Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Dish VIP211K vs Dish VIP211Z

Here are things I have noticed and I have one question.
211Z-smaller, runs cooler, hdmi, runs only 1 tv and the others have to run off over air antenna.
211K-large, runs hot, coaxial, runs multiple tvs on the same channel.

Question:On the 211k my surround sound must be hooked into the DVD player as the only way the surround sound works is by turning on the DVD player and switching it from DVD to tv/cable. With the 211z I have no surround sound when performing the same actions. Any thoughts outside of going back to the 211k?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

I have a Sony 5.1 surround sound system that will switch between different HDMI inputs and will connect to the surround sound speakers. I had it in the house but saved the amplifier to use in the coach.

vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I moved from k to z because of the heat. My k was incredibly hot. But the differing connectivity options did not have an impact to me.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeebs View Post
211Z-smaller, runs cooler, hdmi, runs only 1 tv and the others have to run off over air antenna.

Question:On the 211k my surround sound must be hooked into the DVD player as the only way the surround sound works is by turning on the DVD player and switching it from DVD to tv/cable. With the 211z I have no surround sound when performing the same actions. Any thoughts outside of going back to the 211k?
I use the VIP-211k in my coach mainly because I can receive the local channels (it's also a digital receiver) and, in case of the major networks, can get the guide information displayed with the satellite channels on HDMI. This is a big plus when I'm in another metro area. I don't know your setup but my 211k has an optical and regular coaxial audio output that I don't really need. My television is capable of variable coaxial audio output which is what I use for my surround. The 211k is also capable of supporting an external Hard Drive that can be used as a recorder. In my opinion, the VIP-21k is a superior receiver even though it runs a little hot.
Rich
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
I use the VIP-211k in my coach mainly because I can receive the local channels (it's also a digital receiver) and, in case of the major networks, can get the guide information displayed with the satellite channels on HDMI. This is a big plus when I'm in another metro area. I don't know your setup but my 211k has an optical and regular coaxial audio output that I don't really need. My television is capable of variable coaxial audio output which is what I use for my surround. The 211k is also capable of supporting an external Hard Drive that can be used as a recorder. In my opinion, the VIP-21k is a superior receiver even though it runs a little hot.
The 211z also does all of those things (except the coaxial digital audio out which most don't need anymore.) If you add the USB OTA tuner it receives off-the-air (with the full channel guide just like the 211k), supports an external hard drive with DVR function, etc. If you don't need the legacy output formats (and few do these days as any TV made in the last 10 years of so uses HDMI) then the 211z has essentially the same functionality with more modern hardware (faster processor, more internal memory, etc.) not to mention runs much cooler.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The 211z also does all of those things (except the coaxial digital audio out which most don't need anymore.) If you add the USB OTA tuner it receives off-the-air (with the full channel guide just like the 211k), supports an external hard drive with DVR function, etc. If you don't need the legacy output formats (and few do these days as any TV made in the last 10 years of so uses HDMI) then the 211z has essentially the same functionality with more modern hardware (faster processor, more internal memory, etc.) not to mention runs much cooler.
You just pointed out two things the Z doesn't do that the K does without additional expense. To each his own. I'm sticking with my Ks.
Rich
Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
You just pointed out two things the Z doesn't do that the K does without additional expense. To each his own. I'm sticking with my Ks.
There is no additional expense because if you add up the cost of the base 211z + OTA tuner + DVR it comes out to be about the same as the 'fully loaded' k model. And that's the whole point... the user buys the features he wants/needs without being forced to pay for those he doesn't. But if you want equivalent functionality the total cost is also equivalent.

And I'm not trying to convert you, just sharing information.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

For audio, the 211k is better with a digital audio output and the RCA Composite (line-audio L/R)...211z only has line-audio L/R (line is not amplified)...

211z
Click image for larger version

Name:	211z-back-diagram-lg.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	125452
Click image for larger version

Name:	vip211k.png
Views:	129
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	125453

All of the video outputs are always hot on the 211k (HDMI and Component (HD), Composite and Coax(SD). I do not know about the 211z's composite video output staying hot with the HDMI.

And, the external (211z) vs. internal (211k) OTA tuner is a big difference IMHO...
...Since the external hard drive will record 1 SAT and 1 OTA channel at the same time, why would anyone not want the OTA tuner?

Both use the same firmware for the external hard-drive.

While the 211k may not be in current manufacture, we just acquired a second one (refurbished with factory warranty) for only $80 (Amazon Prime - Free shipping)...$7 a month added to the account (same programming).

Since they are both still available, I say get the one that works best for you

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #9

If you still need the legacy SD outputs then you would want the k, but the segment of the population who wants to use old TVs and/or SD in this day and age is shrinking. It's natural that they not be included on newer models, you can't support that stuff forever.

As to why someone wouldn't want an OTA tuner, many just use their satellite locals and don't want to mess with OTA. But again it's inexpensive to add if you want. And if you do you can record one satellite channel and one OTA channel at the same time, just like the k model.

I agree that everyone should buy what's best for them, I just don't see how that it would be a k model for anyone with a TV manufactured in this century that doesn't need NTSC video (which is hardly watchable by today's standards, and certainly not suitable for a big screen set) because the legacy outputs are about the only thing going for it. All the rest of the functionality (and more) can be duplicated in the newer z. But as always, YMMV.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If you still need the legacy SD outputs then you would want the k, but the segment of the population who wants to use old TVs and/or SD in this day and age is shrinking. It's natural that they not be included on newer models, you can't support that stuff forever.

As to why someone wouldn't want an OTA tuner, many just use their satellite locals and don't want to mess with OTA. But again it's inexpensive to add if you want. And if you do you can record one satellite channel and one OTA channel at the same time, just like the k model.

I agree that everyone should buy what's best for them, I just don't see how that it would be a k model for anyone with a TV manufactured in this century that doesn't need NTSC video (which is hardly watchable by today's standards, and certainly not suitable for a big screen set) because the legacy outputs are about the only thing going for it. All the rest of the functionality (and more) can be duplicated in the newer z. But as always, YMMV.
You must be the factory rep. for the VIP-211Z I use the K in both my home and coach. It's a matter of preference for me. I like the fact that I can watch the news (on NTSC output of the K) in my motorhome bedroom or basement TV without any special equipment other than the selector box already installed. I like the fact that the digital audio is available for my home surround system. If I didnt care about these things I would not have a problem with the Z. I move one of my Ks from house to motorhome as needed. I bought the receivers off ebay several years ago for around a $100 ea and have never had a problem with them.
Rich
Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #11

Only trying to provide some accurate information, which I think I've done so we can move on I guess.

Back to the OPs question, can you provide a little more detailed information on how you have the audio connected currently? What is generating your 'surround sound' and how are your devices connected to it?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP was asking about the audio output on the Dish 211's.

K beats Z for audio with a digital audio output port. And, the Z and K both have stereo L/R line-out, so either will work for an added soundbar or amplified surround sound system. Neither is Dolby, but...

...hope that helps the OP.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

You did not say what type of TV you have, most of the newer HDTV's have the digital optical audio out to connect to the surround sound amp. That way your Dish/Direct box, OTA, and Blu-Ray DVD will all play thru the surround sound without any additional switching.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #14

I'm considering adding pay as you go satellite to my rig since it already has an antenna. I have two TVs but I don't want to pay Dish for two receivers, particularly since we would almost never be watching two different channels at the same time. The fact that the k unit has rf out means I can send the signal to the bedroom if I want to. For me, k solves a problem.

Charlie

Tags
dish