Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Distilled water how long

Two questions one day, that allowed? Oops make it three, so I topped off deep cycle batteries, didn't take much at all. Used the turkey baster idea someone on this forum suggested, made it real easy. But now I got almost a full gallon of water left, will it be good for spring season or buy new? Not that I'm cheap but it's another thing to remember to get.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #2

Distilled water in a sealed jug will last forever. Even if it's been opened once or thrice.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 last forever
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
From my experience, the water will last longer than the jug.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

It has many usage not just for battery's. If it is time to change antifreeze in car or truck or just add water it highly recommended that you use distiled water.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Works great in an iron too...how would I know that? DW does the ironing
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

Not great for making beer but I suppose you could always drink it in a pinch.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Speaking of filling batteries.....
These are very popular in Golf Course communities, where filling those deep cycle batteries is a monthly ritual.....

http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-Corpora.../dp/B003EHIFE4

...and you don't have to sneak the turkey baster in and out of the kitchen
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
From my experience, the water will last longer than the jug.
You're right about that! I opened the equipment bay where I have a gallon of distilled water and the gallon is now 1/4 gallon! There is a tiny hole on the side near the bottom where something put a dent in it.! Oh well, it's really cheap at Wal-Mart.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Theoretically, the water, once opened, is tainted. However, to what degree is the question.

No matter is the pollution of the water is measured in part per million (PPM), or parts per billion (PPB), or parts per trillion (PPT), the water will be shown to have been tainted because it had been opened to the air, which is polluted, in relation to sealed, distilled water.

In practical terms, does this pollution make any difference? Not a damn bit, sortta like the contents of this, my post!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Theoretically, the water, once opened, is tainted. However, to what degree is the question.

No matter is the pollution of the water is measured in part per million (PPM), or parts per billion (PPB), or parts per trillion (PPT), the water will be shown to have been tainted because it had been opened to the air, which is polluted, in relation to sealed, distilled water.

In practical terms, does this pollution make any difference? Not a damn bit, sortta like the contents of this, my post!

Ed
LOL!
But I think there is a significant difference between distiller water and sterile water. Sterile is no longer sterile after being left open. Distilled means it is just water,no minerals or other "stuff". I suppose if you had it open in an environment where is absorbed some nasty gas it would be tainted but in practical terms I would say it does not go bad.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #12

I use RO water. Also 2 oz mineral oil in each 12V cell an 4 oz in each 6V cell. Then you need no more water! Maybe
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every year I was lucky enough to get to go to the dealer show in Louisville, Ky. What makes it a great show is the chassis manufacturers come with their engineers. These are the guys who designed and developed the engines and chassis. I asked the Ford head engineer why they said in the shop manual you could go twice as many miles on the factory coolant as after a change. He stated it was because the factory used distilled water in the coolant and almost all shops and owners used tap water. Even when Ford stipulated distilled water, most people said it doesn't really matter and used tap water. The minerals deposit on the radiator and in the engine and cause problems. He said you could use the Ford mileage and time frame if you used distilled water.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #14

I went to my local grocery store to get distilled water. The label says "Premium Distilled Water". I have to wonder what makes it Premium or is that just a way of jacking up the price. Wal-Mart's doesn't say Premium.

Tags
water