RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Do Newer Class A's Still Use Hydraulic Drive Shaft Parking System?

I'm asking, because I didn't like the system on my 98 Bounder. It was nothing but trouble and I eventually removed the whole system and used my hydraulic jacks when I parked. Of course, I was praying that I wouldn't have an emergency requiring the parking brake, although I have my doubts it would have stopped the rig anyway.

Anyway, I'm replacing my Bounder and an important consideration is the parking brake. The 98 Chevy tranny didn't have a parking pawl because of the weight. Is this still the same case with all later model MH's? If not, what year should I be looking for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it still won't have a pawl unless the weight is really light. Various versions of a driveshaft brake are used with chassis that have hydraulic brakes. Buy a diesel with air brakes and you won't have to worry.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's on a Ford F53 frame it will have a drum brake on the driveshaft at the rear of the transmission. Push on the e-brake pedal inside and a cable tightens it.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

Ford chassis uses mechanical parking brakes on the drive shaft, rear differential or out on the rear wheels. Step on a pedal.

No kooky hydraulic type design.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #5

NO..........the hydraulic emergency brake on gas class A chassis is no longer used. It was only used on the P32 chassis. All others were manually operated.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
NO..........the hydraulic emergency brake on gas class A chassis is no longer used. It was only used on the P32 chassis. All others were manually operated.
Well not exactly. The Workhorse P32 was't the only Workhorse chassis to use a hydraulically controlled parking brake on the tail shaft of the transmission. The 2005-2009 Workhorse W24 chassis also used a version of this style of parking brake system. There may have been others but I know for sure the Hydraulic Parking Brake system was used on many Workhorse W24 chassis'.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Well not exactly. The Workhorse P32 was't the only Workhorse chassis to use a hydraulically controlled parking brake on the tail shaft of the transmission. The 2005-2009 Workhorse W24 chassis also used a version of this style of parking brake system. There may have been others but I know for sure the Hydraulic Parking Brake system was used on many Workhorse W24 chassis'.
Thank you, I sit corrected. I was unaware that WorkHorse used the problematic j71 & j72 emergency brake system on the W series chassis.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Sorry Tom, but the W-24 didn't use the J72 AAPB system after the 2007 model year. I'm aware the 2009 Chassis Guide says "all W-24 have the AAPB", but I'm confident that is incorrect.

The P-32 chassis had the J71 AAPB on heavier GVWR models thru the 2004 model year, and it got the J72 version in 2005, which was the LAST year for production the P series.
The R-26 chassis, aka "UFO", also has an AAPB system, but it is unique to the UFO (it isn't a J71 or J72) and apparently MUCH more sophisticated.
TO THE OP: If you want a gasser WITHOUT any sort of AAPB, you will need to avoid almost all of the Workhorse P32 chassis, the 2005-2007 W-24 series, and the rear-engine "UFO". ALL of the Workhorse W-22 series chassis and all Ford F53 chassis do NOT have a AUTOMATIC parking brake system, so there are LOTS of coaches out there for you to choose from. Happy shopping!.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The aforementioned Ford F53's and Workhorse Wxx may not have the troublesome J71/J72 systems, but they DO have a driveshaft-mounted brake rather than locking pawls on the rear wheels. Here's a previous IRV2 thread concerning it and there are several other threads about it as well. You can search to learn more.

F53 Driveline parking brake assembly

As I understand it, the later years of the F53 20,500-24,000 lb chassis have a differential mounted driveline brake but the smaller 16k and 18k chassis have a wheel mounted brake.

I'm not going to research all the years and variations for you, but it's clear you cannot generalize by year or chassis brand. Must get down to a specific chassis configuration and model year to determine the type of park & emergency brake system.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dave.....simple answer.....the newer coaches do not have the nightmare system the old Workhorse chassis used and you most likely experienced. Just do a search.....no more complaints about parking brakes with the newer coaches.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Good answer, Don. Same type of system, but much improved in function and reliability. However, we don't know how much newer Dave1194 is considering. He's upgrading from a 1998, so maybe not looking new enough to get the improvements.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The aforementioned Ford F53's and Workhorse Wxx may not have the troublesome J71/J72 systems, but they DO have a driveshaft-mounted brake rather than locking pawls on the rear wheels. Here's a previous IRV2 thread concerning it and there are several other threads about it as well. You can search to learn more.

F53 Driveline parking brake assembly

As I understand it, the later years of the F53 20,500-24,000 lb chassis have a differential mounted driveline brake but the smaller 16k and 18k chassis have a wheel mounted brake.

I'm not going to research all the years and variations for you, but it's clear you cannot generalize by year or chassis brand. Must get down to a specific chassis configuration and model year to determine the type of park & emergency brake system.
Gary: Please help me understand what you mean by " locking pawls on the rear wheels" because I've never heard of that.

Regarding the Workhorse chassis that do NOT have the troublesome AAPB systems, they were allowed to delete those miserable things because the Allison trannies have a "parking pawl" inside the tranny. Absent the tranny parking pawl, ALL of the WCC chassis above 15,000 lb. GVWR were mandated to use an AAPB system. 15,000 and below were allowed to have a manually applied parking brake.

I certainly agree whole-heartedly with you last statement.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary: Please help me understand what you mean by " locking pawls on the rear wheels" because I've never heard of that.
I didn't mean anything specific, Ed. Was just somewhat glibly contrasting the pawl-type parking lock vs the brake-type park systems. The pawl can be in the tranny or the rear axle, depending on the drivetrain design, and it locks the rear wheels. The driveline brake systems can be at various places in the driveline as well. As I'm sure you know, it's not unusual for one configuration of chassis to have one system and other configs some different design.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Sorry Tom, but the W-24 didn't use the J72 AAPB system after the 2007 model year. I'm aware the 2009 Chassis Guide says "all W-24 have the AAPB", but I'm confident that is incorrect.

The P-32 chassis had the J71 AAPB on heavier GVWR models thru the 2004 model year, and it got the J72 version in 2005, which was the LAST year for production the P series.
The R-26 chassis, aka "UFO", also has an AAPB system, but it is unique to the UFO (it isn't a J71 or J72) and apparently MUCH more sophisticated.
TO THE OP: If you want a gasser WITHOUT any sort of AAPB, you will need to avoid almost all of the Workhorse P32 chassis, the 2005-2007 W-24 series, and the rear-engine "UFO". ALL of the Workhorse W-22 series chassis and all Ford F53 chassis do NOT have a AUTOMATIC parking brake system, so there are LOTS of coaches out there for you to choose from. Happy shopping!.
Thanks for the clarification Ed. I thought the J72 AAPV stopped in 2007 as well but to confirm my thoughts I went on URVP and they seem to sell J72 parts for the 2009 W24.

Either way, I'm sure you are right and the AAPV was discontinued after the 2007 W24 chassis.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, hydraulic