Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have used a product called "Gel-Gloss" the last 15 years. Their heavy-duty one has a UV protestant that I use just on the decals. The regular formula is a cleaner and a wax I use about 3 times a year on the RV exterior. Last year I sold my 05' tt that the decals looked brand new. The fiberglass exterior of the RV was better than new when sold....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #44

Which one. I found several Gel-Glosses.

This?
https://store.gel-gloss.com/index.ph...c1a085dc20e63b

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I get this 1/2 gallon size of gel Gloss which will last me about 3 years. I use this one for general waxing. Meaning all exterior areas except the decals. For the areas with decals I get the Gel Gloss heavy-duty which is about twice the price. The heavy-duty has added UV protectors. Both of these links are at Camping World. Wally-World used to sell Gel-Gloss, but I have not seen it in a few years.

To use:

~ Get some clean old white or light colored terry cloth shop towels or old bath hand towels.

~ Put about 2" dollop on the cloth and rub and work an area about 2 foot square at a time. Don't wipe everything off.

~ You want to leave a haze to dry in about 10 minutes and come back with a clean soft polishing rag to buff to a silking smooth surface. The reason I say white or light colored towels, is to see just how much grim you are wiping off.

~ The first waxing in the spring, you will see that your rags get dirty very quickly from the winter grim if you leave your RV outside. the next time you wax you will notice less grim.

~ Every time you pour another dollop of Gel Gloss switch to a clean area of your towel. Here using a white of light colored towel will help to move to a clean section.

~ After your towel fills up with grim and has no clean areas left you can wash them out to use again. I'll soak them in a bucket with hot water and ring them out maybe 5-6 time to get most of the wax and grim out.

~ Can be used for all surfaces on the outside except windows. Good for the plastic frig vent cover, storage door frames, chrome trim. **I even wax my Max-air vent covers, roof frig vent AC cover...Call me crazy...but I like to wax...

~ The product is really easy to use...easy to wipe off. Good for those bugs on the front surface and the black streaks...
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #46

Good tips. Thx. I'm going out by CW tomorrow. Will check into it. With the Meguiar's, you can apply it to the entire vehicle before polishing it off. I'm wondering if I could do the entire MH, then go over the decals with the vinyl friendly Wash-Wax-All.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, I use Meguiar's Gold Class on my tow vehicle. My tt has the filon fiberglass exterior. Now if you have a painted exterior on your RV your will have to go more with a automotive wax. The most important thing is to protect the decals from day one...Un-protected...some will start to deteriorate after 2-3 years....

We had a fellow friend who's RV tt was never waxed. The oxidation was bad...I said " lets see what this Heavy-Duty Gel Gloss will do on your unit". It took us about an hour the do the rear panel....It was 1000% better...It even had a shine....
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Paint Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Hey, why not plan a trip down to the Mexican boarder. You'll get to see the scenery on the way down and get a great paint job by a Mexican pro. Lot's of them in small towns just across the boarder from US towns. My favorite team is in Mazatlan. I'm going back in week or two to have a damaged area redone.

Before picture (but after they'd already removed the vinyl stripping:

After picture:

All for $775USD.
That came out nice ! Very Nice
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #49

If you acquire a rig used, and it spent any serious time in the sun your decals are hosed, and even if you can get them to buff out they will look horrible shortly after.

Best best is to remove and paint where they were and just deal with the remainder of the coach.

There will serious fading you cant buff away that will be difficult to cover if you choose to go with a solid scheme.

Call it a stage 1 paint job. I went with Imron paint.

Color sand and buff the white and spray over where the stickers were with shiny new paint- and take 10 years off your coaches life.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old blue .jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	38893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	38894  

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	38895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	38896  

Name:	New Blue.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	38897   Click image for larger version

Name:	new blue side.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	38898  

Name:	door.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	38899  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Cost me close to 7K to have my decals removed (what was left of them) and then have them painted on. He said close to 5K to remove and replace with vinyl, or around 12k to pain entire thing. Looks fantastic now.
On our rig the full body paint was a $7,000 option in 2002 $$. But I'm sure glad we had it done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #51

Have a 2002 allegro bay decals were faded went to red bay al to RV custom paint they did an awesome job. Owner name Bruce Deaton phone 256 356 5695 i checked many places and he was the most reasonable changed the whole look of the coach. He will desigh any thing u want really a cool place to visit. He is booked solid all the time.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130514_190251.png
Views:	106
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	38904
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On our rig the full body paint was a $7,000 option in 2002 $$. But I'm sure glad we had it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Cost me close to 7K to have my decals removed (what was left of them) and then have them painted on. He said close to 5K to remove and replace with vinyl, or around 12k to pain entire thing. Looks fantastic now.

7K is about what I paid.

I skipped the whole body paint this time as the lower was already repainted when I got it, and the white buffed out really clean, but knowing what a hassle this was I would totally drop the dough on full body if buying new.

UD