Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #29

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The law requires balancing on the front.
The rear duels are optional.
I do it because the tires ride better and wear better. Tires often require rebalancing during the life of the tire. Most people don't do this. If I see cupping I will rebalance otherwise I let them go the distance. If the cupping is extreme I just buy new.
Tire management is very important!
Now with that said I have heard of balancing beads but know very little about them.
Could somebody enlighten me on this.?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #30
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
The law requires balancing on the front.
The rear duels are optional.
I do it because the tires ride better and wear better. Tires often require rebalancing during the life of the tire. Most people don't do this. If I see cupping I will rebalance otherwise I let them go the distance. If the cupping is extreme I just buy new.
Tire management is very important!
Now with that said I have heard of balancing beads but know very little about them.
Could somebody enlighten me on this.?
Not sure about the law requiring any tire balancing, at least not here in MN that I know of.

Balancing beads are added to the tire and accomplish a dynamic balance once the wheel is installed on the vehicle. Depending on the size of the tire a corresponding amount of beads are added (4 oz, 6 oz, etc) per the bead manufacturers specs. The standard valve stem core is replaced by a valve core that doesn't allow the beads to come out when pressures are adjusted. Otherwise everything else remains the same.

My anecdotal observation and experience with tires 19.5" and larger in the fleet I worked on was they accomplished the balancing of the wheel, tire and hub assembly; extended tire life without cupping or uneven wear (unless the alignment or other causes aren't corrected).

The advantages as I see them are that unlike external wheel weights they don't come off the wheel on rough roads; they are self adjusting and do so each time the tire hits uneven surfaces; and, they dynamically balance the wheel, tire, hub assembly which eases wear and tear on all suspension components and bearings.

While it costs more up front to balance in this manner, in the long run it is probably cheaper due to the possibility of loss of external methods which require re-balancing and the reduction of wear and tear on the suspension due to unbalanced or improperly balanced tires.

Personally I would use them in all posistions on the vehicle. JMHO

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
narampa.....Could you explain " The law requires balancing on the front." a little more.

Maybe a link to a site stating that law.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Just cost me $120 to do the 4 on the rear axle. They even used a torque wrench without being asked which is a first time for me.
I told the shop near me to use torque wrench. The bonehead promptly put all the lug nuts on with a impact wrench then goes behind with torque wrench. I says, how do you know if that is over-torqued now? Had them do it all over the right way. I hate taking my RV anywhere to get it worked on unless I can stand right over them.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #33

" The bonehead promptly put all the lug nuts on with a impact wrench then goes behind with torque wrench."

Yes, and the torque wrench socket doesn't move at all before it goes click. This is SOP that they have obviously been taught by the senior bonehead who was taught by his senior bonehead etc etc and the amazing thing is it doesn't matter what the vehicle is, the setting on the rattle gun is always the same. AND they always claim their rattle gun is a super-dooper calibrated unit.

- as is dipping some gunk out of a grotty bucket and slathering it all over the wheel studs regardless whether your chassis specs require stud lubrication or dry threads. I suspect this might be the same gunk they always forget to put on the tyres before seating the bead.
-as is putting the standard easy to remember truckies 100psi in all your tyres without checking
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #34

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
narampa.....Could you explain " The law requires balancing on the front." a little more.

Maybe a link to a site stating that law.
Sure.
When I had new tires installed about a month ago. The quote I had received was all 6 wheels installed and balanced for x # of dollars. When I made the appointment they told me that balancing in Alberta (Canada) the law required front axle to be balanced but rear drivers were not required. To me it made no difference as I always balance all my tires.
I wished I had asked her about what she said but it never crossed my mind at the time.

Here is a link to the company. The sales ladys name was Tara.
Kal Tire Location Finder - Kaltire
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #35

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Not sure about the law requiring any tire balancing, at least not here in MN that I know of.

Balancing beads are added to the tire and accomplish a dynamic balance once the wheel is installed on the vehicle. Depending on the size of the tire a corresponding amount of beads are added (4 oz, 6 oz, etc) per the bead manufacturers specs. The standard valve stem core is replaced by a valve core that doesn't allow the beads to come out when pressures are adjusted. Otherwise everything else remains the same.

My anecdotal observation and experience with tires 19.5" and larger in the fleet I worked on was they accomplished the balancing of the wheel, tire and hub assembly; extended tire life without cupping or uneven wear (unless the alignment or other causes aren't corrected).

The advantages as I see them are that unlike external wheel weights they don't come off the wheel on rough roads; they are self adjusting and do so each time the tire hits uneven surfaces; and, they dynamically balance the wheel, tire, hub assembly which eases wear and tear on all suspension components and bearings.

While it costs more up front to balance in this manner, in the long run it is probably cheaper due to the possibility of loss of external methods which require re-balancing and the reduction of wear and tear on the suspension due to unbalanced or improperly balanced tires.

Personally I would use them in all posistions on the vehicle. JMHO
Thanks for the explanation! I remember the balancing rings that bolted on with the wheel. They were filled with beads,never used them but they fell off the market quite fast. Same concept but not a great product I guess.

And I do agree that weights can come off. On our last trip I removed the wheel cover and if I had not been careful the weight would have fell off as the cover seeme to grip it some how.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry gave the link to the wrong location here is the correct one.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Sure.
When I had new tires installed about a month ago. The quote I had received was all 6 wheels installed and balanced for x # of dollars. When I made the appointment they told me that balancing in Alberta (Canada) the law required front axle to be balanced but rear drivers were not required. The sales ladys name was Tara.
narampa
Were Tara's lips moving when she told you that?
I have found when any sales person's lips are moving there's a good chance they're lying, (or they have no idea what they are talking about).
'96 Safari
Mel
Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
yep I can see the cop, sir remove your hubcaps need to see the balance weights!

But I have beads inside...................tell it to the judge
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have them all balanced with lead weights. I know they work and have never had and fall off of any vehicle. Agree with those that say you have to watch the guys working on your rig to make sure it's done right. Guys that put on my tires tried to install with no balancing.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Another thing I do is remove all the weights before going to the tire place, that way U don't have a zillion weights
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Sure.
When I had new tires installed about a month ago. The quote I had received was all 6 wheels installed and balanced for x # of dollars. When I made the appointment they told me that balancing in Alberta (Canada) the law required front axle to be balanced but rear drivers were not required. To me it made no difference as I always balance all my tires.
I wished I had asked her about what she said but it never crossed my mind at the time.

Here is a link to the company. The sales ladys name was Tara.
Didn't realize you were in Canada. I've never heard of it here in the United States.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know of it in Alberta either - but stranger things have happened.