Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Dish Tailgater

Hey , just wanted to see how many are using the Dish tailgater from king controls. Would like to hear good and bad. Thanks for all the info. That is given to us that are new to this world of motor homes. Having a ball
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what "king controls" you are talking about.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Not sure what "king controls" you are talking about.
As in "King Controls," the company that manufactures the Tailgater. I don't have one, but I know that much.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a Dish tailgator and 211 receiver in our previous coach. It worked very well, just set it out looking at the southern sky and run thru the quick setup that came with the unit.

I had purchased mine used on Ebay from an individual in another near by state and we met at a central spot and made the deal.

My new coach has a King Dome and so I have sold the tailgator but kept the 211 receiver since it was compatible with the King.

When we had the tailgator we still had a permanent home so we were able to switch our dish service back and forth between the house and the RV depending on where we were. This gave us one bill and the second receiver was only a minimal charge on the monthly bill instead of being treated like two separate accounts.

I had a couple of problems getting the original setup in the old coach configured but the people at Dish in Advanced Technical were always very helpful and always were able to assist with any glitches. They are a little hard to connect up with since you have to go thru customer service to beging with before they hand you over to the tech guys so be prepared to spend up to 30 minutes until you get a fix installed.

Sometimes I wish I still had the tailgator as a backup when I get parked and the dish on the roof is being blocked by trees. I could use the tailgator to move it out into the clear easier than repositioning the coach.

I was very impressed with how easy the tailgator found the satelites and locked on to a good signal.

I am sure you will hear other opinions but this has been my experiences.
Hoffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We carry the Tailgater as a back up dish for when the MH's roof mounted unit is blocked by trees. Have used it a number of times, just set it on the rood at the rear of the coach and let it do it's thing. No issues at all with the unit.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We haves tailgater. Works well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our tailgater works well, but weather cells and rain do affect it. You can always tell when bad weather is coming because the reception goes crazy. Also, one tree will screw up reception. Overall it has to be better than trying to set up a manual dish every time you move.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
As in "King Controls," the company that manufactures the Tailgater. I don't have one, but I know that much.

I have a Tailgater so I do know what I am asking.

I have not had a problem with them.

Just asking what "king controls" were.

Might help if you actually had a Tailgator
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
We carry the Tailgater as a back up dish for when the MH's roof mounted unit is blocked by trees. Have used it a number of times, just set it on the rood at the rear of the coach and let it do it's thing. No issues at all with the unit.
Same here. Worked fine the few times we've needed to use it. Does have a little delay as you change channels if it's on a different sat. Our roof mounted Traveler tracks all three, Tailgater tracks one at a time.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

Love the tailgater. Have roof mounted now but kept it because it is a great setup and use it for backup when roof mount is blocked.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #11

king controls

The company that manufactures the tailgaters for Dish is King Controls.

WWW.KINGCONTROLS.COM/TAILGATER
Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have the tailgater and are very happy with it. Sometimes a heavy rain will block the signal, but overall we like that we can choose the channel package we want. We are full time and don't always need satellite. Dish lets you pay for only the months you want. Direct TV does not offer that option.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a KVH on the roof and it OK but I also have a Tailgator for when we end up under the trees. The Tailgator is hands down easier to use, I have had 0 problems with it. If I had to choose one over the other, its Tailgator all the way.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Got one for Christmas , look forward in using it in couple weeks.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish