Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #1

According to an "Coach and Chassis" Q/A in the May 2007 issue of Motorhome magazine, a person asked about leaving the MH plugged in. The response stated that the batteries would "sulfate and derate" if a (typical) 13.5 volt charge is left on for an extended period. I have always left my MH plugged in year round and I have not seen any signs of sulfation in the batteries. I guess I am missing something?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #2

According to an "Coach and Chassis" Q/A in the May 2007 issue of Motorhome magazine, a person asked about leaving the MH plugged in. The response stated that the batteries would "sulfate and derate" if a (typical) 13.5 volt charge is left on for an extended period. I have always left my MH plugged in year round and I have not seen any signs of sulfation in the batteries. I guess I am missing something?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #3

my motorhome is plugged in 24-7-365. the battery charger has an equalize setting so it is switched on every 6 months to equalize and desulfate the batteries. i usually get 6 years out of the batteries before i have to replace them. 4- 6 volt golfcart and 2- 12 volt size 31.
they all get charged at the same time.
1996 kountrystar dp
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Depending on the quality of the charging system you may have to either be using voltage out of the batteries or regulate the amount of time charger is on the batteries. Those that have a good two or three stage charging system will not need to worry about overcharging the batteries. Here are a few links on batteries:
www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvgraphs.php
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm always plugged in except when on the road.

In 26 months I've had to add water once.

Does the article imply that when using the coach in one location for the winter the batteries should be disconnected??

RV Magazine articles are not always correct.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #6

As RV Wizard said, it depends on the system being used to do the charging. If it's a 3 stage inverter/charger system it's not a problem. However, it's best that the coach and it's electrical system and batteries get some use too.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #7

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
thanks for the heads up , I wasn't sure myself. I only plug in the motorcoach in the driveway the day before a road trip to get the refer going I had a electrican put in a dedicated outside box about 5 feet from the rear driver side for the shore power plug to give it a little charging. Then I use a separate 110 volt 10 amp charger for giving the coach batteries a good charge . That is what a old full timer in a 40 foot pusher told me to do .
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #8

I too read the magazine article and feel they gave an overly simplistic answer. They could have been of better service if they had mentioned three stage chargers,etc.

Paul
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #9

How do I determine the type of charging system (two/three stage?) in the coach. I don't use an external charger. Will the coach's built in inverter do the job?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:
How do I determine the type of charging system (two/three stage?) in the coach. I don't use an external charger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Look at the label on the inside of the cover of your inverter/charger. It will give the model number, and the power rating (120VAC input: 12 VDC output: 2 or 3 stage and what amperage of each stage. When you open the cover you'll find the fuses and circuit breaker switches for all the electrical circuits in your rig.

If all else fails, you might read the owner's manual for the inverter/charger that came with the unit. I couldn't resist...

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #11

Well. I didn't get any docs on the converter/charger. I looked at the converter and it states it puts out 13.5VDC with 120VAC input. Nothing about "stages" anywhere on the unit.

Just checked on the web and discovered the converter/charger that I have is a single stage. A two stage converter uses a timer to start the voltage at 14 and then drops it to 13.5 after a predetermined length of time. This is supposed to help reduce sulfation. I guess I will have to just keep an eye on the house batteries.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
BigRedLancer,

While a 3 stage charger with a "battery tender" to monitor the battery temperature (got both now) is ideal; I spent many years with a single stage charger. I am pluged in 95% + of the time. I had 4 6V Trojan T-105's for house batteries. They lasted approximately 5 years before being replaced. Make it a rule to check and fill your batteries every month!

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 04-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #13

Strange, I've left my 17 year old Winnebago/Chieftain plugged in year around for the past 7 years and not had a problem with my batteries.

Last fall I replaced my 2 - Trojan T-105 house, batteries because of a dead cell in one of them. They had been there since the spring of 2000.

My charging system is the original single stage converter that came with the coach when it was new in 1990. The only thing I do is check the water levels every 5 or 6 weeks.

Maybe they just don't make 'em like the used to.

Roger

rchonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #14

We leave our coach connected to shore power when home, but since we have a 110w solar panel with a Solar Boost 2000E controller I shut the converter off. The solar panel adequately maintains our 6 coach batteries and on a full sun day, voltage output is around 14v, however when batteries are fully charged the amperage output drops to 1.4amps. So far it works great, using the "Pro-Fill" system I check the water every 2 to 3 weeks and add if needed.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote