Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
The other side of the discussion here is that many manufacturers recommend never to extend the slides without first putting down the jacks. This prevewnts the slide from binding up as the rest of the MH flexes. Just something to consider.
True enough but there are RV manufactures who want the slides out first. My coach's manual says to never move the slides either direction with the jacks down. REad you manual to determine the proper use/sequence.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
As far as being level for the refrigerator, if the coach feel level to you then its level enough for the refrigerator.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Common sense says level the coach, put out slides, enjoy. What you need more than levelers is to learn how to operate and maintain your coach, including the batteries, properly. There is a good chance that the levelers are just fine but your coach battery is either dead or damaged. This will happen again unless you learn what to do.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have the Owner's Manual for your Pace Arrow?

I've never owned a Fleetwood product so I don't know the answer re. slides or jacks first. Please take the time to get the official Fleetwood answer. As previously stated some RVs are jacks first and some are slides first.

It is important that you follow their recommendations. I learned the hard way by always leveling first then putting my slides out. I ended up with 2 front slides that refused to move until they were repaired. Now I follow the manufacturers recommendation of slides out, jacks down to level, when setting up and jacks up, slides in when tearing down.

Yours may be the same or completely opposite, find out for sure.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #19

Let us just say that if you do not know what you are doing and not capable of getting local tech knowledge,just leave the slide in as it only allows space ,not function!!!
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I don't get slides in or out with the jacks up or retracted first. The slides are made in such a fashion as to operate on a level and more importantly, square opening. Having a motorhome un-level, would only promote a possibly twisted frame and put the opening for the slide out of square and alignment. I would think this would promote binding slides or worse.

Just my opinion.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I don't get slides in or out with the jacks up or retracted first. The slides are made in such a fashion as to operate on a level and more importantly, square opening. Having a motorhome un-level, would only promote a possibly twisted frame and put the opening for the slide out of square and alignment. I would think this would promote binding slides or worse.

Just my opinion.
That was always the rationale I used, until slides quit working and I broke down and read my owners manual. Now I put the slides out first and the the jacks, haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lost a jack when checking all systems for our last outing. Spent two weeks on the road at six different stopping points. Made sure the coach was level, attached to available hook-ups, put out the slides and went about our normal life to include showers, running the washer/dryer, cooking, etc. Had to use a little lumber under some of the tires in a couple of the stops but that was expeceted and prepared for. Nothing was broke when we got home that wasn't broke (the jacks) when we left. Really a great trip. Most of the time when traveling and stopping for just overnight, if it's level I don't bother with the jacks.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Lost a jack when checking all systems for our last outing. Spent two weeks on the road at six different stopping points. Made sure the coach was level, attached to available hook-ups, put out the slides and went about our normal life to include showers, running the washer/dryer, cooking, etc. Had to use a little lumber under some of the tires in a couple of the stops but that was expeceted and prepared for. Nothing was broke when we got home that wasn't broke (the jacks) when we left. Really a great trip. Most of the time when traveling and stopping for just overnight, if it's level I don't bother with the jacks.
My washer shakes the place pretty good on high spin and thats with the jacks down. I can't imagine what it would be like with out the jacks.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ever hear the old saw "If the trailer's a rockin', Don't come a knockin'"

The leveler jacks not only level the rig, they stabilize it.

That said. there are other ways to stabilize,, For example. click below:

Aluminum Stack Jacks - Product - Camping World
These jacks only extend a max of 17". Is that tall enough for a class A?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Do you have the Owner's Manual for your Pace Arrow?
Pace Arrow? Where did that info come from? I've looked at all the "registration to iRV2 info" and no RV is listed. If it's a Monaco praduct a lot of the suggestions given are opposite of the Monaco manual.
SUGGESTION: Wait til we are advised what RV is owned.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Pace Arrow? Where did that info come from? I've looked at all the "registration to iRV2 info" and no RV is listed. If it's a Monaco praduct a lot of the suggestions given are opposite of the Monaco manual.
SUGGESTION: Wait til we are advised what RV is owned.

I clicked on her name, and viewed the rest of the threads she posted and in her first post she writes "We purchased our first MH on Saturday. The 97 Pace arrow..." No need to wait she has already told us in her tire question post.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
The other side of the discussion here is that many manufacturers recommend never to extend the slides without first putting down the jacks. This prevewnts the slide from binding up as the rest of the MH flexes. Just something to consider.
Hi Jef & Cheryl

We also have a 99 Alpine 36 ft. We sure like it despite what it costs to operate and maintain. Yes, HWH says put your levelers down before extending the slide. I never tried it without doing it that way. old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #28

I made a comment regarding learning more about your coach prior to using it following another question you had. This question follows right in step with that one.

There's a very good chance there's nothing wrong with your jacks/leveling system. This could be related to the problems you've already had relating to low/no battery power! Have you figured out the differences between your chassis and house batteries? Figured out what each set powers? How each is charged? You really do need to get on top of that problem if you haven't already....