Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs down Do not buy a Good Sam extended insurance plan!!!!!!

We bought a Good Sam extended insurance plan 2 years ago and had 3 claims during that time. Repairs they claimed they covered. They always found a way to get out of it not to pay.
Now this is the global straw
My Dash AC compressor went out and we had a rush truck center come out to repair the unit.
Long story short. Again they refuse to pay or pay penny's on the dollar
They do everything they can to stay under your deductible
They are a scam. I'm canceling mine today
I'm beyond words these people should be put out of business and I'm going to let everybody know
They'll never pay.
Waste of mone KEEP AWAY

Danny

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

I'll second that!

Submitted a claim to them and they said it wasn't covered even though it was a mechanical failure. Cancelled right away and it took 4 months to get a remaining balance refund check. Went with Warranty.com. Cheaper rates and more coverage!

TandI Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
good sam tries to differentiate their plan from the run of the mill extended warranty, but really its no different.
extended warranty companies are notoriously difficult to navigate through.

My best advice. If you're really clear that your item should be covered and they refuse, document your claim and sent it to the consumer protection division of your local attorney general's office if your state has one. I've had good luck forcing insurance companies to get serious by doing that.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
X 3 here!

Had their roadside assistant, may a call for a flat tire at 9pm on a sunday night and they wanted to tow me to a closed tire shop in the "hood" ? Cancelled the call and cancelled the service!
twn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Knock on wood, I have not had a problem with them and many claims and road side assistance twice - once in my driveway.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #6

We didn't get it because our coach had so few miles on her that it didn't seem worthwhile. Given the posts on this thread, I think we did the right thing.

Almost all of the money we've spent has been for things that wouldn't be covered; they were improvements.

The problem we had with jacks and slides might have been covered, but who knows? We got the MH fixed for less than the cost of deductible, and I learned a whole lot.

Thanks for the posts, guys.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had several claims with them.The The first one I had a problem with and I contacted marcus it was resolved. Every one since then no problems. I make sure that any work I have done I inform the repair service they have to get permission from Good SAms before they do any work or they will not get paid by them or me. The last claim I had was a small one and it was denied when I looked at my policy it was a legitimate denial. Items they have paid for is new high pressure fuel injector line for cummins diesel. New satellite dish, New leveling jack, New power cord reel, New control board and sensor for my wind sensor awning, Those were paid with no problem. The high pressure fuel line was some issues getting it paid but that had to do with my dealer not getting the paperwork to them in a timely manner showing I had the extended warranty.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #8

We have Good Sam and when the jack system motor burned out or failed we contact them and were sent to Ironhorse RV in San Antonio and they fixed it and we paid the deductible and went on our merry way. Clue here seems to be to contact Good Sam first and get a repair facility with a good reputation.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtjester View Post
good sam tries to differentiate their plan from the run of the mill extended warranty, but really its no different.
extended warranty companies are notoriously difficult to navigate through.

My best advice. If you're really clear that your item should be covered and they refuse, document your claim and sent it to the consumer protection division of your local attorney general's office if your state has one. I've had good luck forcing insurance companies to get serious by doing that.
Agreed that this is a viable method to getting results, courtjester. But should any of us really have to resort to such means? Granted, ANY Government Agency sniffing around into a company's [underhanded? unfair? questionable?] practices causes that company to sit up and take notice; I've gotten mechanics to grant refunds when I reported them to the local TV station's consumer reporter... But for a "reputable" company to have to be FORCED, by legal means, to comply with their own policies, I go with: Don't buy it in the first place.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #10

I have cornerstone, they pay every time.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do not buy a good sam extended insurance plan!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translators7 View Post
....My Dash AC compressor went out and we had a rush truck center come out to repair the unit........Again they refuse to pay or pay penny's on the dollar..........Danny

I have a service contract through Wholesale Warranties, managed by Allegiance, underwritten by Bankers Life. Two claims, no problems. Coincidentally, one of my claims was for a failed dash AC compressor. They paid the whole tab, including replacement belts, new refrigerant , and three nights hotel with meals. Their cost: ~~$2200. My cost: $100.

Suggest you change providers , and don't go cheap. Buy a good exclusionary plan, with Consequential Damage coverage.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #12

Yep, after a run around by Good Sam on a front end problem I cancelled with them, and went with www.wholesalewarranties.com . That was 3yrs. ago, and in that time I've needed them 4 times and they've come through without a hitch each time. Once in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. I have the XtraRide platinum coverage that includes gaskets & seals.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance