Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Do mods add value?

I enjoy reading about mods that many folks do to their rigs and wonder:

Do any of these mods slow down the rate of depreciation? Add value to the NADA price so that resell value is higher? How would the mods be valued?

The accumulated value of many mods so many folks make easily run into the many thousands of dollars. Is it all just lost investment when (if) sold?

My other curiosity is how many folks take enhancements they've made with them when swapping to another rig? e.g., mods that can easily be removed and re-used like TPMS, exterior shading, tire covers, LED's, electronics, etc. Heck, just the first 3 I list here could run over $1K to re-purchase.

'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1a. Not by any real $$$.
1b. No. Banks will not add for non-mfgr add ons
2. Not necessarily. This hobby is not for those looking to make money. But, when you go to sell, upgrades (such as replace tube tv for LED tv) or enhancements might be what makes the deal go through. There are a lot of MH for sale, every bit might help.
3. Depends on the enhancement. TPMS, take. LED tv, leave. etc.

One thing you are overlooking; most of us make enhancements for our enjoyment. I swapped out the tv from the overhead to a side location as I did not like the view from any seat in the coach. Now, every seat has a good view. If you do not enjoy this hobby then you should find another. Life is too short.

2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
We keep our MH updated (fabrics, residential fridge, solar, PSW inverter, etc) to make it more enjoyable to use and so that it will be easier to sell (when that time comes), not [necessarily] to realize an economic ROI. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Do mods add value?

There aren't any modification to an OEM RV that will add significant value above the published NADA pricing schedules. Even a full paint job on an older coach will only realize a slight bump in the price but it will only be from a perception that the coach must have been well taken care of. Placing a tangible value on perception is all in the eye of the beholder since the pricing guides won't take a lot of the features into consideration.

On the other hand if upgrades improve your ownership experience then it would have all been worthwhile to you and the heck with what anyone else would say about the value of your equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was asking the question from the perspective of does it matter doing these mods? I guess if a full paint job (7K+) adds very little residual value, smaller enhancements like solar add-ons, replacement refer, etc., etc., only contribute to help make the deal at sale time. All of which is fine, just trying to understand what mods mean to others.

I've only been considering mods that I would want and not "what will I get in return" anyhow. I realize it's not like S&B enhancements where there is a ROI. Not even sure I'd ever sell mine, haven't even had it long enough to think that way. I'm just trying to understand all aspects of my favorite hobby...
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
Old 05-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

We spent a few K's remodelling our 03 because we liked the coach and felt it was still less than going for a newer rig that did not fit our style. Will it increase the resale? I doubt it. May make it more favourable to sell but I don't think it will increase the value a whole bunch.
Our concern was and is not resale. It suits our needs and wants. We will drive it till the wheels fall off or we can no longer drive it. In the meantime, it owes us nothing and we enjoy every minute.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
When I traded in one of my coach a few years ago I left the add on solar panel on the roof. When I delivered it to the dealer they suggested I take it for the new coach and even loaned me the tools to remove it. No change in value.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the process of trying to sell my 2007 40DP and I can tell you that the answer to your question is NO.

As others have said, mods might be a selling point that makes a particular buyer choose one coach over another similar one, but there's really no value recovered from any on the many add ons I've done.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Mods are for me. Value to a potential buyer isn't even considered.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the replies. As noted, my mods are ones I would want and not necessarily others. For example, right now I'm doing the wood finishing on two new bird houses I'll be placing in the open floor area of my coach. They won't be permanently mounted but obviously that's a mod very few would want to be left inside at sale time.
With the birds...
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
i would say no on adding value

most of the time it hurts the value other then tv,s or full body paint

its like a kid that has a truck then adds big tires to it and has it way in the air and a big sounds system
now it would be hard to sell and the banks dont want that

so things you would think ppl like hurt like a
solar system more holes in roof / was right size wiring used added LBS
and 90% have added more battery's well then this system has to stay working so now it more stuff to keep working down the road
seen 2 fires started over wrong size wiring used when installing

wood / tile foor over carpet ... added more LBS to RV and slides made for carpet RVs dont have rollers so it cuts the floor when it moves in and out
then latter it gets out of line and ever moves in and out right

tire sizes not the same see this alot ppl add higher wight tires to add more to there GVWR but in so kill gearing / MPG and some times plays games on the ABS system and the TCM when there talking mostly on allison setups

moving away from a RV freg to a home type .. this all so adds higher amp loads to the RV and has to run the gen more on longer trips and is a hard mod to undo if you ever want to go back stock

this list can go on for ever and so i would never get a RV that had alot of mods

modding as most of said is a way to give you some thing to do and make it yours
but really no one planes on keeping there RV for ever and one day some guy is going to be look at it thinking did this guy know what he was doing when doing all this

a few months back i did see a guy upset posting that a website he was trying to use to sell hes RV would not add all the mods he did to the listing and he was upset about it posting here and hes price was getting cut down bad

not trying to sound hard here but just adding some thing that every one should think about
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Probably not much but it could make the difference between someone buying yours vs. someone else's without any mods....
kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
That's exactly how we feel. We find it almost comical that so many RVers try to "preserve" their RVs (ugly decorating and all) as if there is some magic to being able to offer it for sale just the way it was delivered. On the Beaver Ambassador forum I see people trying to match 10-15 year old fabrics as if there is something wrong with just buying something new and attractive and just using it.

In our S&B my DW used to re-decorate on a regular basis; she would be unhappy if she couldn't do the same thing in her MH.

And IMHO anyone who says that adding a residential refrigerator is risking re-sale value doesn't have the slightest understanding of what's happening in new MH's and higher end towables. The RV fridge is a holdover from an era when going camping meant roughing it and "getting away from it all." For lots of RVers that's not how they use their RVs.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote