Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Do Dyna Beads or Centramatic work

on balancing front tires? I have a low mileage 2009 Monaco on a W-22 with new tires that were supposedly balanced and have slight vibration in wheel starting about 60 and worsening with speed. I have read some older posts on this and see both the above suggested. With some saying the Centramatic will do more to correct any balance problems caused by brakes or wheels in addition to tire balance.

Has anyone used both? Or has anyone had slight vibration in steering wheel and had it corrected by the above?

Thanks
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Equal in the Motorhome tires. I have Centramatics on the Jeep.

On the jeep because when off-roading at low tire pressures a tire can slip on the rim or get chunked on the rocks.

Both work well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been looking at this for several years. Many have sworn by the beads, sand etc. I tried the sand and the first time I tried to check my tires the valve stuck open and my tire went flat. I know there's a valve to prevent that but I didn't want to take a chance. I was also told by my alignment guy that it was not worth it.

After a lot of reading I went with the centrimatics. I got them for the fronts. I was going to leave the weights on and just let the balancers fix any slight imbalance. Centrimatic says to take all weights off so I did. Installed them and all is well. The tires have not had a lot of miles but they are very smooth. they are improved over the weighted tires. We will be going for a short trip next month. I'm convinced that they work.

TeJay
Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to be a big believer of spin balancing from my days working in a tire store. Several years ago when I changed the rear tires on my 05 Diplomat, I added the Centramatics. Since you typically don't notice too much bounce from rear tires, it was hard to know how well they worked. After about 30K miles on the rears, all four were wearing perfectly. When I changed out the front tires on the same coach a few years later, I tried the beads. They worked great too!

We bought a new coach last year and I had a very slight balance issue at about 60 mph. I installed the Centramatics on the front and now it's as smooth as silk.

So.....I think both the beads and the Centramatics work well. I like the idea of the Centramatics because they are there for the life of the coach. If you look around, you can find some for your coach for under $180.00 a pair.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Dyna Beads certainly do work. I have a Toyota rock crawler with 37-12.50x16 tires on it. I added 11 oz. of beads in each tire and frankly, never have to worry about balance again! Below about 30 MPH, I feel a little "lope" but once I get above 35, it's as smooth as any spin-balanced tire I've ever used.

That said, I think Centramatics are a better choice for RVs. It's the same principal ,and if you ever need a tire repair, you don't have to warn the tire guy about the beads. You'd be amazed how many techs don't know anything about balance beads and don't want to learn!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Centramatic balances front and rear are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. One of the first things that I added to my rig. They balance the tire and the hub assembly. Very smooth!

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My semi had centramatic's on it when I bought it, and they were still on it when I sold it, 12 years later! When replacing tires, I always had the new tires spin balanced, just to check for "out of round", and to see how much weight they needed to balance out, if more than 4 ounces, I would tell them to get another tire! I would specify this before they started to swap out the tires, and if any complaints, I would find another shop! Its your money, get the best from the start, and you have less problems in the future! This was on 22.5 LP tires!
My tires always ran smooth, and wore even! The centramatic's work as they say, and last forever! I had over 900,000 miles on them, and they were on the truck when I bought it! Rail!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I just recently put them on my rv but so far they seem to work perfect!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:32 AM   #9

I have had the oppisite experience with dyna beads. When I put bigger wheels on an tires on the jeep I had the beads added. Initially was good, however I believe a combination of a couple things make it get bad quick.

At the time, it was "winter" here in Florida so we were getting some cold snaps. Secondly, I was traveling and the jeep would sit for a few days. I believe during this time as the temp dropped at night and would rise during the day it caused the beads to dislodge. The jeep would shake violently the first time I would drive it after siting during those periods.

Being a brand new jeep, that just didn't work for me. I removed them and it has been fine ever since. I still think they have their place, but as with many things situations can occur that don't allow them to perform as expected.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #10

Thanks Guys for the great info. It looks like the consensus is for the Centramatics. I see on their website, they say only 1 pair for the dual rears? I assume you mount them behind the outside tires? They also indicated that it is almost more important on dual rears than front due to less weight on the tires and being prone to pounding which causes heat.

I live in RV sales central, the Tampa Bay area, can you buy them outside of Centramatic direct? I did not see on their website who sells these outside of them direct?

Also, if not sold through installing dealers, anyone try a DIY install with these if you have two guys and a heavy duty compressor and impact wrench?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
Thanks Guys for the great info. It looks like the consensus is for the Centramatics. I see on their website, they say only 1 pair for the dual rears? I assume you mount them behind the outside tires? They also indicated that it is almost more important on dual rears than front due to less weight on the tires and being prone to pounding which causes heat.

I live in RV sales central, the Tampa Bay area, can you buy them outside of Centramatic direct? I did not see on their website who sells these outside of them direct?

Also, if not sold through installing dealers, anyone try a DIY install with these if you have two guys and a heavy duty compressor and impact wrench?
I had found a set of new ones for the front on ebay. The rears I bought direct from them. On the rear one goes between the two tires, you have to make sure if you use extenders for your valves that they don't rub coming thru the hole in the centramatic. I installed them myself. Just got the coach high enough to get the wheel off, installed and was able to lift the wheel the little bit to get on. I saw someone post they used a 2x4 on front and rear of tire to use it as a leveraged lift. Not hard, took maybe an hour to do all of them. I just used a 1/2" breaker bar and tightened them up with my torque wrench.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #12

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Nothing available local and I did not have time to order anything as I am leaving for a road trip Wed. I took coach into a Commercial tire shop and had them rebalance everything. In one of the front tires, they found some powder type balance material, it had gotten moisture in it and had solidified causing the front end vibration. The shop says they have seen that several times.

So, I do not know who makes this powder but obviously it does not make sense to put something that can absorb moisture and change its texture into a tire?

The coach now rides 100% better although I wish the steering was a little tighter, everything was aligned and it still feels a little shaky (sensitive) but I have moved back into a Class A from driving a Fleetwood Sprinter. Everything is a trade off, the Sprinter was very easy to drive and got 15 mpg+ at 70 but just too cramped, even with a slide.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Most all truckstops (TA's, Petro's) sell Centramatic's and will install them for you! Ask if they will install them for free, if you buy from them? Worth a shot? Rail!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must be doing something wrong. Les Schwab has put tires on my SUV, Conversion van and motorhome forever. I've always used Toyo tires and they've always been spin balanced. With a proper front end alignment I've never had an issue that requires aftermarket remedies. Hopefully I never will. I have made a few note however in the event my game plan ever changes. Keeping the proper tire inflation I've always gotten more mileage from my tires than the manufacturer states they are capable of and they've always given me a smooth quiet ride. Of course I make sure than my suspension is well maintained. I just had new Konis installed all the way around before my current trip. Funny thing is that Koni doesn't make a shock that fits my tag axel so I had Bilsteins installed. I also had the sway bar bushings replaced. Everything works in unison and must be done right. Needless to say I have the suspension well cared for and the ride is much improved as a result. Even the best components don't last forever.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote