Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA only requires my regular car drivers license, no air brake training or endorsement needed. Specifically written into the law is an exemption for all RV's from any add'l requirements.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #16

From what I understand you only need air brake endorsement if you are a for hire driver. All others need not apply

Old 05-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
As a Commercial driver in the U.S., you do not get an air brake endorsement but , you can get an air brake restriction that says you cannot drive a vehicle with air brakes if you fail the test or take driving test in vehicle without air brakes.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
If you domicile in Texas, you will need a non-commercial Class B if your GVWR is 26,001 or higher. Air brakes is a restriction that only appears on Commercial Licenses. There are no air brake restrictions on non Commercial licenses, therefore you are good to go.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
If you domicile in Texas, you will need a non-commercial Class B if your GVWR is 26,001 or higher. Air brakes is a restriction that only appears on Commercial Licenses. There are no air brake restrictions on non Commercial licenses, therefore you are good to go.
That's right, but some DMV office in Texas are making you take the air brake test too. It seems to be hit or miss on who actually has the right information.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
I am not up on U.S.motor vehicle Laws....
No one person is. For commerical trucks involved in interstate commerice, our federal government sets the regulations, and therefore there is uniformity in them.

For everything else, its a question of the state to decide what the law should be. Therefore, different states have different rules. Law makers aren't generally RV owners, so they might not realize that a 45' motorhome can be just as complicated as a class 8 truck and similar GCWR. Some states are on the ball and require special licenses based on weight or size or air brakes, but not all.

I'm domiciled in SD. Part of the advantage of SD over TX for me was no special license regardless of the size of the RV. The lack of annual inspections is a big plus too. I agree that the average person should get special training to drive a big DP, but like most people, think the rules should only apply to everyone else.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #21

Cali requires a non-commercial Class A license for motorhomes over 40 feet in length. Cali also requires non-commercial Class A license for 5th wheel trailers over 15,000 pounds and bumper-pull trailers over 10,000 pounds. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

However, you don't have to worry about your license if you're from out-of-state and driving in Cali.

Just be careful, though, the Cali CHPS are known to pull over Cali registered toy haulers to inspect the driver's license for the non-commercial Class A. Don't know if they do it for over 40 foot motorhomes.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #22

Just a suggestion , jurisdictions are different ,so legal in one may not mean legal everywhere. Here in Canada for example ,you do need an air brake endorsement. I am pretty sure there are some states ,that do as well. BTW : if I can pass ,anyone can .LOL .
Old 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Cali requires a non-commercial Class A license for motorhomes over 40 feet in length. Cali also requires non-commercial Class A license for 5th wheel trailers over 15,000 pounds and bumper-pull trailers over 10,000 pounds. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

However, you don't have to worry about your license if you're from out-of-state and driving in Cali.

Just be careful, though, the Cali CHPS are known to pull over Cali registered toy haulers to inspect the driver's license for the non-commercial Class A. Don't know if they do it for over 40 foot motorhomes.
Thats not quite right.

Motorhomes over 40' requires a non-commercial Class B.

A 5th wheel over 10,000 and under 15,000 requires a Class C with an RV endorsement.

A 5th wheel over 15,000 requires a non-commercial Class A.

If you want to drive all of the above you need a non-commercial Class A with an endorcement for motorhomes over 40'. You can't drive an over 40' motorhome with a non-commercial Class A without the endorsement. I know it sounds strange but that's CA for you.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #24

Why not just get the air brake training.

Knowing the basics of how they work would be a good thing, yes ?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #25

Regardless of what Cal requires as far as a license and testing, please get a copy of the CDL manual and study the airbrake section. There are system checks you should be doing to be sure your system is working properly. Do it for your own information and safety, regardless of what Cal requires.

THere's also some good videos on U-Tube that will help, but read and understand the air brake section of the CDL manual first.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
Yep, 40 feet and under, you are good to go.
And with over 40ft, what happens that might keep you from going?
On edit, I guess this has already been answered with the license requirement.
With that, I gotta say that I just love CA and my favorite state for traveling in, but not so sure, I'd want to live there and be able to maintain my standard of living, as a result.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #27

Even if you are over the 40 ft rule there still is no air brake endorsement required, but you must have the non commercial CL B license. Makes no sense.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another thing to remember in CA is that some roads are off limit to the 40'+ rigs and they love to write tickets for over 55 mph!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brakes, brake, brakes