Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
No, not possible. Fill/dip stick tube routed to a level nearly flush with the top of the compartment. Not bad for checking, but a real PIA to fill. You could temporarily extend the fill tube to a point up above the rear radiator opening, or do as one gentleman did and install a hatch to access an extended fill tube above the rad. opening.

As mentioned. Lazy. for the once a year hassle, seems much easier to fill from inside.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #16
Job completed

Thanks to all who replied with great suggestions for making my DIY project go smoothly. You guys are a blessing. Tom

TomMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
One more suggestion. Well a couple, first +1 on the Fumoto valve. I can't reasonably get our MH up high enough to get a 5 gallon bucket under it so we bought one of those plastic storage bins that is meant to roll under your bed. The little wheels are not a lot of help but the cover helps prevent the oil sloshing around from spilling out. From there I carefully dump most the oil into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. The rest into some empty gallon jugs from the last change. Yes the filter is big and heavy when full of oil and a challenge on our coach to wiggle into where it goes.

To fill it is much easier with some help. DW is nice enough to help hold the funnel while I pour.

EDIT: Online Truck Filters for Sale, Filterbarn H&S Industries - Filterbarn has great prices on filters and free shipping over $100 You can easily spend that if you buy all of your filters at once or two years worth.

Price wise it is about $100 DIY. Half or less what I would have to pay. That's not why I DIY though. It's easier to do it at home then to drive it somewhere and wait then bring it back.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
Where do all of you DIYers store all of this oil change gear? Do you tow a trailer with your gadgets, buckets, etc?
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Originally Posted by Greatscot View Post
Where do all of you DIYers store all of this oil change gear? Do you tow a trailer with your gadgets, buckets, etc?
Have you seen the storage on a DP or a bus? 200CF just in the compartments below. Once a year projects I keep my "Stuff" at my relatives.
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #20
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can anyone tell me how to access the Oil Fill Tube on my AXIS?
I got the Fumoto valve, and access under the MH is not a problem.
I just don't know what to remove to get to the fill tube.
Thank you in advance for the info

2016 Thor AXIS 24.1 RUV
RVM 118
The "Journey" is (the sight seeing part of) the "Destination"
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #21
Happy Traveler : )

I bought an air filter from the local Cummins dealer to have on hand to DIY when needed. Little did I realize it was the size of a small cannon! 15-20 lbs and 3' long!!

now I have a storage problem : (
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #22

Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Be sure to fill your new filter with oil before you install it. Mine hold about 3 quarts of oil. Also be sure the oil is up to operating temperature before draining.

Not sure about Cummins, but Cat recommends NOT pre-filling oil filter prior to installation on the 3126B engine.

If anyone is interested, the reference is Cat Operation& Maintenance Manual SEBU7294-00-01, dated 2007

For me, if it is not recommended, I don't have to worry about raising a full filter up and screwing it on! When I started the engine, the oil pressure came up within 5 seconds on the gauge.
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Not sure about Cummins, but Cat recommends NOT pre-filling oil filter prior to installation on the 3126B engine.

If anyone is interested, the reference is Cat Operation& Maintenance Manual SEBU7294-00-01, dated 2007

For me, if it is not recommended, I don't have to worry about raising a full filter up and screwing it on! When I started the engine, the oil pressure came up within 5 seconds on the gauge.

My understanding is that the engine won't start until the oil pressure comes up, the injectors need oil pressure to operate. I installed mine dry( contrary to my beliefs ) and had oil pressure almost immediately. Cat should know more about their own engines than anyone else, so I follow their recommendations.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #24
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had zero hesitation when I changed mine for the first time last spring. I don't know where those 2 quarts of air went to. The engine started immediately and ran smoothly. Easy day

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #25
To the OP. I found the best drain pan by cutting off a plastic 55G drum to just fit under the engine/transmission, it holds 1G per inch.
Speaking from experience; a diesel oil filter full of oil is HEAVY when you are in close quarters, and when you drop it (slick hands don't help) you will get an oil bath.

Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Even if I could do it, I wouldn't. Speedco, does mine with both fuel filters and lube for $220, including tax. It is a once a year thing. I do service the Genny myself though. Its very easy to get to.
I finally gave up DIY oil changes for my MH, age caught up with me. Anyway, Speedco charged me $174.99 including fuel filter, to change the oil N filter for my Cummins ISC engine, and another $54 for the Onan genset. State taxes not included.
My DIY cost to do that runs about $120.
A friend had his Essex(ISM engine ) serviced at a dealership and they charged him $545 to do the engine and genset.

I don't plan on DIY oil change on the MH again. I'll never be due for an oil change while distant from a Speedco because I'll have it done early to prevent that.

re: pre-filling oil filter. My 1999 Cummins engine will not start until the ECM detects oil pressure according to the engine manual. It hasn't shown up on the dash gauge yet, but the gauge flips up to 85 psi on a cold startup as soon as the ignition key is released.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #26
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
IF you take it on, get a 6pt socket vice the typical 12pt. Chances are good a gorilla tightened it last and you run a risk of rounding off the head of the oil pan drain bolt. Ask me how I know. A quick trip to TSC and picked up a 6pt (they only had it in Impact/black for sale individually).
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #27
Country Coach Owners Club
I just did my oil change (52 quarts for the engine, and 6 quarts for the gen). The cost of oil alone was $202+ $150 for all the fuel, oil, and air filters, from Filter Barn. I took out the engine drain plug and put in the Fumoto drain plug using a shop vac. I didn't have a drop of oil. There were two of us doing it; one operating the shop vac and the other one working on the drain valves.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #28
I use Speedco

It's just me but we use Speedco. They are 18 wheeler shops, in and out in about 45 minutes and you can stay in your coach.Change all filters and grease. you might save 50-100 dollars DIY but I'll let the experts do it.

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote

class a