Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

Do I leave the shore power on ?

Hello,

We will be keeping our coach at a campground for two months and using it there three to four day's a week. I have two questions,

1) Should I shut the shore power off when we leave or can I leave it on the 50 amps. ? I want to have power to the refer. and keep the batteries charged.

2) Can I run the engine when plugged into shore power ?

Thanks for your help.

Mattpro
Mattpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi mattpro....I leave my shore power on for 6 months at my campground for the same reasons you want too. This is my third season with no problems.
Also, I sometimes run my engine and leave the shore power hooked up. In fact, if your coach is equiped right, you can start your generator to exercise it once a month while hooked up to shore power. Your converter should switch over to the generator as this takes first priorty.
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #3

Make sure your battery charger is not the type that will boil your batteries dry if left on for an extended time. You can get a battery disconnect or use a smart charger if the RV has the normal dumb charger type.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply, I was concerned that my converter would be working to hard, I had one go out when the coach was new. I have started the generator when hooked up to the house and it tripped a 20 amp breaker and I have never run the engine when hooked up to power.

To Two Bits point, I should check the water in the batteries each month.

Thanks again

Mattpro
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
By default the generator will take priority over shore power. However---sometimes things don't go right. So I always unhook shore power when running Gen.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mattpro,
One can run the engine with shore power connected. If you asked this question because you'll be starting the engine and running it in place, at the camp site, please reconsider. There may be no benefit to doing this. Harm may be done by doing this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #7

Hi Gary,

My reasoning was, not to let the engine sit without running it a few times. We have never stayed in one place that long so I'm trying to out think myself I guess

Mattpro
Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re Convertes: Some rigs have single stage battery boilers.. Others have lovely 3-stage battery babying converters.. Damon blessed me with a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard.. Will it boil the batteries dry.. YES, how long does it take,, long about 14 months or more.. IN short, that's one very good converter.

SOme of 'em 14 DAYS and your batteries are shot

SO post the make and model of your converter. That is the deciding factor
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mattpro,
Let the engine sit idle. Loose no sleep over letting it set for a few months. Once one starts an engine all the components should be brought up to operating temp (engine, tranny, exhaust, etc.) this can not happen sitting at a campsite. In a single word, moisture. Let the engine sit and it will be fine. Start it up and sit at the camp site will allow moisture to be partially burned (but not all). Heat and moisture will do damage to whatever they are left to contact.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #10

Thanks,

I will look at the converter this weekend and not worry about the engine, I never thought about moisture. Thanks for the help, We haven't been doing this to long and it's good to come here for some help.

Mattpro
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, one other thing to check... Does your rig charge the CHASSIS (Starting) battery when on shore power? If not there are 3 options

1: Xantrex Echo charge
2: Trick-l-start
3: Jumper wire (SEE NOTES)

The first two are simple 3 wire installs, #2 is less expensive, they will charge the chassis battery but will not let it discharge the house batteries excessively should it short. (they work much the same as my battery control system by Inteletec)

The third method I do not recommend for long term use. (if one battery shorts, they all need to be replaced)

The Trick-l-start is a perment additition to your rig, and insures a full starting battery too. (Or the 1st one I listed at a higher price)