Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried the powder once and never again. I can't remember it's name but it was almost like sand. Others use Dyna-Beads. Another buys air gun round bullets from Wal-Mart and used them. All that suff goes on the inside of the tire. I'm sure most of it works due to the laws of physics that govern how this works. However, not all of it works for 900,000 miles as stated by Rail.

The Centramatics go behind the front tire or between the two rear tires. We now have them on the fronts and will soon have them on the rears. A point that the manufacturer makes is your tires balance will change over time. Throw a weight, pick up a clump of mud, ice, cut a piece of tread off, tire wear etc, etc. Yes the internals will change unless moisture has effected their ability to move around.

I took my two front RV tires off. Took them to a tire shop and had them add the powder. The very first time I checked the air pressure the powder stopped the valve from closing and it went flat. Yes I know about the special valve stems. Yet another expense. I just didn't want to deal with the possibility of loosing the air and ruining a perfectly good tire. When you have to buy special stems so you can check tire pressures and now they have to prevent the sand from stopping up the valves nope ain't going there. Way to much special crap that has to work flawlessly to protect my tires.

New technology is and can be good but it needs to be tested and I don't want to be the one doing the testing.

We go to FL every Spring and there is a Centrimatic dealer in Edge Water, FL. That's a ways from Tampa but you might be in the area. Actually that's where I ordered mine.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
Thanks Guys for the great info. It looks like the consensus is for the Centramatics. I see on their website, they say only 1 pair for the dual rears? I assume you mount them behind the outside tires? They also indicated that it is almost more important on dual rears than front due to less weight on the tires and being prone to pounding which causes heat.
I live in RV sales central, the Tampa Bay area, can you buy them outside of Centramatic direct? I did not see on their website who sells these outside of them direct?
Also, if not sold through installing dealers, anyone try a DIY install with these if you have two guys and a heavy duty compressor and impact wrench?
Sky Pilot
Correct
Rear Centramatics go between the dually wheels... fronts behind the wheels.
An online search for "centramatic wheel balancers" will find many sellers.
I had mine installed at a tire dealer's shop.
Mel
'96 Safari, (happy with Centramatics since '02)

Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #17

When you have balancing "powder" installed, you HAVE to have the proper valve stems installed. Not a big deal to do it, but a BIG DEAL if you don't, as you can get a stuck valve. That's not the fault of the powder, it's the fault of the installer.
The powder is also ceramic, so it does not absorb moisture.
It also does not affix itself in any way to the inside of your tire. That's why as a tire starts to age or get out of balance, they will continually balance the tire, because they settle to the spot where they're needed every time you drive the rig.
It's normal to feel a little wobble when you first start up, as it takes a minute or two for the beads to get where they need to be, and enough speed on the tire to hold them there.

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #18

its physics.... yes it works.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
TeJay,

"However, not all of it works for 900,000 miles as stated by Rail."

Buddy, You need to re-read my post again, I was talking about Centramatic's, not the other stuff as you refer to! And yes, Centramatic's will last forever! And you can move them to your new coach when you up-grade!
I was telling this from my experience having them on a OTR Semi!
And I believe they have a lifetime warranty! Rail!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
TeJay,

"However, not all of it works for 900,000 miles as stated by Rail."

Buddy, You need to re-read my post again, I was talking about Centramatic's, not the other stuff as you refer to! And yes, Centramatic's will last forever! And you can move them to your new coach when you up-grade!
I was telling this from my experience having them on a OTR Semi!
And I believe they have a lifetime warranty! Rail!
Rail

I don't know about FOREVER. but I do know that Centramatic Wheel Balancers last for 130,000 miles, (14 years).
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #21

Does anyone know where to buy the Centramatics on Vancouver Island, BC? I cannot seem to find a dealer here through internet searches.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Does anyone know where to buy the Centramatics on Vancouver Island, BC? I cannot seem to find a dealer here through internet searches.
Mentor
Most any truck or RV tire dealer should be able to order, and install Centramatics for you.
(Few dealers stock them because there are many different sizes and bolt patterns).

BTW, on rear duallys, "Link Cat's Eye" equalizers, (Link Cat’s Eye®), or "Dual Dynamics Crossfire" equalizers, (Crossfire - Dual Dynamics), are also convenient.
(I have had the Cat's eyes on my coach for 13+ years, (120,000 miles)

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #23

I have the Dnay Beads in all 8 tires on my coach and couldn't be happier. Bought them for my Jeep with 42" tires but didn't put them in. It ran so smooth without them!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rail,
Don't get your ****** in a wad. Re-read my post. I was not doubting your statement. I was reinforcing your positive comment about your Centramatics having lasted for 900,000 miles and the fact that many of the others (powders, beads etc) will in no way last anywhere near that long. I mentioned the stuff that is put inside the tire as not lasting as long as what you said your Centramatics did

I ordered my Centramatics for the rears today and spoke to a sales rep at the factory in TX. Their warranty is for 5 years. I asked him about some of the other products. He hears lots of stories about products that failed. He mostly was against the stuff placed inside the tire. He said that some ceramic beads will begin to break apart after so many miles which causes clumping of the product and subsequent balance issues. Their medium is suspended inside a liquid so weights banging together is non existent.

If you use stuff inside the tire what about the internal tire pressure sensors that are on a lot of vehicles. I wonder how much that might cause issues with materials constantly rolling around the tire??

The REAR F-53 balancers are almost flat like a pizza pan and have up to 20oz's of weight to distribute. They have to be able to balance not one but two tires, rotor and subsequent other spinning stuff. I was pleased with the balance and looking forward to adding the new rear Koni's and the Centrimatic balancers.

TeJay