Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Distance to travel for new "A" purchase?

How far have many of you traveled to look at/purchase a new DP? I'd like to see some Newmars in the 36-37 foot size but so far the closest dealers are 120-200 miles from home and even those don't show anything under 40' in stock on their web page, which even at that amounts to only 2-3 units at the most. So far I'm looking in the Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri areas. Anything in the Texas areas would amount to a 400-600 mile drive.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Surely for such a major purchase the distance is irrelevant. My next door neighbor just flew 2000 miles to look at a boat he didn't buy. Value $150k
I travelled Brisbane Australia to Sarasota Florida for my first purchase and again flew Brisbane to Dallas to pick up my car then drive to Jackson Mississippi for my next motorhome.
As a non US citizen I'm guessing there are more motorhomes available in the southern states as they can be used year round? So the more choice gives you a chance fir a better deal
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #3

I traveled to SF from NJ to look at a DP. Now that's far!
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Live in San Diego - bought from private party in near Oakland - about 500 miles. Airline or other access is a factor as well as distance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #5

I think the key is to be able to see what you want, even if it isn't the one you want. If you take the time to look at all the ones in your area, 0-300 miles around, find the model, floor plan, engine, chassis that meets your needs, then you can look anywhere, knowing it is the model you want. I agree, when you are spending close to $100K or more, flying even cross country, if you can save a couple of thousand and get exactly what you want, is worth it. For me, I got the first one about 400 miles from home, second one about 3 miles from my house. I looked all the way to Arizona and Ca though and would have gone there if the right one came up.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Bought my used unit from a dealer in northern Minnesota and I live in Northern Michigan. We drove out in early January and looked at the unit. We purchased it a few days later. We then drove back out in late May to pick it up. I see no problem in driving a few hundred miles. We spent a night in a motel on both trips and a few nights in some camp grounds an the last trip for the pick-up. Go fore it especially for a new unit.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I live in the Atlanta area and after months of searching found a used Newmar in Indiana that I really liked. After many e-mailed pictures, conversations with the owner, due diligence on my end with VIN ect I flew up with check in hand. Once I was satisfied we completed the transaction and I drove her home. Was a great purchase and I'm totally satisfied.
To me distance is irrelevant when spending this kind of money.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Atlanta and the one we bought was 900 miles away in Batavia NY.

It was a bit of a leap of faith as we had only received two pictures, but established a good rapport with the seller and felt good enough about the deal to buy two one way tickets. They picked us up at the airport, we stayed in the MH in their driveway, and we wired the funds the next morning. They took us to the DMV to get some drive out tags, and we drove it home.

Everything worked out great!

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #9

We shopped in five states across several dealers. We discovered that a motor home search is a national endeavor. We live in Southern Nevada and we were looking at coaches as far away as South Carolina. We got lucky and found our motor home locally.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #10

Some very good answers above; me I got 'lucky.' 15'ish miles for both the 'new unit,' then the upgrade.

Just my thoughts here, but take a pencil and tablet and write down all the features you want in the unit, how long, power plant, price range, etc.

Now with that, you can go on line with almost (assuming their still in business!!) and look at their floor plans. You can usually find older as well as new unit 'floor's.'

Narrow that down and then start your search. As noted above if this requires you to drive/fly to do a real 'eye ball,' so be it if you're dropping major bucks.

fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Found our first one 1 mile from the house. Second one was 1500 away in Florida. We cheated though, we were there with our first one we did look for our second one for over a year as by then we knew exactly what we wanted.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We bought our current rig from Tom Johnson's, Marion NC, while still living in Wisconsin. You may find a Chevy dealer in every town, but you're among the lucky if there is a dealer for the specific brand you want nearby. Once you get into motorized RVs few dealers are full service anyway, thus they are less relavant to the after the sale service.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #13

One thing comes to mind. When we were recently checking out new models at a local dealer so we could do an internet search and compare prices, the salesman told us they wouldn't do warranty work on a unit not bought there. I reminded him they get paid either way and he said something about not keeping their own customers waiting for service. Made me think that's not a dealership I want to work with, however, they are the only Tiffin dealer within 200 miles of us, and they are 2 hours away!
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I'm betting that salesman is long gone! A check with the dealer service manager would have given you a totally different opinion (and results). In this terrible economy, there aren't many shops turning away business! I'd report his comments to the sales manager, service manager and possibly even the dealership OWNER!!
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, travel