Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #15

We change ours annually ... regardless of mileage .... but its never in storage ...
X2 on the storage recommendations ....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mr_D I think you will be ok, especially because you will be using it and not storing it for mouths.
The OP Trynforpar needs to change his oil to keep his warranty in force. Your low mileage shouldn't be a problem as you have a large amount of new oil with all the additive package intact.
Ray,IN, Mobil one makes a good oil for diesels it is 5-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. I used it for the last 2 years and had excellent oil reports. This year I am running Shell T6 5-40 and am looking forward to see how the oil lab reports stack up.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
If this was not a brand new unit I would say run it till next fall then change before putting it to bed for the winter. But I always like to get an early oil change on a new motor be it gas or diesel. Reason is anything left behind on build will be dumped on the first change. I know I know new motors should not need to but I am conservative and it can't hurt.

LEN
Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #18

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
I own a 2016 Winnebago Itasca with a 400hp Cummins. The unit has 3,000 miles and I'm about to store it for the winter since I live in the northeast. Do you recommend that I change my oil and filter even though the engine only has 3,000 miles or is it ok to let it sit for the winter and change the oil next year.
Don't store that beautiful rig, come down South and we can show you a good time in South Mississippi and New Orleans.

What a waste...
Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We all talk about storage during the winter but what do they mean by storage. If I take a trip in early spring and then don't get another vacation until September was my rig in storage and should I change the oil even if it only had a couple thousand miles on it? We usually take a trip about every three months but mileage might only be a couple of thousand miles. Just wondering if my rig is ever considered in storage or if it is in storage for three months every three months. Right now I just change yearly. Opinions??
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Cummins calls for oil change by mileage OR months. With our ISL I only put about 3-4000 miles per year also. We change our oil each spring once we take the MH out of storage.

You should change it BEFORE you put it in storage, not when taking it out.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:14 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all here....also I was told to change the coolent filter with the oil??Is this typical????...8.9 cummings 450 horse...???
Old 10-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #22

coolant filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
Thanks all here....also I was told to change the coolent filter with the oil??Is this typical????...8.9 cummings 450 horse...???
I always change the coolant filter when I change oil and oil filter, why not? It's there for a reason. No one has mentioned air filters, I change mine every other year and the year I don't I take my air hose and clean it by blowing it out from the inside of the filter, not outside in.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
I always change the coolant filter when I change oil and oil filter, why not? It's there for a reason. No one has mentioned air filters, I change mine every other year and the year I don't I take my air hose and clean it by blowing it out from the inside of the filter, not outside in.
I would never use compressed air on a filter way to much chance of damaging the filter. The same with banging it on the ground. One leak path through the filter material could cost you an engine from dusting. If you change filters every 2 years I wouldn't touch it in between.
Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #24

OP - You just spent $200k - $300k on a new motorhome and you don't want to spend $300 on maintenance?

Ben Franklin said something a long time ago about being penny wise and pound foolish.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #25

I change the oil every 10 000 miles or so. Usually at a speedco on one of our trips as we dont live anywhere close to one. Changing the oil before storing it is fine but not convenient for me and im just not that anal about it. Not that theres anything wrong with being anal...what ever makes you feel good....
Old 10-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #26

Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I would never use compressed air on a filter way to much chance of damaging the filter. The same with banging it on the ground. One leak path through the filter material could cost you an engine from dusting. If you change filters every 2 years I wouldn't touch it in between.
Bill
Well, maybe you wouldn't but the company I worked for 35 years did, it works, you don't use 100 psi of course. 35 psi or so. It blows out dust, twigs, bugs. But you do your thing, I will do mine. Cat 16 cyl, Cat 12, and 8's are certainly more in value than ours an I think the mechanics knew what they were doing.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
OP - You just spent $200k - $300k on a new motorhome and you don't want to spend $300 on maintenance?

Ben Franklin said something a long time ago about being penny wise and pound foolish.
The foolish part is he has never read his warranty paperwork. Failure to follow the oil change requirements will void the engine warranty.
Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
Well, maybe you wouldn't but the company I worked for 35 years did, it works, you don't use 100 psi of course. 35 psi or so. It blows out dust, twigs, bugs. But you do your thing, I will do mine. Cat 16 cyl, Cat 12, and 8's are certainly more in value than ours an I think the mechanics knew what they were doing.
Just because someone has done something wrong for 35 years does not make it the right way to do it.
Bill