Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I check wheelbarrow tires for balance before I buy them. Cheaper than having them balanced. Also i buy a full set at a time to ensure they are matched. (-:

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Commercial Member

While I might always balance the fronts not sure if doing dual rears is worth the extra cost unless there is a vibration. BUT when buying new tires it is certainly easier and may be less expensive to balance all tires while still off the RV.

Depends on the cost.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
What is the typical costs to unmount balance etc?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #18

You definitely need to have them balanced. We put new duals on our 2001 Adventurer when the old ones wore out at about 50,000 miles. They were supposedly balanced with Equal powder. Everything was fine for the first 20,000 miles. Then I began to feel some vibration.

As time went on the vibration got worse and worse. Finally on a trip to Florida I stopped a tire shop. I asked them to dismount all 4 rear tires, remove the Equal, and rebalance them with external weights.

When they started the process they called me into the shop to show me the progress. None of the tires had any balance powder installed in them even though I'd been charged for it when I purchased the tires. The tires were remounted and balanced. The worst tire took over 12 ounces of weight and all the others took about 8 ounces.

Even with the newly balanced tires I could feel vibrations. There were already flat spots caused by not being balance for over 30,000 miles. I eventually replaced the tires again because of the poor ride quality. Tires that should have easily gone 60,000 miles or more had to be replaced with less than 40,000 miles on them because they weren't balanced when thy were new.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
When they started the process they called me into the shop to show me the progress. None of the tires had any balance powder installed in them even though I'd been charged for it when I purchased the tires.
It sounds like you had your tires put on at the same place I did.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #20

Quote:
What is the typical costs to unmount balance etc?
Just cost me $120 to do the 4 on the rear axle. They even used a torque wrench without being asked which is a first time for me.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
A while ago I had to replace the tire on my wheel barrow. Went to the local tire dealer who is a friend of our son in law. I had not met him previously so the devil in me thought I will make his day.
When the tire replacement was done and I was paying I asked the young fellow "Do I have to get the tire balanced?" He looked at me and very seriously said "No sir, it will be just fine the way it is." I thanked him and took the tire home.
A couple days later I was talking to my son in law and he told me a story about this old guy that went to his friends tire store and asked if his wheel barrow tire needed to be balanced.
Apparently it did make his day.
Gordon Dewald
Now that is funny!
BTW, I never had a wheelbarrow tire balanced, but a wheel alignment can reduce tire wear.

Here's another jab at young people:
When my son returned a length of unused cardboard concrete pour tube to a big box store, the young clerk asked, " Is something wrong with it"?
My son replied, "YES, the spring is broken".
Mel
Old 05-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
At the New cost of tires balancing is a very very small cost. Just do it. I am very happy with the beads for balance and my MH sits for months before on the road again.

LEN
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
You definitely need to have them balanced. We put new duals on our 2001 Adventurer when the old ones wore out at about 50,000 miles. They were supposedly balanced with Equal powder. Everything was fine for the first 20,000 miles. Then I began to feel some vibration.
As time went on the vibration got worse and worse. Finally on a trip to Florida I stopped a tire shop. I asked them to dismount all 4 rear tires, remove the Equal, and re-balance them with external weights.
When they started the process they called me into the shop to show me the progress. None of the tires had any balance powder installed in them even though I'd been charged for it when I purchased the tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
It sounds like you had your tires put on at the same place I did.
IMO, that is a major problem with far to many RV service providers.
If you can't see it, (like balancing beads), and/or if you aren't allowed to watch them do other services, (like routine maintenance), you often pay for things that never actually get done.....(they make more money that way).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Better to balance them when you install them,just had new Michelins installed and balanced them using the balancing beads cost about $30.00 per tire
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whatever method you use to balance the tires, it is imperative that you also make sure the rim is centered on the hub. No amount of balancing will make up for an improperly centered rim. On some installations, the hub is designed to accurately center the rim, and not dependent on the type and method of bolt installation. Others are highly dependent on bolt type and installation. Even on some self-centering hubs, you may need to use shims to make sure there is no slop between the hub centering ring and the rim. Any tire / wheel shop worth their salt will make this process transparent to you. The fly-by-nights will more likely screw it up than not. Pick a good tire shop and ask the hard questions.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
good point and over looked
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #27

Rexhall Owners Group
Do enugh of you use the balancing beads to know if they are effective on an R.V? I use them on my motorcycle and they are fantastic. Just asking?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick327 View Post
Do enugh of you use the balancing beads to know if they are effective on an R.V? I use them on my motorcycle and they are fantastic. Just asking?

I've had them for a year now in my fronts, couldn't be happier. When the time comes they will go in the rears also.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote