Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Do I have bad gas

Here is my situation, just drove from North Carolina to Hill City SD with no issues or problems. When I got off fo I-90 I pulled into a Flyin J and top off my tanks. Diesel.
When I went to climb the hill from I-90 to Hill City not as much power, and eventually I started to overheat.
So did I get some bad fuel and if so how do I correct, can't really dump 100 gallons of diesel in the campground.
Looking for other ideas or suggestions on what to do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When was the last time you put fuel filters on it? I have fueled at that station and haven't had problems, doesn't mean that they didn't get a bad load of fuel. I would suspect it's time to put filters on it, probably gonna have to anyway just in case you got some crud from their tank.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Filters is a good start....also drain water separator as a beginning. Does the engine idle smoothly?
Orionfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Also, keep in mind if you do filters etc...you may have to bleed the fuel system especially if it's an older diesel system
Orionfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

Could be a tanker was dumping or just dumped and stirred the tank up. If that's the case you could get a load of junk and a good amount of water. I would change the filters and pick up a spare set just in case. I would not drain the tank but that's just me.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Flying J/Pilot has been adding 5 to 20% bio to their fuel mix. It will clean crud in old tanks. And will require changing filters more often then past.
Only good thing is bio is a good lubricant for the injectors.

Look up where you last filled. Bio rate is on far right.
In SD Sioux Falls is the only one with Bio20 the others 0
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am with the others. The filters may clogged up with garbage. Our last trip, Flying J was our exclusive fill point, no issues with bad fuel. Glad to get back to WI, no bio at our regular station
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #8

Yes, engine idles smoothly, problem occurs under load. Will change fuel filters and see what happens, stay tuned
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
What is your boost looking like? Either exhaust brake or leak in charge system? Rear radiator? Slober tube throwing oil on radiator thus clogging?

LEN
Old 06-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

Plan B, just checked, crawled under the coach, filters look new. called Freightliner in Asheville NC, they were changed before I left . So the filters only have 1500 miles and one weeks worth of driving, seems unlikely to me that they are clogged but maybe. Before I change them looking for other possibilities. Checked radiators, no obvious blockage, but I know they are hard to really checked due to design but had no issues before last fuel stop so logic tells me it is a fuel delivery problem. Any thing else I can check before I try to hit the road tomorrow?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would find a place that sells some diesel additive then. Preferably something that would treat water, but also a cetane booster. Dose it pretty hard compared to what the label says and hope that works. I too, would find it hard to believe that your filters would be plugged bad enough in such a short order, but if you got some crud cleaned out of your tank or theirs it could be. Might want to gather some spare ones just in case of trouble out in the middle of the highway somewhere. Good Luck, and safe travels. Randy
Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Add a couple cans of Seafoam to your fuel tank. Check your air filter too. It could be it might be in need of a change as well. Did you notice any difference in the tone of the motor while under load? I ask this because you could have a blockage in your exhaust which really appears under heavy load conditions. A baffle in the muffler could have broken lose and causing restrictions.

USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

Update, changed my fuel filters, added several cans of additives, lucas, seafoam power select etc.
Drove 350 miles today over hill and dale in 100 degree heat, all is good. Did see temps rise, but considering the weight I am towing 7500#, the heat and elevation here in Montana all went well.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Must have gotten some bad diesel then somewhere on your travels to have effected the new filters, but it does happen. Glad to hear all is well and you're back on the road having fun! Randy

Tags
gas