Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2245 miles (Wash/Dulles to Phoenix). 60 pix and a video were great but not good enough for that kind of "investment".

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would suppose that a trade in would play some part in this equation? I get a little nervous thinking I will drive lots of miles and have the dealership nickle and dime me on the unit because they found something that they didn't ask about and now want to reduce the trade in value.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say it is smart to under represent any blemishes. That is stupid. As an example I have 2 blemishes...tree scratches and a cracked counter top. I have pictures of those items. I'm just thinking that they will tell me it is worse than I represented. I have a huge distrust factor in this area.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #17

2800 miles from St. John's NL Canada to Orlando FL. Negotiated the deal in advance but had not actually seen the coach.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Wow, I only went 2100 miles, very helpful seller with lots of pictures and answered all questions. The internet has made research easy so one can get a good idea of floorplans/options after that it's just a matter of finding the coach that fits your needs and negotiating a price. For a purchase like this traveling a long ways to get a good deal on the right coach is a minor expense in time and money compared to the cost of the coach itself.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
After much investigation and emails exchanged, I flew 1500 miles (on ticket purchased with Skymiles) to inspect and purchase RV. I don't see the problem of traveling a distance, after all, you're buying a vehicle for TRAVEL aren't you?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
After much investigation and emails exchanged, I flew 1500 miles (on ticket purchased with Skymiles) to inspect and purchase RV. I don't see the problem of traveling a distance, after all, you're buying a vehicle for TRAVEL aren't you?
Personally, that could be one of the most exciting parts of that process. Has anyone driven a trade in more than 500 miles to make the deal?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just bought a coach located 1700 away. As a newbie I would not know what to look for so hired an RV surveyor. Great peace of mind since I won't be seeing the coach until April. Did he find everything-probably not but the over five hour inspection and test drive report(over 35 pages) noting condition of coach and appliances certainly alleviated my major concerns. Perhaps of interest to others is that the surveyor will sell a copy of his full survey proceedure for those who feel they can do it themselves. The web site is Pre-purchase RV inspection service for motorhome and travel trailer RV buyers

T
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Almost 1,300 miles - AND we saved $21,000 by making the trip!!!

I'm talking "Used" - and I think "New" would be even easier with no fears of hidden problems...

There was an identical RV in our local area (just slightly lower mileage) - but the local dealer was STUCK on the price (guess it's a SoCal thing).

We found the exact same rig (Yr, Make, & Model) in Dallas, dispatched some family that live in the area to take a look and a month later we were on a plane ride to get our new RV!

If we hadn't had the family close-by to look at it, then we would have paid for an RV inspection/survey in Dallas.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #23

We were lucky enough to find what we wanted locally, but had searched from California to Florida (live in Memphis). Craigslist is actually where and how we found our (new to us) Tiffin. And LOVE IT!!! Took a 1200 mile shakedown cruise and added to our "story" along the way. Definitely search and get a good feel for the seller.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denforent View Post
I'm betting that salesman is long gone! A check with the dealer service manager would have given you a totally different opinion (and results). In this terrible economy, there aren't many shops turning away business! I'd report his comments to the sales manager, service manager and possibly even the dealership OWNER!!
Guess I got spoiled with all three of my RV purchases. The first dealer was only 85 miles from home and we shopped in that city quite a bit anyway. The second and third units were purchased 250 miles away but in the city where we were visiting relatives anyway.

I've run into the same repair problems with a non-purchased dealer (same one each time) who wouldn't deal at all on the new units, take it or leave it attitude, then told me first not to bring it in for any repairs, warranty or not, but later changed to only doing 3 warranty items with each visit. I even talked to the parent company manager who owns the dealership and was told as above - their customers come first.

Will be interested hearing all who drove a trade-in any distance to make a deal, and if the dealer stuck to his original quote. Some times it makes no difference what the trade-in actually looks like, my last trade-in was a '97 Southwind 32' and I got phone quotes all the way from $28,000 to the $45,000 where I actually purchased, and they stuck with the $45,000 after viewing the trade-in. When they're talking less than wholesale guess a few thousand one way or another doesn't amount to that much to them.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #25

Around 300 miles

We live in Western OK and bought our "used" Newmar at Dave's RV in Claremore (around 300 miles) Very happy with the MH, however it wasn't serviced as well as we would have liked. Found lots of small things that should have been taken care of at the dealer and weren't such as clogged dryer, carpet that was supposed to have been steam cleaned and obviously wasn't, loose belt on generator, and etc... Next time we will inspect more closely before driving off the lot. Other than that was a good experience. Are there any Newmar dealers left in Oklahoma?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #26

Traveled from Maui, HI to Sacramento, CA to look at motorhome (about 2,200 miles). It was owned by private party and ultimately I made the purchase. Agree with some of the previous replies, distance doesn't really matter. I have to see and touch an item before purchasing.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #27

For us it was 950 miles 3 times from SoCal to Junction City, Oregon. We found two Newmars we were interested in at the dealership. Made an appointment and flew there with pictures of our trade-ins (pickup and fifthwheel). Upon arrival our first choice coach was still available. We made the deal including trade-in allowance. The dealership wanted our trade-ins in the near future so we drove them there, Guaranty RV took the trades without a question, we moved all our stuff to the MH and flew home because of other commitments. A couple months later, we drove those 950 miles again with our toad.

Guaranty RV linked up the MH to the toad and we left on an 8500 mile trip to the East Coast after a stop in NE California for registration. Certainly not the smoothest (or brightest ) way to complete a deal but we LUV the coach . The trek to Delaware/our nation's capitol/and Gaffney SC for initial service and Camp Freightliner went without a problem .

We have a competent and reputable rv service (no sales) shop in our town. The shop and Newmar have agreed to make warranty work possible with prior authorization. We would also be more than willing to have service work done at Guaranty RV when we are back in Oregon.

We think the 3X effort to purchase what we wanted was worth the effort. Did I say that we LUV our Dutch Star? .
EZDZIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We traveled from Reno, NV to Albany, NY to buy one of our rigs. Went to Greenville, SC for the next one and finally bought the one we have now in Tucson, AZ. Half of the fun of the purchase is the trip to pick it up.

Tags
purchase, travel