Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Well said Crasher!

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
It may say something but not all of us are like that. I've sold two of them and have been honest about them to the very best of my knowledge.
All those past RVs (and vans) we sold we were totally honest with the people before they even got here to see the RV. They knew exactly what they were getting. We didn't lie to make a faster sale.

Quote:
When buying used we all have to accept that some of the problem is us. Since this is your 4th RV you really should know what it is you're looking for.
We did know what we were looking for - that's why we looked at so many. This one was still winterized so how could we tell the toilet wouldn't hold water or that not all the windows would open when the one he slid opened fine, or the bedroom door latch opened when the RV moved down the road or the jack knife sofa which looked fine was worthless with bars under a mattress than flattened out or....

Quote:
I totally get that you feel taken but some of the issues you've described seem like they could have been avoided had you been a more informed buyer.
How much more informed can someone be? Which issues exactly? I know, next you'll claim you made the people you bought your used RV from unwinterize it to make sure the toilet held water, you checked every window etc. (I'm being facetious.) We checked everything we could think of. We took it for along drive with the man. Unlike some people here, we're not expert RV mechanics nor do we knew any we could have taken with us to look at all the coaches we looked at. And even if we could find such a person, we are not wealthy enough to drag one along day after day.

Quote:
Replacing a couch with a futon because the couch wasn't right should have been noticeable. Please note that when you get ready to sell that the futon could be a minus. We looked at one with a futon and just walked away. You may get lucky, when the time comes, and find a buyer who is OK with that.
I didn't say the couch "wasn't right." The bed/mattress were shot. Completely shot. Perhaps someone very obese slept on it. It was also 15 yrs old. Where do you think we would have found something different to fit inside that jack-knife sofa that could actually be slept on? That was made to fit inside that old sofa? The sofa didn't even have a name so who would we call to replace the bed's parts? Most get these things from the lowest bidders - but some company from 15 yrs ago is not likely to have all the bed parts needed. The sofa itself was comfortable to SIT on.

Quote:
Because you both have physical issues, many of the offered solutions are difficult for you. I think I would just take it to a glass dealer and see what they can do. If they can't do anything then you have to make the choice of can we live with it or do we move on.

We all get surprises when buying used. We had one that we did resolve but I am still kicking myself in the can because it would have been suoer easy for me to see that there was an issue.
Even an expert will tell you there are surprises AFTER you buy any RV, even a new one. No expert will turn up 100% of the issues. All the unforeseen things. Skillfully hidden things. Flippers for example are very skillful in hiding things. One mistake we made was not sitting at that dinette set. I can't imagine what engineer designed something like that - for skinny 6' tall people. Most American women and many American men are not that tall.

Quote:
We needed to find an obsolete part for our oven. After searching long and wide we did find it. Do i hate the guy for possibly not telling me about it ??? Yes and no. Had I tested the oven I would have seen the problem. Just as much my fault as possibly his.
I did make sure the stove, fridge, oven and MW had all their parts. We checked for soft spots in the floor, leak stains everywhere, that all draws and cabinet doors worked. That the slideout worked, running it in and out a few times. Checked all the day-night shades and all the light fixtures and all the fans plus that both A/Cs worked. We spend a lot of time going over this coach. It also has a Sat' dish on the roof and solar panel we didn't even know it had until we got it home - but as of yet, have no idea if they work or not or how they work. We have our own portable dish.

Quote:
I'm not saying that you should not be upset but in most cases there is plenty of blame to go around. You all just need to decide what issues are important and proceed in the order of importance. Either that or get the old for sale sign out.
We're stuck with it for now. We'll use the Futon for me to sleep on and may remove the dinette altogether and replace it with a smaller table and 2 chairs. We don't need such a huge table for 2 old folks anyway.

As for the glass being "stained", at least now we know what we're dealing with and can perhaps check the things already mentioned and find one that removes stains from glass.

He did LIE about the stained glass. He had to know Vinegar wouldn't remove it. That it wasn't some "soapy residue" from him washing the RV. And he lied like two others did about the age of the tires. I was skeptical but never suspected they'd be 10 yrs old. They do look good. He must have kept them covered.

Why should we sell it when the next one may be worse with worse problems. We can't afford a new one. Since 75% of people selling RVs LIE without conscience, and even experts miss things, we'd be nuts to try again.

I'll tell you something else and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. Since this last experience with looking at all those used dirty smelly coaches needing so much work, even newer more expensive ones, my feelings about other RV owners has changed drastically. They're not the kind of people I assumed them to be. They're no different than used car salesmen when looking to unload their RVs.

