Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Last year I had a CHIP blast me on his megaphone telling me that I had to drive 55mph while towing (toad). I complied and became a clog in the smooth flowing traffic.
I think that their 55mph speed is outdated and dangerous especially when everyone else is trying to get around you at 65-70mph.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #16

I guess I will ad my two cents worth. Cops do and will pull over RV/MH/TT or anything else. Why do I know this? Because I was a police office for 10 years. And, no, your large Fiberglass Rig is not stealthy. It shows up big time on most any type of radar. I have a simple policy. Just go the speed limit and no problem. Unless...? There is information out there that ties your rig to some intelligence report that it my be hauling drugs. Then, they will find a way to pull you over to inspect it. Remember, you do not have to consent to a search. Of course if you have nothing to hide, then why not cooperate?

Justdinken

Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #17

Not true. Traffic works on doppler shift, not time differential.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:

Reason # 2 Stealth Technology

You see, radar works by bouncing a signal off of a metal object and measuring how long it takes to come back to the speed gun. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #18

Justdinken is close, but not completely. Vehicles do not have the same privacy rights as your home or business. The courts have held over and over that vehicles are highly mobile and therefore do not get the same level of "unreasonable search and seizure" as does other locations. If the officer has the probable cause to pull you over, he will most likely have the PC to search your vehicle. However the search is limited by reasonable scope. If the officer has information that someone just stole a piano, he can't legaly search your ashtray. However there are about a million other reasons he could find to search that ashtray........

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Boy between doppler shifts and probable cause, you guys are taking my post way too seriously! (but honestly, you do know your stuff)

Remember this started as a comic piece full of intentionally NON-factual information in a evidently lame attempt to be funny.

Moderators - Can you put this back into the Humor section where it started out?
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #20

Not really, I just want to give some GOOD advice. And that is, a big part of how a traffic stop goes is attitude. I just don't want some poor RV'er to get huffy with some law enforcement officer if the officer hints that he may look inside your vehicle. That is a sure fire way to invoke a long uncomfortable delay on the side of the road.

Like the earlier poster said, if you got nothing to hide, why get all excited about it? Just smile, answer the questions and odds are you will be on your way quickly. And if the officer had pulled you over for a vehicle code infraction of some sort, the only prayer you have of not getting cited is being civil and friendly. Just my 2 cents.......

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've also heard that radar AND laser are useless against the fiberglass signature' of a ........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wrote a ticket or two to Corvette owners. Yes, the myth lives on.

Chris
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Because of the constitution.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Friends have often described my appearance as a cross between a washed-up hippie and a middle-eastern terrorist. However, in over four years as a full-time RVer, I haven't even received a glance from the boys in blue. While there is no doubt that RVers are pulled over for the usual reasons, we aren't exactly at the top of the list. Of course, after making this observation, I'll probably get strip-searched in the next town.

Jack
Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jackm:
Friends have often described my appearance as a cross between a washed-up hippie and a middle-eastern terrorist. However, in over four years as a full-time RVer, I haven't even received a glance from the boys in blue. While there is no doubt that RVers are pulled over for the usual reasons, we aren't exactly at the top of the list. Of course, after making this observation, I'll probably get strip-searched in the next town.

Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just hope it's an attractive female officer!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something again on the lighter side.
Coming from Alberta (NO front Lic.-Plate) I got stopped with my car here in the Vancouver area years ago, entering # 1... Female Off. comes over and stops me...
"Where is your front plate"?
doing a bit surprised
"What front plate, oh that one..... Ralph took it!" "Who is Ralph"? and I thought everybody knew Ralph, the "Premier of Alberta".....
He took the front plate away.
She runs to the rear of my car and tells me to MOVE

Never got stopped with the RV... most the time they wave you through (Seatbelt check).... easy to see now with that big glass in the front
I have not even seen an RV stopped during all the years of RVing

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #26

my partner got pulled over by two cops, he was on his way to the cat dealer and two cops pulled him over for fuel spilling out behind the coach, was only two more miles to the cat dealer so they followed him there and let him go.
I'll bet they didn't fallow to close...LOL
Old 10-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
I've actually been pulled over in the mh twice

The first time I was really annoyed about it - I was told I was pulled because I was 'swaying' too much. I was really insulted: there was a really strong gusty cross wind so I was being extra careful about staying in my lane and I think I was doing a good job of it (although I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the RV itself was tilting side to side (maybe that's what he meant - until now I just assumed he meant I was swaying in/out of the lane)). Anyway, I think I was actually mostly pulled over because we had just bought the mh a few days before and were driving with a temp tag (which was in the window so we didn't have an actual tag on the back) and the officer probably didn't even notice the temp tag so wanted to check us out to make sure everything was legit. Didn't get a ticket (so I guess I wasn't swaying that much) but I was still insulted that I was stopped!

The second time, I was actually pulled over for speeding I was driving in the middle of nowhere in Central Ontario on a rural hwy and got to a reduced speed section and honest to god, didn't even see the first sign. I think the part of the reason the officer pulled me over is because I suddendly slowed down - he thought it only did it because I saw him - I did it because I saw the second sign and I was barreling into a small village at full speed! Anyway at first he really didn't believe me but after talking to him for a while he gave me a ticket for going 5 over or something like that (I think it was under $40) so I think he realized that I probably honestly did just miss the sign and didn't even see him there (which I didn't although it wouldn't have made any difference - I really did miss the sign and didn't know I was spending until I saw the next one ahead).
Old 10-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #28

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brigadoon:
Reason #1- The optical illusion applies to the driver of the MH because he is so much higher off the ground that when in a car. This applies to SUV drivers also which is a big reason why so many SUV drivers drive so fast. However, the optical illusion does not apply to an officer on the side of the road.

Reason #2- Radar might penetrate GRP, but there's still plenty of target and reflective surface to get a reading.

Reason #3- IMHO, profiling can be a very legitimate & useful tool in law enforcement. Of course, like any tool it can be abused. The folks that want to eliminate profiling altogether are just as wrong as the folks that abuse it.

My personal experience is that if you are in an area where the police treat speeding with a reasonable degree of discretion and latitude (where we used to live in CA), then driving a conservative type of vehicle in an otherwise conservative manner at a speed that isn't outrageously beyond the speed limit will not lead to being pulled over and a citation. However, if you are in an area where the police are focused on speed enforcement (where I live today), drive an attention getting vehicle in an unconservative manner then you're likely to spend part of your day having some nice officer explain the rules to you and give you a little reminder about them.

We used to live in CA where speeding was loosely enforced, but currently live in NW WA where speeding is rigorously enforced. We've also owned about 50 vehicles ranging from a red sports car (pulled over several times) to big Benz sedans (never pulled over).

Steve Rankin is online now   Reply With Quote