Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
DIY fogged windows

I have received the materials to repair my fogged windows. I have watched acouple of Utubes. I am in search for some more detailed instruction possible from dave in OR. The spacing for the spacer between the two pieces of glass. Can I use my vacuum pump from my AC set up and put say a basket ball needle and adapt it in to the seal and pull a vacuum before sealing the glass completely. I HAVE DONE A SEACH ON THIS FROUM BUT NO SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS.
thanks in advance
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

an other tread to follow. I will try to do mine in a few weeks. I was thinking of using the ball needle also at both end with very low pressure but to add argon.
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I did two windows a couple of years ago. I did not pull a vacuum nor did the instruction say to do so. What I was told was to make sure that the glass was clean with a no residue window cleaner and replace the seals. Not a difficult process. Hardest part was getting the windows out and the panes separated. If you have significant staining, you may have to replace individual glass panes.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure why you would want a vacuum in the windows, It would only help pull outside air in to the sealed panes of glass, When I did my own, I did not do anything, just did them in a low humidity work area.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

Dave Root has done all of my windows plus I helped him on a few and all he did was split the glass with a razor blade clean off the glass with spray glass cleaner used lots of paper towels and razor blades then etched the edge of the glass applied the spacer seal then he had a hot tar gun to seal the edges let it cool then trimmed edge with razor blade then reinstall in the frame. They started at 7am and finished around 7pm worked non stop. He drove from Bend to my place to do them about 240mi one way, great guy
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You don't need a vacuum, but it does need to be dry between the panes. The fogging is moisture condensing on the inside, so you want dry air in there. Not a problem in Arizona, but maybe hard to do in Florida!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

Fogged window repair

I got my kit from Dave Root and repaired four of my windows two years ago.
Not a particularly hard job, but it does take a while. Just follow Dave's included instructions and all should go well. I think it's important to etch the glass edge and backfill carefully with the MCU caulk.
My windows are holding up fine, NO MORE FOGGING.
I still need to do two moe Windows.
RJ
2005 CC Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
What is the product to to etch the edge of the window before the seal? A liquid applied with a brush or a mechanical etching?

Thanks.
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

X2 on the eching ????
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #10

He used Emery Cloth, a fine grit, lots of it. He also has an electric tool with a fine stone about 1/2" wide with a edge guard so you only do the edge. With the emery you do both sides at one time.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I did 3 of my windows last year and posted on IRV2, here is a link to the post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dont...ng-246255.html

I had done a lot of research before deciding to tackle the project. Never read of the etching and would suggest it may not be a good idea as it may not provide a good surface for the spacer to adhere too tightly.

I did read a couple posts of people injecting/pumping gas into the window. Never read of pulling a vacuum.

Time will tell but my windows are still fog free.

I spent a total of ~$100 for the supplies and have enough of the spacer material left to do another 3-4 windows.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I did 3 of my windows last year and posted on IRV2, here is a link to the post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dont...ng-246255.html

I had done a lot of research before deciding to tackle the project. Never read of the etching and would suggest it may not be a good idea as it may not provide a good surface for the spacer to adhere too tightly.

I did read a couple posts of people injecting/pumping gas into the window. Never read of pulling a vacuum.

Time will tell but my windows are still fog free.

I spent a total of ~$100 for the supplies and have enough of the spacer material left to do another 3-4 windows.
Jim,

I'm assuming that the etching is done where the sealant is backfilled, behind the spacer, to improve the grip of the sealant to the glass. If so, I could see how this could create a better seal. The sealant failing is where most of the problems with the fogged windows happen. Anything to improve the longevity of the sealant is a good thing. That why it is smart to make sure that you leave plenty of space for the sealant between the edge of the glass and the spacer.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #13

Fogged Windows

ImNuts is correct, you only want to etch the the glass 1/4" from the edge where the MCU caulk is applied. NOT WHERE THE 3/16" ADHESIVE SPACER GOES.
This will allow the MCU caulk to adhere to the smooth glass better.
RJ
2005 CC Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #14

Would etching the glass 1/8 to 3/16 with a Dremel and sanding drum work at low speed work ????

Tags
window