It's not just these 3 out of four liars - but all those other liars as well. One coach, was 6 years newer and $9,000 more. The man tried to push it off on us with a slidout that barely worked, jerking and grinding gears and never going all the way out. We I told him either show us the slide works or no-sale so he reluctantly plugged it in and tried to run the slide out. He knew as well as we did it didn't work. When I looked under the slide some kind of what looked like shredded electric cables were dangling down... I said to my husband, "Let's go." The rest are now a blur of coaches with all kinds of issues including smelling like a dog kennel or smoking room or torn missing screens..... they never mention these things on the phone and try to hide them with sprays and closed curtains and every other trick in the book.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
No! Say it ain't so! Fine, upstanding citizens wouldn't lie, steal and cheat like some common Wall Street hedge fund manager or billionaire developer or titan of industry, would they?

One doesn't have to practice sleaze but one should protect themselves from sleazebags. The old saying, "Buyer beware" seems apropos. Thanks for lumping me and all RVers together with your all inclusive indictment.
Are you including yourself with the 25% who were honest with us or the 75% who weren't?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Life is too short, especially at retirement age, to be upset over something as trivial as marked windows. I say trivial, because in the big scheme of life, it's unimportant. Better to save your anger and frustration for something that is important. I don't mean to be a smarta**, but if you can not enjoy your RV because of the windows, then replace the windows or sell the motor home.
You want to buy it for what we paid? Another loss for us is out of the question right now. Now that I know there are plenty of RVers looking to dump their old RVs who will blatantly lie to another RVer, I would fear getting something even worse. This was something I would more expect from a used RV salesman, not a fellow RVer.

Quote:
All used RV's can have undetected problems that pop up. If your RV drives nice, has a floor plan you like, has very few mechanical problems and can take you to fun destinations, get in and go. You might just come across someone that has a cure for your windows. Then you will wonder why you spent so much time being upset over something so unimportant.
Looking at the scenery outside a window may not be important to some people but to others it is. Yes, I have seen RVers with their shades down 24/7 who may as well be in windowless room. That's not us. I'll do the best I can to remove the stains and make sure I tell everyone I ever meet in the RV life to not trust anyone selling a used RV, be it the owner or a salesman. See my other post about the other coaches we looked at before buying this one.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
Could it be some kind of tree sap? Maybe it was parked under a tree for too long.
No, the glass itself is stained like those old antique glass bottles found buried for many years. I once had a collection of such bottles dug from an old 1800s dump in NY.

Sap comes off easily. Sap doesn't stain glass just makes it look nasty.

Before I order something online I'll try a few of the local Auto Parts places and the Auto Repair place where we know and trust the owner. If they don't have a product to remove stains from glass that they're willing to guarantee, I may look online. I hate buying things online because getting a refund if it doesn't work is almost impossible. At this point I am so glad the windshield is not damaged by whatever this stuff is.

I bought some stuff that was supposed to make that hazy plastic on turn signals and headlights crystal clear again. It didn't work at all. Having misplaced the receipt I was stuck with it.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #76

Ford Super Duty Owner
Obviously we all have different points of view. With the number of posts that you have on IRV2 I'm surprised that you didn't catch the 10 year old tires. In all the RV's I have looked at, that is one of the first things I look at. 6 tires can easily be $2000. at a minimum and obviously go much higher. As I mentioned in my own case I did find OBSOLETE parts for my oven. My guess is you can find couch parts. In my own personal case I don't look at RV's that are winterized. The price might be better at that time of the year but I'm not going to ask someone to dewinterize so I can check the entire water system ..... but that is just my choice.

It appears that you did not employ the use of some type of RV inspection service. Many, many buyers do not. My first purchase included that service and
the surprises were minimal and inexpensive.

Lastly I feel that describing 75% of RV'ers on here as liars a mistake. I don't like it when someone asks for help and then makes a comment like that. Good luck with your issues. I wish you the best but I will unsubscribe from this thread. I truly believe your estimates are way off and offensive to most of us.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
OP, I and many others feel your pain. Most of us have had times when our new to us purchases have gone wrong. Spending money on our dreams only to find something closer to a nightmare. I have had to adjust to having no income, always second guessing did I retire too early. Sounds to me like this is a time you and DH need to have a talk about how happy will ya'll be RVing in the future and at what price.

