Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #15

If that's all that's wrong that's pretty minor, IMO anyway.

Have you talked to a glass repair business?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #16

The second pass.... yes the panes are double. The second pass with steelwool and the tile cleaner removed *most* but not all of it. The spots are just about gone and the streaks are very faint. What a &^%$#@* job to get it off. We're leaving in the morning for his sister's house 150 miles away so these windows will have to wait until we get back.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
If all else fails... can you still see the spots when the windows are wet?

If they disappear when wet, you could try brushing/spraying on a little clear acrylic, just on the etched spots (I suspect you have actual etching of the glass, rather than something on the surface). It might make them less annoying until you replace the windows.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If that's all that's wrong that's pretty minor, IMO anyway.

Have you talked to a glass repair business?
Windows are important to some of us. We want to see the view outside. Glass repair shop? No. I do know these windows run from $800 to $900 each to replace the large slider windows to $200 or $300 for the smaller ones. That's installed, something we wouldn't attempt to do ourselves.

It appears it's going to be a lot of work getting this stuff off the windows.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

Have you tried any of the products designed to clear foggy headlights? Also are the windows actually glass and not an acrylic or thermoplastic such as sold by Home Depot or Lowes? You may need to use a good quality buffing wheel and a very fine polishing compound. Use a very light touch.
Abitbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
If all else fails... can you still see the spots when the windows are wet?

If they disappear when wet, you could try brushing/spraying on a little clear acrylic, just on the etched spots (I suspect you have actual etching of the glass, rather than something on the surface). It might make them less annoying until you replace the windows.
They do disappear when wet and we do have over a gallon of ZEP. The second time I did them with the tile cleaner and steel wool most of it came off. The entire windows are affected, not just spots on them. I don't know for sure if they're etched or not. I wont know until we get back from our trip. I have no more time to try as we're leaving in the morning for Atlanta.

I noticed there are the same spots, but less obvious, and streaks on the body itself, not just the windows. It almost looks like very watered down whitewash used on Greenhouses was sprayed, sprinkled or splashed on the RV.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitbig View Post
Have you tried any of the products designed to clear foggy headlights? Also are the windows actually glass and not an acrylic or thermoplastic such as sold by Home Depot or Lowes? You may need to use a good quality buffing wheel and a very fine polishing compound. Use a very light touch.
No, haven't tried that. When we get back from Atlanta next week I'll go over the windows with the tile cleaner and steel wool again. I think that will work OK but will need to be used 3 or even 4 times. I THINK! It's too dark out there right now to do that one window again.

They're glass.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Is it an acid? This stuff doesn't dissolve in acids. What does the auto industry use it for?
No, it is not an acid. It's a very mild abrasive, and, like I said, similar to chrome polish. It is used to clean glass with heavy stains.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
They do disappear when wet and we do have over a gallon of ZEP. The second time I did them with the tile cleaner and steel wool most of it came off. The entire windows are affected, not just spots on them. I don't know for sure if they're etched or not. I wont know until we get back from our trip. I have no more time to try as we're leaving in the morning for Atlanta.

I noticed there are the same spots, but less obvious, and streaks on the body itself, not just the windows. It almost looks like very watered down whitewash used on Greenhouses was sprayed, sprinkled or splashed on the RV.
There is a place in Arkansas that will take the window apart, clean it an fix it for much less. Search my old posts for foggy windows, the name and number is in that post
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Keep at it with that 0000 steel wool, be careful with the Brillo pad, you don't want to scratch the glass, That 4 0ught 0000 steel wool would be all I would want to use. Sounds like your persistence is gonna beat this thing, good luck
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
No, it is not an acid. It's a very mild abrasive, and, like I said, similar to chrome polish. It is used to clean glass with heavy stains.
Then I will look into it. He has fibro' and and I have a form of osteoarthritis so you can see we need the easiest way to get these windows clean. All that rubbing and scouring I did today has caused a flareup. My hands are swollen and hot and my shoulders and elbows ache. I'll take a Tramadol to sleep tonight.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Keep at it with that 0000 steel wool, be careful with the Brillo pad, you don't want to scratch the glass, That 4 0ught 0000 steel wool would be all I would want to use. Sounds like your persistence is gonna beat this thing, good luck
We plan to pick up a few items and 0000 steel wool is one of them. I only had a small amount left from another project years ago. I don't think anyone could live with such windows in an RV unless they were the type with the shades down 24/7. That's not us. I want to see the woods and lakes and rivers as I have my morning coffee, and when I'm having lunch....
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
There is a place in Arkansas that will take the window apart, clean it an fix it for much less. Search my old posts for foggy windows, the name and number is in that post
The spots and streaks are on the OUTSIDE of the outside pane. It's coming off but with great difficulty. GREAT DIFFICULTY! We live in middle TN by the way.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Been watching this post hoping you find a viable solution. One thought, concerns these harsh chemicals you having using to try and get your windows clean. Won't some of them do major damage to your paint, as it runs off the window? How are you dealing with that?