RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do I Need the Bomb?

I'm replacing my A/V components -- original Sony receiver/DVD and VCR surround sound system with a newer but similar system less the VCR. It is located in a cabinet over the dinette away from the front TV. As I think about the use of this system the only use of the box of many buttons would be the source of the video -- Directv, OTA, or camp cable. I am unlikely to watch something different in the bedroom than what would be on should I be watching in the front of the coach. So, are there options to source the antenna without having to connect the Bomb? It is pretty tight in that box.

oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

This is what I used to replace my BOMB-- Winegard Company RV-7542 Wall Plate/Power Supply. My main reason for getting rid of the BOMB was the amplifier in it no longer worked, so my over the air channel selection was somewhere between very limited to non existent. The RV-7542 cured the problem and was easy to install. It allows you to hook up two TV's, has OTA channels, park cable hook-up and a spot for satellite connection. I upgraded my tv last year so the dvd player is now direct wired via HDMI cable. No need for switching device any more.
Tom

MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's what I did on my Diplomat many years ago. If you're getting a new TV it will have HDMI.

- Connect coax cable from satellite to DirecTV receiver
- Run an HDMI cable from the sat receiver to the ne TV.
- Run an HDMI cable from the DVD to the new TV
- connect the park cable coax and OTA coax to an A/B switch, then run coax from A/B switch to new TV
- Get a separate DVD player for rear TV (cheap at Costco)
- If the rear TV has HDMI, you can get a wireless HDMI unit to send HDMI form front receiver to bedroom.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

I got rid of the Bomb when I replaced the front TV. My set up is:
1. Sat receiver to front TV via HDMI. Sat to rear TV via Amazon Fire Stick and Dish Anywhere app.
2. DVD to front TV via HDMI. Rear TV via RCA jacks, existing wiring.
3. Antenna/Park Cable via coax to front and rear TV, switched by antenna amp.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

I know that I am old, have grey hair and not a lot of it, but what in the world is the BOMB?
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
That would be the Box Of Many Buttons. 🤣🤣🤣
Old 12-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's what I did on my Diplomat many years ago. If you're getting a new TV it will have HDMI.

- Connect coax cable from satellite to DirecTV receiver
- Run an HDMI cable from the sat receiver to the ne TV.
- Run an HDMI cable from the DVD to the new TV
- connect the park cable coax and OTA coax to an A/B switch, then run coax from A/B switch to new TV
- Get a separate DVD player for rear TV (cheap at Costco)
- If the rear TV has HDMI, you can get a wireless HDMI unit to send HDMI form front receiver to bedroom.
The DirecTV HS-17, genie 2 connected by coax to the antenna and to a 120 receptacle. The rest is wireless through the coach (4K TVs do require a coax or HDMI connections). No need for a DVD as the genie2 can store 450 hours of HD content. The genie 2 can serve 5 HD TVs and 2 4K TVs simultaneously with separate video streams while recording an additional 7 channels and two 4K channels.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
That would be the Box Of Many Buttons. 🤣🤣🤣
BOMB.... Ok i do believe a new video switching A/V receiver would be in order..One that allows multiple inputs and switches to one output...from there my guess all new tvs and smartphones with apps that allow one stop remote control operation..think along the lines of bluetooth connectivity.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The DirecTV HS-17, genie 2 connected by coax to the antenna and to a 120 receptacle. The rest is wireless through the coach (4K TVs do require a coax or HDMI connections). No need for a DVD as the genie2 can store 450 hours of HD content. The genie 2 can serve 5 HD TVs and 2 4K TVs simultaneously with separate video streams while recording an additional 7 channels and two 4K channels.
Everyone's use is different. If you have a Genie in your home, DirecTV will not allow a second Genie unless you start a second account. So your setup doesn't work for many. The OP didn't say if he was installing 4K TV's, so my layout is a base for the average coach.

Obviously, there are a bunch of different ways to set everything up. If you don't have a second Genie (second account) your HD receiver will not hold what a Genie can hold. There are many movies that DirecTV doesn't show and many of us have purchased on DVD, especially movies for the grandkids. So no DVD is a no go.

Again, my lay out was a base for an older coach to be modernized, not gospel.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone! Because of the audio and satellite equipment are not collocated with the front TV and that I'm dealing with an '04 (no HDMI cable run) I'm constrained by the existing cabling (component or at best composite). At some point I'll tear it all out, locate the receivers with the TV or go with a wireless Genie setup. But for now I'm doing a direct swap of an '02 Sony HTIB (dropping the VCR) and replacing with a '09 Sony HTIB system. It would be helpful to clean up some of the cable mess in the component cabinet by cutting out the Bomb. But I would lose some flexibility in choice of sources. Sigh.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #11

On our 2004 MADP the best thing I did was run a HDMI (and a new RG6 coax and Cat6 network) cable from the front cabinet to the bedroom TV in addition to the existing coax. Easy job, it took a day of my time. I run the OTA into our Dish Wally receiver with their dongle so the OTA and satellite HDMI output from the Wally can be split between the two TVs.

Park cable can still go through a coax splitter to both TVs via coax.

DVD HDMI output can go directly to the front TV. If I ever wanted DVD to the Bedroom TV (rarely if ever, we just watch satellite or OTA in the bedroom) I would just take 15 seconds to temporarily connect it to the input of the front/rear HDMI splitter. A HDMI matrix switch would make all that easier but I don't need one.

Surround sound comes out of the front TV via optical cable.

We do not have an outside TV so that is not an issue for us, but there is an existing coax down there if we ever changed our mind.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I'm kind of a low tech guy and I liked the bomb. It was never hard to figure out but I'm sure it doesn't work with all the new stuff.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You can add wireless HDMI intead of the old coax & composite. And an HDMI switch. It's only money...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You can add wireless HDMI intead of the old coax & composite. And an HDMI switch. It's only money...
Ultimately this will be the answer.