridge was on and cold - but the seller failed to tell us it was erratic, useless and it died in AZ, leaving us with having to use an ice chest for the trip. Do all of you somehow sit there for days to make sure the fridges are not erratic/dying? Do you all go up on the roofs and walk around? What if you ask about the gauges and are told they all work - how can you know unless you look down into the gas tank and somehow measure the gas? The other gauges weren't that important to us, the gas one was. We lost thousands on this Class-C - the replacement fridge alone was $1,300.

The 3rd is this Class-A but nothing really serious is wrong with it that we can see. Minor stuff mostly and no roof or tank leaks we can find. He didn't have to lie and tell us, like the Class-C seller, that the tires were only 5 yrs old when they too were 10 yrs old. We didn't expect the added expense of $1400 for new tires right off the bat. We had hoped to wait a year or two to replace them. Without a flashlight or ground mat/dolly, my 70 yr old husband w/fibromyalgia didn't try to crawl under the coach in the the wet gravel to see if the old man was lying. Now we know better. We wouldn't believe anything a seller tells us.

But that's OK, we will still be honest when we sell a rig as people will still buy them and our conscience is clear. Maybe not the first person or the second... but both the Sunline and Class-C sold with the buyers knowing the known issues.

Quote:
I have bought three. Other than tires for this one I found just one surprise and after some deep research I was able to resolve the problem. All the other money we have spent (minimal at best) has been for personally desired upgrades. I feel that my past experiences made me a more informed buyer.

Was Rick's RV Center not a good place to take the MH to get checked out before the purchase ?
I have no idea as it's well over 100 miles from where we live and would be about 160 miles from the man we bought it from.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Not everyone is as wealthy as you. I'm glad you have the money to purchase one new Class-A after the other.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It appears to me the thread has a dual purpose for the OP. One is to find some solutions to some very difficult and expensive problems.
The new tires are on- we found a place in the next town that sold truck tires to fit the Southwind. They balanced them and installed them for us = $1400.

Quote:
The other is to vent about the problems and expense. Fair enough as it also appears she is as angry with DH for pushing the purchase as she is with the seller. IMO she is angrier with DH.
He's so happy with it I just let it go. What's done is done. He installed the new higher commode today so that problem is handled also = $179. It would have been $125 for replacement parts for the child size low commode. He also found the old electric buffer we had forgotten about, so will try to finish the windows. We'll live with the "ghosts in the glass."

Quote:
New or old we all will have issues with our units. You either pay it up front and get a warranty or buy used and hope you have some money left at the end of fixing it up.
These Class-As are really out of our league. We're blue collar with no pensions. Just S.S. and our savings/IRAs.

This has all been an expensive learning experience for us, both in human nature and in how skillfully problems with RVs can be hidden.

I hope this will be the last RV we buy.