Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Do I need a Battery Minder

I just picked up my 2012 Phaeton 40 QTH and will store it in a fully enclosed unheated/uncooled garage
with 30 amp power available. How do I keep the house batteries charged and in good shape. Do I just plug it in and let it be. I am a new rv person and need help please.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

Yep, plug her in and your inverter/charger should take it from there. Suggest you read the inverter manual for any suggestions on settings that you might want to adjust but you're probably fine just the way it is.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

If you have a 3 stage charger, you should be alright. I have a BatteryMinder Model 12248, 2-4-8Amp Charger/Conditioner/Maintainer/De-Sulfator and have it connected with an umbilical cord from my garage. Between trips, I unplug my single stage inverter/charger and leave my 50 amp cord plugged in to keep the fridge going on 120 volts shore power. The BatteryMinder replaces the current the fridge control board uses. The BatteryMinder automatically goes into the Conditioning/De-Sulfate mode when the batteries are charged. If all you have is a single stage charger, it can cook the batteries dry.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
we have decided to use the Trik-L-King by winebago... to tap off the house batteries... because our engine batteries drain down when engine has not been run for a period of time....info available is impressive and hookup is very simple

Good luck
Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

The BatteryMINDer(tm) is a good choice.

Look for a device that features battery maintenance and uses a technique that inhibits sulfation as well as keeps a full charge on the battery. Many battery chargers and trickle chargers are for charging and not for storage maintenance. This is the difference between the Battery MINDer and Battery Tender products, for instance.

In this era, float or trickle charging only - while better than nothing - just isn't enough.

There are some converters that feature battery storage maintenance. The Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard and the Iota appear to be two of them.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

I've been using BM® products for over 12 years. BT® may have a similar product, but they just copied BM®. The Model 12248 has Gel, Flooded and AGM settings and a bunch of abnormal condition LEDs. It comes with enough adapter cables to hog-tie a horse.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed two battery tenders in my battery box, One for the coach, and the other one for the engine. I pulg them in when im parked in the driveway. It saves the battery life and always fully charged. The battery tender goes into storege mode once they are charged. So i would say yep put a charger on them.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #8

Forgot to mention, my BM came with a temperature compensation probe. Since they said to not extent the cable, I stuck it between my slump block wall and the siding on the west facing wall.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

forget everything you have read so far. simply turn on your aux batt switch. if it is not a clickable, tape it open. it will bypass everything including the inverter, converter and isolator. i have had mine on for two years now except when i drive it. no battery meltdown, no heat. no negative effect. it works! try it and you will know.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

I prefer the BM or BT to the on-board charger for these reasons:

1. On-board unit is microprocessor controlled, with lots of options and an output of 80 amps. If a powerline surge or lightning strike blows its brain, it is capable of overcharging the batteries and/or overheating and catching fire.

2. The small "tenders" if damaged do not have the capacity to badly overcharge my bank of five batteries. I also keep the tender at least 5 feet away from anything combustible by laying it on the concrete floor. If it burns, it won't take the garage and the MH with it.

Final note. If you fully charge all batteries with the main charger, then disconnect them, you can leave them for 60 to 90 days without a problem.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #11

one note BP. over the past two years we have endured two category 4 tornadoes that have killed 11 people total. as unfortunate as that is, i have never lost power in my airstream. in fact, after the last blowdown susan and i lived in it for two weeks using the stored battery power and our onan 6500. This was NOT my idea. my rv tech reccommended it and so far he was right. i love the feeling of starting it up on a weekend morning when it spins like michael jackson in his prime. its a 93 model. no slides. no complications. we love it!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ranger Bob.......I disagree with a lot of the information you've received except that from "radams".

First off, leave the coach plugged into shore power in the garage. Check your manual or call Tiffin and see if your inverter/charger charges the starting batteries while its charging the house batteries. Many coaches won't charge both. As "radams" suggested, check the settings on your inverter/charger to make sure you're not overcharging the batteries while its sitting. I had battery issues (slight overcharge for several years) before I called the charger manufacturer and had them tell me what settings I should use.

If your coach doesn't charge the starting batteries while its parked, you'll want to go with one of the better quality solutions on a brand new coach.

Trik-L-Start Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer makes a charger that will solve your issue without ever doing a thing. Its fully automatic, but I don't consider it to be the best product. The other two choices are outstanding products. Here they are.... Xantrex Battery Chargers | Auxiliary Battery Charger | Xantrex . Magnum
Products: Battery Monitor / Battery Combiner

I use the Xantrex and it works great behind the scenes. It only takes a few minutes to install in your battery bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Did you get the standard all electric model with residential fridge and six 6VDC batteries or the optional gas/electric fridge with 4 6VDC batteries? If all electric, then you definently want to use the installed inverter/charger (most likely a 3000W model). You also would want to turn off the fridge during storage. One thing you need to determine is if there is a B.I.R.D like controller installed that allows the chassis batteries to be kept charged by the inverter while on shore power. Many large newer rigs have these features as standard.
I would expect your rig is 50 amp service. You need to get familure with reduced 30 amp service because it not as simple as 50 vs 30 amps. 50 amp is simular to a house in that you have 2 seperate 50 amp legs with circuits divided between them. 30 amp service provides 30 amps to only one of those legs.

Dave

PS: Diplomat Don and I posted at the same time however we both more or less are saying the same thing. The B.I.R.D device works in a simular fashion to the solinoid mode of the Magnum device. All of these "battery combiner" devices are used to maintain the starter battery bank.
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #14

A lot of the helpful suggestions are based on not knowing exactly what charging capabilities the OP has. Some of you are more familiar with what coach he has than most of us. No need to dis the helpful hints that have already been posted with the information provided.

Quote:
buki posted: Forget everything you have read so far. simply turn on your aux batt switch. if it is not a clickable, tape it open. it will bypass everything including the inverter, converter and isolator. i have had mine on for two years now except when i drive it. no battery meltdown, no heat. no negative effect. it works! try it and you will know.
buki, what good is an open switch? If you mean activated, as in the contacts are closed, then I know what you are trying to say. Still, not the best option.

My MH charges both the house and chassis batteries at the same time. My friend who has a Breeze LX on the Workhouse chassis, doesn't. He has to use two chargers or Minders/Tenders.

Tags
battery