I enjoy the outside view as well. I really enjoy it from a lawn chair, setting outside in it. There has been 6 pages of helping attempts at solving your problem on the window, best I can tell no one has lied about their window problem or its resolution. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this purchase, I'm sorry you feel like it's a money pit, I feel the same way about mine. Yet I still manage to enjoy it 4 to 6 months out of the year, fogged window, leaking toilet seal, busted vent cover and all.

Hope things get better, that your able to look past the problems and enjoy life!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #78

Disgusted and disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I know, next you'll claim you made the people you bought your used RV from unwinterize it to make sure the toilet held water, you checked every window etc. (I'm being facetious.)
Yep.... Sure did. Snow on the ground, and more coming down in Syracuse NY week before thanksgiving. I also crawled on the snowy ground and inspected the tires and date codes, and the underside of the coach.

When I left, I knew what I was getting (the good and the bad). I knew that I was buying a coach with a little rust underneath, and that it had at one point had a water leak just above the entry door. I also knew that given the price and my handyman skills, I was getting a great coach for our needs and felt like I could handle the issues that may pop up.

It sounds as if you guys drove up, saw it, tossed him the cash, and headed home. Regardless of how dishonest the guy may or may not be, he has no fault in selling you a coach that you hate.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #79

Cool Chill out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Life is too short, especially at retirement age, to be upset over something as trivial as marked windows. I say trivial, because in the big scheme of life, it's unimportant. Better to save your anger and frustration for something that is important. I don't mean to be a smarta**, but if you can not enjoy your RV because of the windows, then replace the windows or sell the motor home. All used RV's can have undetected problems that pop up. If your RV drives nice, has a floor plan you like, has very few mechanical problems and can take you to fun destinations, get in and go. You might just come across someone that has a cure for your windows. Then you will wonder why you spent so much time being upset over something so unimportant.
I agree, you did not do your home work, and you bought an older coach that always has some problems and wear and tear, So fix or replace what is broken or what gives you problems and just whistle while you work and enjoy life. You did not I am sure pay the price for a new coach , so you got a deal and now it may cost you to get it all spruced up the way you want it..
If it is just to much stress for you, then sell it. If he don't agree then just pack up and leave. .
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #80
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Obviously we all have different points of view. With the number of posts that you have on IRV2 I'm surprised that you didn't catch the 10 year old tires. In all the RV's I have looked at, that is one of the first things I look at. 6 tires can easily be $2000. at a minimum and obviously go much higher. As I mentioned in my own case I did find OBSOLETE parts for my oven. My guess is you can find couch parts. In my own personal case I don't look at RV's that are winterized. The price might be better at that time of the year but I'm not going to ask someone to dewinterize so I can check the entire water system ..... but that is just my choice.

It appears that you did not employ the use of some type of RV inspection service. Many, many buyers do not. My first purchase included that service and
the surprises were minimal and inexpensive.

Lastly I feel that describing 75% of RV'ers on here as liars a mistake. I don't like it when someone asks for help and then makes a comment like that. Good luck with your issues. I wish you the best but I will unsubscribe from this thread. I truly believe your estimates are way off and offensive to most of us.

I agree.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
You want to buy it for what we paid? Another loss for us is out of the question right now. Now that I know there are plenty of RVers looking to dump their old RVs who will blatantly lie to another RVer, I would fear getting something even worse. This was something I would more expect from a used RV salesman, not a fellow RVer.

Looking at the scenery outside a window may not be important to some people but to others it is. Yes, I have seen RVers with their shades down 24/7 who may as well be in windowless room. That's not us. I'll do the best I can to remove the stains and make sure I tell everyone I ever meet in the RV life to not trust anyone selling a used RV, be it the owner or a salesman. See my other post about the other coaches we looked at before buying this one.
Several RV's here have tried to help you with the problem you failed to recognize when you purchased your coach. Yet, you consider 75% of us to be liars just waiting to dump our junk on the next owner. I'm curious as to what method you used to determine that 3/4 of all RVer's can not be trusted. (Remember, all of us will sell our motor home sometime.) I must travel and meet just the 25% group, as most that I have met are good people. I guess I will just have to remember not to buy anything from them. I was going to say something else, but my mother taught me to say something nice about others or don't say anything at all, so have a nice day and good bye.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #82

You do know your one of the RV'rs you've so succinctly disparaged right?

Buyer beware is the saying. Not buy then bash the seller because you didn't do your do diligence.

See yaaaaa!!!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #83

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, moderator, it's time to do your job. Close this thread.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Ok, moderator, it's time to do your job. Close this thread.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
No! Close it now so I can clam the kill!