Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #1

Do I need a Class B license?

I sure this has been discussed several times. did a search which didn’t go very well so I’m creating a new post.

For a Class A rv, So the reading I found states current states require the class b license. So does this mean if I’m licensed in this state or when I’m traveling through this state.
This is where I read it.

One more topic, When pulling a trailer behind the Class A RV, Do I have to pull into the states weigh stations? I have seen a few times where there are signs that everyone pulling a trailer has to pull in.

Thanks in advance
Cwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

In regard to Drivers licenses. Here in Calif. if you drive a coach longer than 40' then you need a non-commercial Class B license. If you're from out of state and just passing through (all states) then if your state allows you drive your rig with your current class of drivers license then you're legal unless you take up residency in CA. TO the best of my knowledge all states adhere to this rule (if you're passing through or visiting then your current license is valid.)

Here's a thread I started about 2 years ago: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cali...se-321796.html

If the sign says ALL VEHICLES PULLING A TRAILER" then I'd stop. Look closely to see if it also says "ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES"
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

In NY, there's an R endorsement to class D license for RVs over 26k lbs. I have this on my license. Pretty much the same as non-commercial class B.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are legal in your home state (where your driver’s license is from), you are legal everywhere. Driver’s licenses are reciprocal across the US and Canada (I don’t know about Mexico). As for weigh stations, each state has their own rules so just read the sign carefully. Some in the west, for example, tell all livestock trailers to stock, even the guy with one horse in back. I have never been anywhere where private RVs have been asked to pull over. Note the commercial haulers taking RVs from manufacturer to dealer do have to pull over, so don’t get too concerned if you see some RVs and trailers at the weigh station.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Class B requirements are typically only for GVWR vehicles over 21,000lbs.
You also must choose interstate or intrastate in the application. One is for travel, the other is for commerce.

Most states do not require an RV pulling a trailer to weight unless it is for commerce.

Some RVer’s do get pulled over if the trailer is 24’ or longer.

Typically a simple large racing sticker will ward off the cops.

If your state requires the license, get it. If you are in an accident and someone is injured or killed, the charges and the lawsuits will be amplified without the test and license.

Pay for an instructor to train you so you pass the first time. The test requires you to be extremely thorough and the air brake test does not allow for mistakes at all.
If you hit a cone, curb or break the law it is an instant fail.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #6

There is a still-running thread about weigh stations elsewhere here at iRV2 and the extensive (and cyclical) discussion reveals these nuggets of wisdom-

1) Every state is a little different. Call the Highway Patrol in the state that issued your driver's license and tell them the length & GVWR of your RV. They will tell you what class of license you need. Ignore ALL the other advice you receive here regarding others think is right. You need to hear it from the horse's mouth.

2) Weigh stations - in the vast majority of states they are only interested in *commercial vehicles* but some states want all vehicles with trailers (even pickup trucks) to pull in. Chances are very good that even then, they are not interested in you or your RV or trailer, but if the sign says "all vehicles with...." by all means, comply.

3) States have classes of licenses for large/heavy vehicles used privately (like your RV). These licenses tend to mimic the requirements for CDL (commercial) licenses in terms of the written and skills tests. Each state will have a study guide and other info available. Your local office that issues drivers licenses may not be up to speed on non-commercial Class A or Class B (or other letters in some states) requirements but their ignorance will not save you from a ticket if they misinform you. IOW you may have to escalate any inquiries to the state capital or HiPo.

4) Don't believe ANYTHING an RV salesman says about drivers license requirements.

5) Some states require a Class B or equivalent to operate any vehicle over 26,000 lbs (not 21,000 that @Ucbyrickg mentions). The "large racing sticker" he mentions implies you are operating in commerce and you will *likely* be chased and pulled over if you blow past a weigh station. My advice is to be plain vanilla or at least not have any external paint, stickers or wrapping that promotes a brand name or business entity.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #7

You are correct, 26,001lbs. That’s what I meant but typed wrong.

Also class B license holders have a max of a 10,000lbs. Tow vehicle or trailer.

I have been told by a few Dot officers that race trailers and livestock trailers are exempt from scale stops, but have never researched each state personally.

I know RVer’s that pull 20,000lbs. Stacker trailers with show cars that never stop to weigh, but do require class A licenses in many states.

Also you are correct that many employees of the DMV’s are not educated on commercial licensing nor are average cops, typically only HWY patrol and dot enforcement officers are up to speed.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwald View Post
I sure this has been discussed several times. did a search which didn’t go very well so I’m creating a new post.

For a Class A rv, So the reading I found states current states require the class b license. So does this mean if I’m licensed in this state or when I’m traveling through this state.

This is where I read it.

One more topic, When pulling a trailer behind the Class A RV, Do I have to pull into the states weigh stations? I have seen a few times where there are signs that everyone pulling a trailer has to pull in.

Thanks in advance

From the license perspective if you are legal in the issuing state then it is legal in all other states.

As stated the reciprocity for your DL comes into play. For example, as long as it is non commercial Ohio does not require any special license for anything we care to drive. So we are legal in other states even if they have requirements for additional testing for driving over 26k for individuals licensed in their state.

As stated weigh stations are usually only commercial. Have not heard of a personal encounter from someone driving their rv getting pulled over for not going thru one.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b