Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
I'm considering adding pay as you go satellite to my rig since it already has an antenna. I have two TVs but I don't want to pay Dish for two receivers, particularly since we would almost never be watching two different channels at the same time. The fact that the k unit has rf out means I can send the signal to the bedroom if I want to. For me, k solves a problem.
Well, I hate to be the Dish factory rep again , but for the sake of completeness I have to point out two things:

1. Using the NTSC RF output looks absolutely terrible compared to any digital format, far better to get an inexpensive HDMI splitter.

2. Even if you want to use RF, you can easily add that to the 211z with a $10 RF modulator, available at any Walmart.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeebs View Post
Here are things I have noticed and I have one question.

211Z-smaller, runs cooler, hdmi, runs only 1 tv and the others have to run off over air antenna.

211K-large, runs hot, coaxial, runs multiple tvs on the same channel.

Question:On the 211k my surround sound must be hooked into the DVD player as the only way the surround sound works is by turning on the DVD player and switching it from DVD to tv/cable. With the 211z I have no surround sound when performing the same actions. Any thoughts outside of going back to the 211k?

Go back to the k. I too really like surround sound.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The surround sound that came with the coach (5 small box speakers and 2 base speakers) is connected to the TV via coalaxial cables. The TV is capable of variable audio out (one reason I bought it) and the outdoor antenna is split between the TV and sat box. Output of the sat box goes to the selector box for the other TVs and an HDMI cable is connected to the main TV. I only get HD on the other TVs if over the air. DVR connected to the K.
Rich
Old 04-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #18

If the audio system is fed directly from the TV I don't see why it would matter which satellite receiver you used(?)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If the audio system is fed directly from the TV I don't see why it would matter which satellite receiver you used(?)

I think the OP said that he runs the sat receiver though his DVD, which is also a 5.1 surround sound amp. So, the sound isn't coming from the TV but from the sat receiver to the DVD/amp.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
It doesn't but you missed the fact that I use it in both my home and the motorhome. I have a 5.1 system in my home. I can also run my system from the home television. What does it hurt? I don't need a 40 foot motorhome either being solo
Rich

VestaDave, I think he's talking to me.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
It doesn't but you missed the fact that I use it in both my home and the motorhome. I have a 5.1 system in my home. I can also run my system from the home television. What does it hurt? I don't need a 40 foot motorhome either being solo
Rich

VestaDave, I think he's talking to me.

I was actually addressing the OP's system as I understand it. What he is after is 5.1 stereo via his sat receiver. For his purposes the Z may not have the functionality he needs. Hence my comment, go with the K.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
I was actually addressing the OP's system as I understand it. What he is after is 5.1 stereo via his sat receiver. For his purposes the Z may not have the functionality he needs. Hence my comment, go with the K.
I didn't remember the 5.1 part but totally agree.
Rich
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #23

I still haven't pulled the trigger on Dish and the more I look at it the less attractive it appears. The $37/mo package has no channels of any value, at least to me, and moving to $69 or $79 for a month's worth feels exorbitant. And it looks like Directv wants a contract. If I had Dish at home I think an extra $7 makes sense, but I don't.

Do all of you Dish users have home contracts? Is there something I'm missing?

Charlie
Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #24

Quote:
I still haven't pulled the trigger on Dish and the more I look at it the less attractive it appears. The $37/mo package has no channels of any value, at least to me, and moving to $69 or $79 for a month's worth feels exorbitant. And it looks like Directv wants a contract. If I had Dish at home I think an extra $7 makes sense, but I don't.

Charlie

No, you've missed nothing. We have Dish at home and pay $7 a month. Works for us.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Yes, that's the rub for me too, I don't have satellite service at home and the pay-as-you-go rates are too high... the lower-cost packages don't offer much and the higher-end packages are exorbitant. I have all the hardware, including a Trav'ler mounted on the roof, but Dish/Direct have priced themselves out of the market for someone in my (or our) position.

Instead I have gone to T-Mobile and their 'Binge On' program: for a pretty reasonable rate I can serve both my mobile Internet and mobile video needs at one time since T-Mobile allows unlimited streaming of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, YouTube, and a few dozen others. This gives me much better programming options than I ever had with satellite TV, and I need to buy the mobile Internet service anyway so it's win-win. Using cellular obviously doesn't provide the 100% coverage of satellite but it's been excellent so far... it's almost always worked well whenever I've needed it and if it doesn't there's always a DVD or a movie off the hard drive for that night. As far as I'm concerned the satellite TV vendors have priced themselves so that they're just not competitive any more, at least for a user in my situation.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #26

Quote:

Charlie

No, you've missed nothing. We have Dish at home and pay $7 a month. Works for us.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "take" on pricing is that a monthly package with pay-as-you go beats any fixed or contract price that runs even if you aren't watching. And the discounted price lock expires.

We got the pack that we wanted (yes, just like cable TV, it has a bunch of stuff we don't watch).
When not using it, we just suspend the account...easy as pie.
Use it less...pay less. The price will only go up when Dish changes price structure...not at the end of a contract period.

And...DirecTV only allows leased equipment. Dish will allow client purchase equipment. We only pay the subscription. There isn't even any tax over the package price.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
My "take" on pricing is that a monthly package with pay-as-you go beats any fixed or contract price that runs even if you aren't watching. And the discounted price lock expires.

Best luck

I see your point. Actually, the cost is probably on par with what I pay for tv at home. But since I don't live in my motorhome and I just take a long weekend trip here and there it's hard for me to justify anything but the lowest tier cost-wise, and I'm disappointed that, on examination, there is nothing much in that tier.

I can see where this works for people in a different situation than mine.

Charlie

Tags
dish